Coming back after injury/illness

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Teamdave, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Teamdave

Teamdave Yellow Belt

Question,

I had a coup le of amature MMA fights and was working towards my first pro fight when I wasstruck down with illness and I have been out for 7 months with virtually no exercise in that time other than walking to work etc. I have now been cleared by a Doc to get back into training, whats the best way to do it???

Do I go back to the gymnad spend a good 3 months doing str training to get my str back and start doing a bit of running so my fitness is up and then head back to my MMA class and use it to maintain what I have built at the gym or should i just head back to class and start training (obviously slowly at first) and just building my str and fitness back while training.

I can't afford to pay gym membership and class fees at the same time so I will have to do one then the other, just curious if anyone has some good advice for getting back into it after a long term lay off.

thanks for your help!

2. Dutch_Henry

Dutch_Henry White Belt

welcome back! Downtime can really mess with your head.

I had a 2 mo+ layoff last winter due to a nasty bout with pneumonia. FWIW, I opted for str & conditioning work in the gym. I felt like that's what I needed most...just basic, controlled movements to shore up my strength and cardio. It was a little humbling to see how much I lost & personally I needed the solo time & basic exercises to heal up and get my confidence back.

one option would be taking 6+ weeks to do roadwork, intervals, and bodyweight training and then go back to MMA. Work flexibility, conditioning, & muscle endurance so you can enjoy the drilling and sparring. Just make sure you're not paying to sit on the mats and watch.

3. JinKazama

JinKazama Red Belt

dude what did u have that took u out for 7 months?