Comparison between Chael and McGoat

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by pepo6ka, Jan 19, 2015.

1. pepo6ka

pepo6ka Blue Belt

Chael Sonnen and Conor McGregor's skills to attract viewers are unmatched and at certain points in time they had/have huge followings. But although there are lots of similarities between them, they are pretty different:

The more exposure Conor gets, the more ridiculous his actions are. YES he IS a better fighter than Chael, but when the Sonnen-Silva saga was going on, Chael had 10 or so losses, was in the game for 10+ years and basically he had seen it all, while watching Conor get crazy after dispatching a journeyman (yes, he was impressive, but Siver, no disrespect for the guy, shouldn't be the name to get a title shot after you beat) and embracing all the love of the drunken fans, you could say the guy is not used to all the attention and has a lot to learn.

Chael was a smart bussinessman who knew how to make the most of his abillity, a master troll and knew how to sell a fight and although he spoke some insane shit and looked like a delusional maniac at times, he notched a lot of top wins and fought his way to a title shot. Conor, on the other side is just being used by the UFC - the kid is really promising and talented but the UFC management is desperate to squeeze all they can from him too fast - he gets special treatment, handpicked opponents and if Aldo happens to destroy him they will throw him under the buss and kill his career.

All in all I feel sad for him because he has a potential to be the next big thing but he was rushed too soon and gets into a huge fight not knowing what to expect IMO. And if Aldo does what he has been doing for the past 10 years, Conor will fall from really high. After that Dana will do what he does best - turn his back on him and find another guy to promote, which will leave him in a position where someone with his pride would struggle.

Chael's talk landed him a lot of $$$ and a lot of things to do after retirement, but I believe Conor is too interesting for fans for his own good and career and he is one loss away from becoming one of the most hated and overlooked fighters in the long term.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. stevenseagle

stevenseagle Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

3. Philtard

Philtard Red Belt

I did not like him flipping off siver post glove touch. Apart from that, meh.

4. FEDORRULEZ

FEDORRULEZ Black Belt

didnt see the flip

5. Pangi

Pangi Green Belt

I see nothing wrong with Conor getting a shot at the belt by beating Siver. It's in comparison to Jones getting the shot at Shogun with his win over Bader same with Glover . It happens I say let's enjoy all the lead up and the fight it's going to be very interesting.

6. SUCDANUT

SUCDANUT Blue Belt

Conor will end up like Chael

7. Blicious

Blicious Blue Belt

that was cuz rashad got injured.

8. Goonerview

Goonerview Gold Belt

Siver didn't touch gloves and disrespected him, so f**k it, I was cool with it and it got me pumped ...

"Conor said a bad word .... WAAAAAAA" This is what Conor haters sound like to me ...

9. Rittsy

Rittsy Red Belt

Conor was promoting himself long before the UFC signed him. He'll continue to do so even if he's beaten to a bloody pulp by Aldo.

10. jimbo2779

jimbo2779 Blue Belt

Connor put his hand out to touch gloves, Siver shook his head and then Connor flipped him off. It was not after they touched gloves, Siver denied and got flipped off.

Not exactly the worst thing that has happened in the Octagon

11. sampuncher

sampuncher Purple Belt

That's because you're on Conor's dick 24/7 of course it did.

12. pepo6ka

pepo6ka Blue Belt

And no one is gonna buy it. People at the moment are delusional about his skill and abillity. If he gets crushed his fan base will be nowhere near the current lvl.

13. Goonerview

Goonerview Gold Belt

So many people saying Aldo wins this fight, ... I just don't see it.

Aldo hasn't looked great in his last few fights, Mini Mendes pushed him hard 5 rounds, KZ was gaining momentum and had him backing up and gassing before freakishly dislocating his own shoulder, Hominick had him on his back the entirety of the 5th round ... Aldo also cuts a lot of weight and is prone to gassing ...

McGregor is going to take Aldo APART... Conor haters are in denial.

14. Slapchoppin

Slapchoppin Brown Belt

he literally called him a Nazi why the fuck would Siver touch gloves with him?

15. OvaryHugger

OvaryHugger Let's Palaver! Platinum Member

pepo6ka, there certainly are parallels between them.
    For example, after the fight when connor said "i meant 2 rounds not 2 minutes".

That's classic chael. Straight faced, in your face exaggeration.

16. JonesBones

JonesBones Excuse my contraflow

McGregor is an ENFJ. He is like Tupac. He is a rallier and champion of his people.

I think Sonnen is an ESTP. They are similar types. Two of the most daring types.

17. pepo6ka

pepo6ka Blue Belt

Aldo had 1 bad weight cut he is not prone to gassing. That's something people wanna believe and made up basically. Mendes is a hell of a fighter with a lot more athleticism and power than Conor, sure not that good footwork and striking accuracy but a freak wrestler and yet lost 4-1 rounds. KZ lost every round up to the finish. I don't know what you are talking about at all.

18. bigconan

bigconan Silver Belt

He only did that cause siver refused to touch gloves. Gotta love the conor haters though. They are a fun bunch..

19. Coyotexx***

Coyotexx*** Green Belt

agreed.....despite all Chael's shit talk he seems like a very nice person, not saying Greg is bad but i don't think he is nearly as nice

20. Rittsy

Rittsy Red Belt

Oh I'm with Conor all the way. But I also have absolute faith that a loss is not going to be the end of McGregor.

As would happen to Aldo...and Jones...Cain, Petis, Lawler...every champion. People love a winner, the difference is Conor has more to offer than just victories. He's an interesting fighter to watch inside the Octagon and outside it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015