Come share your vegetable-eating tips

JohnnyBuddha

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey, so we all know we should eat plenty o' veggies but if you're like me, you might have made a dedicated effort to eat them here and there, only to fade back to a low-veggie diet after a week or so. So I'm hoping some of you might have some tips on meals to make and approaches to eating veggies that can help everyone out. Here are a few I've discovered lately:

1. Grilled Veggies: I didn't buy into the hype about this until earlier this spring. Add some oil and spices to sliced veggies and grill them until they get some grill marks (a little shorter or longer is fine...). Zucchini, eggplant, and green/red peppers so far have been great.

2. Cabbage: There are many great things about cabbage. One is it's easy to cook into a stir-fry-ish dish. Just add some oil to a pan, some onions, and a bunch of cabbage. Add some sauces (I like to add some soy sauce and a szechuan sauce), maybe some almonds or cashews, and you have a solid side or main dish that's full of goodness. Cabbage is also very hardy and very cheap so you can keep it around for a long time.

Green Beans cooked properly (pref. but rarely fresh) with olive oil and sliced almond. Some large grain salt to get the taste without overdoing it, and you're golden.

Hi,

I was never too big on vegetables until I started posting here.

I just ate Swiss chard with pomegranate vinaigrette and some blue berries and sliced apple. Damn was it good.

What I find nice is to mix vegetables with fruit and eat that as a snack. Maybe include a few nuts as well, like almonds.

Earlier today I had half a fresh mango with some steamed broccoli. Apples go well with broccoli also.

If you can't tolerate vegetables fresh, try to lightly steam them. I recommend a bamboo steamer, which can be bought at Wal-Mart for 10 dollars.

I know a girl that loves steamed asparagus with peanut butter.

Bamboo-Steamer-1.jpg

I'm eating a huge plastic bowl of raw cabbage and broccoli with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing while I wait for my steaks to defrost :)

Roasting.

Cut the veggies into chunks, lightly coat in oil, spices. 350 for about 35 min. Delicious.

Grilling+1

Try tomato on the grill. slice in half, put a little x in the top with a knife, oil, spices, and worchestire sauce.

I've been adding some dried cranberries to my green beans before steaming them. Adds a very welcome element to something that is ordinary and plain. I've been grilling alot of zucchini and portobello mushrooms lately too and topping them with some fresh herbs like chive, dill, and basil.

Green Beans cooked properly (pref. but rarely fresh) with olive oil and sliced almond. Some large grain salt to get the taste without overdoing it, and you're golden.

Very good suggestion. I hate veggies but love green beans+sliced almonds grilled w/ olive oil.

I just munch on spinach leaves. Bring it all in some tupperware to work along with the rest of my food.

grilled asparagus + balsamic vinegar + shaved parmesan cheese = delicious

grilled asparagus + balsamic vinegar + shaved parmesan cheese = delicious

Organic baby spring mix, add extra baby spinach, EVOO & balsamic vinegar. Add a little fresh grated Parmesan & fresh black pepper. I just ate 2+ cups of that actually.

Sheeeit, so much of this is making me hungry. Tons of great ideas.

Though it's not a vegetable, I've recently become obsessed with avocadoes. 2-3 of them with 1/2-whole tomato, green onions, lime or lemon juice and some salt is some great guacamole. A good cook on this site gave me that mix a while back. Can't believe I've lived so long without avocadoes. I throw them in salads, sandwiches, etc. Esp. good for me because I'm trying to gain weight and they're high in some good fats.

I love avocados too. It's hard to get decent ones here though.

I love avocados too. It's hard to get decent ones here though.

Yeah man, they're expensive here. I don't even know if they'd be considered good, but I don't know any better! At this time of year in SW Ontario you can get 5 for about $0.79/ea. Much better than the winter when they're over a dollar each.

I usually just put tons of hot sauce on my veggies that seems to work for me or sometimes I might put some A1 or BBQ on it. Though I don't think A1 or BBQ sauce is good for you. :icon_conf

I like to cut up squash, zuchini, and broc and put it in a skilled with some olive oil and then add some seasoning. You can throw in onion also.

I scramble the leftovers into my eggs in the morning.

I usually steam my vegetables so they are soft and juicy. Its nice and easy taste great

Stuff your chicken with spinach, feta, and basil pesto.

Serve chicken stuffed with salsa (preferrably homeade or refrigerated from store...none of that crap that you don't have to refridgerate) over whole grain rice mixed with diced bell peppers and onions.

Spinach and Avacodo dip

You can incorporate veggies INTO every dish, not just as a side dish.

Feed the broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, cabbage, green beans, bell peppers, onions, cale, and corn to a cow then eat the cow...

Now in all seriousness, and because I actually like vegetables, I simply can't beat steamed. I used my rice steamer cooker, which has a steamer basket. I put some salt and chopped garlic in the steamer water to lightly flavor the veggies. I cook them al dente then toss them with some olive oil and pepper.

Back