Comparing experts in flexibility once and for all.

Lemonrise5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I became a flexibility junkie lately.
It seems that on internet there are four names assosiated with flexibility training.
First one is Tom Kurz. He has been around for about 15 years. His ads appeared in black belt for a long time. He is know for sitting in split in the middle of chairs. To prove that is he is straight and counter balance his shorts, he has a girl or a child with him. lol
Second one is Pavel Tsatsauline been around for 10 years. Markets himself on "Russian Secrets" Calls everyone a comrade and makes many claims of teching special forces, whom for whatever reason need a full split in a gun fight. lol
Third Matt furey. I would not give this fat ass any credit, but there is a picture that of him doing a front split. Hopefully no air brushing was used. I don't see him doing a side split anytime soon.
Fourth is Paul Zaichik. He has been arounf for only 3 years or so and he is fairly young. He likes the "straight to the point" approach.

Products.
Kurz 1 DVD 2 Books. Still has a momentum that was build up over the last decade and a half. The videos are rather simple, and unfortunately did not work for me, when I tried it.
Pavel A number of flexibility videos and books. Mainly relies on PNF and other tricking mechanism. The books are ok, but the videos show "I don't give a fuck" attitude.
Furey I saw his stuff on line for free. Nothing extra ordinary as he claims. he is flexible bending backward that's about it.
Zaichik 4 DVDs, one about splits. 1 book.
Probably the freshest approach to flexibility I seen. He uses sequencing of stretches. Pressure points, properties of oils, etc. more info in his DVD than other DVDs. Plus he gives out a lot of free info.

If anyone has any comments or has different oppinion than mine I would love to hear it.

Zaichik 4 DVDs, one about splits. 1 book.
Probably the freshest approach to flexibility I seen. He uses sequencing of stretches. Pressure points, properties of oils, etc. more info in his DVD than other DVDs. Plus he gives out a lot of free info.

If anyone has any comments or has different oppinion than mine I would love to hear it.

Never heard of Zaichik---unless this is the elastisteel guy?

I've been a big fan of Kurz for many years; dynamic stretching made a massive difference to my flexibility in a rather short period of time, and I've always liked how he backed up his claims with science, and obviously, the ability to kick way over head height.

Through only dynamic stretching preWO, I was able to almost achieve a full front split; a full side would have taken daily work through PNF and cold static, though.

I too would like to improve my flexibility and posted about it a while back. The only one I've seen is Furey's videos and they're classic PNF stretching. A decent product, but probably no better than any of the others.

I bought the Magnicent Mobility DVD and tired the trick tutorials and some other stuff. The MM was good but very limited in scope and very over priced. The other ones had bits and pieces that I use.

Magnificient Mobility was good, but it strikes me a useful only for guys who are VERY tight in the lower body/hip area; I think anyone involved with any kicking or grappling would find it way too simplistic. At least, that's what I found. Solid drills and science for rehab and problem areas, though. Pricey

Trick Tutorials is basically Kurz's Scientifically Stretching online w/ vids. Excellent website.

I bought the Magnicent Mobility DVD and tired the trick tutorials and some other stuff. The MM was good but very limited in scope and very over priced. [/url]

Thank you-- I have gotten a lot out of Eric C & Mike R's articles & have been looking for a 'real' review of Magnificent Mobility before I plunked down $50/$60. Thank you!

Anybody actually seen the Ryan Hall stretching thing?

Never heard of Zaichik---unless this is the elastisteel guy?

I've been a big fan of Kurz for many years; dynamic stretching made a massive difference to my flexibility in a rather short period of time, and I've always liked how he backed up his claims with science, and obviously, the ability to kick way over head height.

Through only dynamic stretching preWO, I was able to almost achieve a full front split; a full side would have taken daily work through PNF and cold static, though.
Yep, the elasticsteel guy.

I'm a big fan of Tom Kurz... i have a very old and battered edition of his 'stretching scientifically' book and it's most excellent.

Mattt, Have you tried other methods as well?

I've tried pnf and various static stretching methods. I did Tae Kwon Do for about 15 years so i have been very flexible previously.

I lost a large amount of flexability following a year break from martial arts (i needed a series of operations on my foot), that was when i checked out Kurz' stuff.

I've had better results with this than with any other method i've used.

Any of you guys try Yoga? Tons of different styles, lotsa schools teach it at different price levels and hot chicks are usually in the classes. :)

Seriously, I love Yoga... it kicks ass and gets you opening up areas you never knew were even tight. Plus the breathing component is great in itself for fighters.

i seen elastic steel guy's work. its pretty good. i like it. its very basic i like how he tries to show which part might be the problem you have. his voice is kinda weird though. kinda like the gold pharmacy guy from family guy

Back