Comparison between Chael and McGoat

pepo6ka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chael Sonnen and Conor McGregor's skills to attract viewers are unmatched and at certain points in time they had/have huge followings. But although there are lots of similarities between them, they are pretty different:

The more exposure Conor gets, the more ridiculous his actions are. YES he IS a better fighter than Chael, but when the Sonnen-Silva saga was going on, Chael had 10 or so losses, was in the game for 10+ years and basically he had seen it all, while watching Conor get crazy after dispatching a journeyman (yes, he was impressive, but Siver, no disrespect for the guy, shouldn't be the name to get a title shot after you beat) and embracing all the love of the drunken fans, you could say the guy is not used to all the attention and has a lot to learn.

Chael was a smart bussinessman who knew how to make the most of his abillity, a master troll and knew how to sell a fight and although he spoke some insane shit and looked like a delusional maniac at times, he notched a lot of top wins and fought his way to a title shot. Conor, on the other side is just being used by the UFC - the kid is really promising and talented but the UFC management is desperate to squeeze all they can from him too fast - he gets special treatment, handpicked opponents and if Aldo happens to destroy him they will throw him under the buss and kill his career.

All in all I feel sad for him because he has a potential to be the next big thing but he was rushed too soon and gets into a huge fight not knowing what to expect IMO. And if Aldo does what he has been doing for the past 10 years, Conor will fall from really high. After that Dana will do what he does best - turn his back on him and find another guy to promote, which will leave him in a position where someone with his pride would struggle.

Chael's talk landed him a lot of $$$ and a lot of things to do after retirement, but I believe Conor is too interesting for fans for his own good and career and he is one loss away from becoming one of the most hated and overlooked fighters in the long term.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I did not like him flipping off siver post glove touch. Apart from that, meh.

Chael Sonnen and Conor McGregor's skills to attract viewers are unmatched and at certain points in time they had/have huge followings. But although there are lots of similarities between them, they are pretty different:

The more exposure Conor gets, the more ridiculous his actions are. YES he IS a better fighter than Chael, but when the Sonnen-Silva saga was going on, Chael had 10 or so losses, was in the game for 10+ years and basically he had seen it all, while watching Conor get crazy after dispatching a journeyman (yes, he was impressive, but Siver, no disrespect for the guy, shouldn't be the name to get a title shot after you beat) and embracing all the love of the drunken fans, you could say the guy is not used to all the attention and has a lot to learn.

Chael was a smart bussinessman who knew how to make the most of his abillity, a master troll and knew how to sell a fight and although he spoke some insane shit and looked like a delusional maniac at times, he notched a lot of top wins and fought his way to a title shot. Conor, on the other side is just being used by the UFC - the kid is really promising and talented but the UFC management is desperate to squeeze all they can from him too fast - he gets special treatment, handpicked opponents and if Aldo happens to destroy him they will throw him under the buss and kill his career.

All in all I feel sad for him because he has a potential to be the next big thing but he was rushed too soon and gets into a huge fight not knowing what to expect IMO. And if Aldo does what he has been doing for the past 10 years, Conor will fall from really high. After that Dana will do what he does best - turn his back on him and find another guy to promote, which will leave him in a position where someone with his pride would struggle.

Chael's talk landed him a lot of $$$ and a lot of things to do after retirement, but I believe Conor is too interesting for fans for his own good and career and he is one loss away from becoming one of the most hated and overlooked fighters in the long term.

I see nothing wrong with Conor getting a shot at the belt by beating Siver. It's in comparison to Jones getting the shot at Shogun with his win over Bader same with Glover . It happens I say let's enjoy all the lead up and the fight it's going to be very interesting.

I see nothing wrong with Conor getting a shot at the belt by beating Siver. It's in comparison to Jones getting the shot at Shogun with his win over Bader same with Glover . It happens I say let's enjoy all the lead up and the fight it's going to be very interesting.

that was cuz rashad got injured.

Siver didn't touch gloves and disrespected him, so f**k it, I was cool with it and it got me pumped ...

"Conor said a bad word .... WAAAAAAA" This is what Conor haters sound like to me ...

Conor was promoting himself long before the UFC signed him. He'll continue to do so even if he's beaten to a bloody pulp by Aldo.

Connor put his hand out to touch gloves, Siver shook his head and then Connor flipped him off. It was not after they touched gloves, Siver denied and got flipped off.

Not exactly the worst thing that has happened in the Octagon

Conor was promoting himself long before the UFC signed him. He'll continue to do so even if he's beaten to a bloody pulp by Aldo.

And no one is gonna buy it. People at the moment are delusional about his skill and abillity. If he gets crushed his fan base will be nowhere near the current lvl.

So many people saying Aldo wins this fight, ... I just don't see it.

Aldo hasn't looked great in his last few fights, Mini Mendes pushed him hard 5 rounds, KZ was gaining momentum and had him backing up and gassing before freakishly dislocating his own shoulder, Hominick had him on his back the entirety of the 5th round ... Aldo also cuts a lot of weight and is prone to gassing ...

McGregor is going to take Aldo APART... Conor haters are in denial.

Siver didn't touch gloves and disrespected him, so f**k it, I was cool with it and it got me pumped ...

"Conor said a bad word .... WAAAAAAA" This is what Conor haters sound like to me ...

he literally called him a Nazi why the fuck would Siver touch gloves with him?

pepo6ka, there certainly are parallels between them.
For example, after the fight when connor said "i meant 2 rounds not 2 minutes".

That's classic chael. Straight faced, in your face exaggeration.

McGregor is an ENFJ. He is like Tupac. He is a rallier and champion of his people.

ENFJs are natural-born leaders, full of passion and charisma. Forming around two percent of the population, they are oftentimes our politicians, our coaches and our teachers, reaching out and inspiring others to achieve and to do good in the world. With a natural confidence that begets influence, ENFJs take a great deal of pride and joy in guiding others to work together to improve themselves and their community.

ENFJs are genuine, caring people who talk the talk and walk the walk, and nothing makes them happier than leading the charge, uniting and motivating their team with infectious enthusiasm.

I think Sonnen is an ESTP. They are similar types. Two of the most daring types.

Aldo hasn't looked great in his last few fights, Mini Mendes pushed him hard 5 rounds, KZ was gaining momentum and had him backing up and gassing before freakishly dislocating his own shoulder, Hominick had him on his back the entirety of the 5th round ... Aldo also cuts a lot of weight and is prone to gassing ...

Aldo had 1 bad weight cut he is not prone to gassing. That's something people wanna believe and made up basically. Mendes is a hell of a fighter with a lot more athleticism and power than Conor, sure not that good footwork and striking accuracy but a freak wrestler and yet lost 4-1 rounds. KZ lost every round up to the finish. I don't know what you are talking about at all.

He only did that cause siver refused to touch gloves. Gotta love the conor haters though. They are a fun bunch..

Chael is a good fighter with high intelligence, charisma, troll tendencies and a heart of gold.

Conor is a great fighter with very high narcissistic tendencies, very little self awareness and the heart of a savage.

agreed.....despite all Chael's shit talk he seems like a very nice person, not saying Greg is bad but i don't think he is nearly as nice

Oh I'm with Conor all the way. But I also have absolute faith that a loss is not going to be the end of McGregor.

And no one is gonna buy it. People at the moment are delusional about his skill and abillity. If he gets crushed his fan base will be nowhere near the current lvl.

As would happen to Aldo...and Jones...Cain, Petis, Lawler...every champion. People love a winner, the difference is Conor has more to offer than just victories. He's an interesting fighter to watch inside the Octagon and outside it.

Last edited:
Back