compound exercises for fat loss

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by sharaabi, Aug 4, 2005.

1. sharaabi

sharaabi White Belt

Breaking a fat loss plateu with the following routine, what do you all think? Please critique:

Saturday / Monday / Thursday - full body workouts using ONLY compound exercises of :

LEGS: hack squat or squat along with Ham curls and calf raises
    CHEST: sets bench with bar or dumbell
    SHOULDERS: military, pullovers or dumbell raises
    BACK: assisted pullups, close or wide grip rows or sometimes pulldowns,sumo dead lift
    BICEPS: EZ bar curls or hammer curls
    TRICEPS: assist dips, skull crushers or kickbacks

reps 4-8 of HEAVY weight. Once i reach 8 reps and can do 3 sets/circuits; BUMP the weight.

was: 270 (01-01-2003) - 38% body fat at 6'00
    currently :215- 220 23%ish.

2. Cmart

Cmart Aspiring Milo

Well, I'm not going to really critique the workout, but it's not great, and it's not what I'd consider emphasizing compound lifts.

But...

Compund lifts for fat loss, as a theory:

Yes, it'll work. Do the lifting, gain muscle mass, burn calories, increase resting metabolic rate, and the all-important eat less calories than you are burning, and of course you will see results. And your results seem to speak for themselves. Good job.

3. Funkster

Funkster Green Belt

One thing that confused me is that you say compound lifts only and then go on to include a whole one bicep isolation exercise in each program. Drop that and just stick with rows and chin-ups as a back\biceps movement, they should have you covered.

Also, you should probably ditch the ham curls, calf raises, pullovers, dumbell raises (that is, if by this you meant lateral or front raises) and kickbacks. The skull crushers and pulldowns might be worth getting rid of as well, but aren't quite as bad as the others.

Some core\ab work might be worth a look as well.

In fact, you should probably just follow the grouping used in this article on Urban's site (i.e. one upper body\Bench variant, one lower back\Deadlift variant, one leg\Squat variant, one upper back and one core exercise per session). You don't necessarily have to use different exercises every week like he suggests, just pick your favourites and go with them if you'd prefer that.

Obviously, lifting isn't going to be the best way to lose the weight but it seems to have worked for you so far and you get the added benefit of becoming a strong fucker in the process.

4. sharaabi

sharaabi White Belt

I sincerely appreciate all your responses here. Ive been reading a lot on forums and articles on "proven" stuff. Obviously what works for me may NEVER work you but there are some 101's that apply to everyone like calories burned> consumed = fat loss and so on.

Im just deriving a heavy circuit of 4-6 reps then MAYBE super seting.
    I was using this link as my reference as there are in MY opinion, some good quality information on here.

http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do;js...hydra?id=517831

I was referring to when he says :

" 2. Use a low volume of training.

During a fat loss diet your body has a lowered capacity to recover from physical work. This can't adapt very well to a high volume of training. Your sessions shouldn't last more than an hour, 30 to 45 minutes being best. Try to use only three to five exercises per session (three if you train only one muscle group on that day, four or five if you train two muscle groups) for three or four work sets each.

3. Train at a high level of intensity.

Your training load should be between 4 to 8 RM (reps max). You're basically performing sets of 4 to 8 reps, working close to failure (one rep short) on the first two work sets and to failure on the last one. I don't suggest working to failure on all three sets in this particular situation. "

5. PariahCarey

PariahCarey Purple Belt

Keep the bicep movements. What's the point of winning fights if you don't look good doing it?

6. Sean S

Sean S Brown Belt

Peck Deck > Bicep isolation