Complexes, LSD and Starting Strength Junior.

Moose Face

White Belt
Reaction score
I just wondered if anybody out there has tried tagging on complexes to the end of a Starting Strength style workout? I'm just concerned about recovery, trying to make sure that I don't compromise my ability to progress in the core lifts. I'd appreciate any feedback, even if it's just abuse for asking such a lame question! :redface:

My workout (3 times a week) is as follows:-

Back Squat: 3 sets x 5 reps
Standing Press: 3 sets x 5 reps
Deadlift (once a week): 1 set x 5 reps
Complex A (source: Dan John)
Bent Over Row: 8 reps
Power Clean: 8 reps
Front Squat: 8 reps
Push Press: 8 reps
Back Squat: 8 reps
Good Morning: 8 reps

Progression for complexes: start with 2 rounds, build up to 4, then add weight, drop back to 2 rounds and begin again...

PS I've only got a barbell, weights and a pair of sawhorses-that's why I'm not benching. And sorry for such an absurdly long post!

Last edited:
For the complexes there was a post by Glen Pendelay floating around here called modified Texas method I think it may be. in the faq. For the bench just floor press.

For the complexes there was a post by Glen Pendelay...in the FAQ.

Damnit, I thought I'd read the FAQ's properly! Obviously not, cos I missed this from the 'Strength and Power FAQ':-

Glenn Pendlay
'7) "Freestyle" complexes. My Olympic lifters do these once in a while. Take a barbell, a light one, and keep it moving without setting it down for 10 minutes. Do whatever you can think of. squats, presses, cleans, good mornings, push presses. Just keep it moving and do not set it down. Try to make it hard on yourself. On this one there is no need to keep track of anything, just do work for 10 minutes.'

Thanks SouthPawDude!

Back