Compressing a PL split into 2 days

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Brando, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Brando

Brando Green Belt

Little bit of background:

I used to be a big, weak fatso. I was tipping the scales around 190ish at about 15 years old. I started boxing Christmas of last year and dropped down to roughly 150 without loosing too much strength and actually gaining some. 150 isn't too cool a weight to be sitting at for me though, because I'm 6'1. Not only that, I'm really not happy with my strength levels, and am struggling for a way to improve them. I'm a 17 year old amateur boxer who's been following a powerlifter's 3-day pull-push-squat split for awhile now. I've stepped up my face-stuffing to sherdog-appropriate levels. Unfortunately, I'm still a little bitch when it comes to moving big iron, but atleast I'm a bitch thats improving and gaining some weight now.

My lifting goals are basically just to improve my limit strength for now because I'm relatively new to lifting smart. I know I can achieve these goals following the 3 day split, but because of time constraints I'm having trouble devoting 3 days to lifting, and it'd be alot better for me if I could cram it into 2 days. I can pull off 3 if it's necessary, but I never feel like I can put in enough while sparring after a tough day of squatting, benching, etc.

Thanks to the search function, Carnal's treatise and the stickies, my routine looks like this:

pull

db snatch/deadlift 5X5
    still legged deadlift 4X8
    pull-ups/bent-over rows 4X8
    barbell shrugs 4X8

push

DB Bench 5X5
    overhead press 4X6
    close-grip bench 4X8
    dips 3X5

squat

back squat 5X5
    box squat 4X6
    good mornings 3X8
    step-ups 3X8

Supplemented with weighted/intense BW core work in the form of dragon flags, planks, hanging leg raises, ab wheel, weighted sit-ups, saxon side bends, etc.

First of all, any advice on that 3 day split would be appreciate to double check that I'm doing alright, but more importantly I'd like to know some of your suggestions on how to cram this into a 2-day routine effectively... I've read about full body work, using opposite movements, etc and was a bit overwhelmed, so I'm turning here for some advice. Just as a sidenote, while I mentioned I'd like to improve my limit strength, I'm looking for the most carry-over into my boxing in the long run, though I think I'm using quality exercises, if there's anything you guys would suggest I'd be grateful.

Any other info you need I'll be happy to provide. Thanks for the help, sherdoggers

2. Jay M.

Jay M. Yellow Belt

In the OT until I get my orange belt and then I'll
    Do something like this:

Day 1

Squats
    Front squats
    Bench press
    Dips
    Calf raises

Day 2

Deadlift
    Stiff-legged dl or good morning
    Bent row
    Standing press of some kind
    Bicep or hammer curl

Just a suggestion but a good place to start. You will have to access your weaknesses and goals to determine if you need to replace some of the exercises with ones that better target your needs.

3. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

squat
    bench
    military press
    dips
    ste-ups

deads
    chins
    rows
    GHR

4. gruesome

gruesome Green Belt

basically......

PUSH DAY

PULL DAY

5. Brando

Brando Green Belt

Thanks alot.

So the way BabyPhenom has set it up it's pretty much combined benching and squatting then seperated the pull day. If it's that simple, I feel like a jackass, hah. thanks again.

6. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

its not that. Sometimes, people tend to complicate things more instead of simplifying them. its a general rule for training, and a general rule for life.

7. SmashiusClay

SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

I gotta gree with this routine (the second one of course), if you have to use two days a week then this is what I'd go for. I would try to make three a week if you possibly can. I found training twice a week meant I was trying to do too much at once.

8. hughes

hughes Beltless Bum

Day 1
    Deadlift
    Front squats
    Military press
    Ab work

Day 2
    Squats
    SLDL
    Bench press
    Ab work

I've done that in the past but seeing it written down actually, there's a gaping hole where my upper backwork should be. Hmm