College grads: How long were you paying off your loans?

Community college was only $11 a unit when I first started.

So I never needed a loan.

Graduated 10 years ago and I am still paying, but it's less then $100 a month so not a big deal. I make payments larger then the minimum whenever I can and it's not much of a burden thankfully because I went to a state school.

They don't allow us to work going full time for this doctorate. I will owe like 60k. I imagine 10 years.

I started with around 35k, and now close to half way done. If things go well and remains at the same pace, I'll finish it off in mid 2017 or early 2018.

Scholarships baby!
Remember those kids in High School that got teased endlessly for being brainy???
It's good to know the kids who made my high school life hard are poor now.

hqdefault.jpg

i was at about 40k in debt after college, and paid it off in two years. luckily, i was able to find employment right after school, and lived with my folks for those two years. as soon as i paid off my loans, i started looking for a place on my own, and the rest is history.

graduated with no debt.

I kind of regret not working while in school, but its the current situation I'm in, so whatever.

i was at about 40k in debt after college, and paid it off in two years. luckily, i was able to find employment right after school, and lived with my folks for those two years. as soon as i paid off my loans, i started looking for a place on my own, and the rest is history.

I'm doing that now, although I get shit from most people I know, paying $500 rent is hard to beat; I get a whole house with it. Work and the gym is in downtown so public transit covers everything as well.

No debt for me. I was in state and only had room and board one semester.

No debt for me as I worked.

Cool bro story:
Saved as much as I can and took as many classes as possible per semester once I was at university. Saved me one semester and only spent 1.5 years at the place.

For the ones with loans, pay attention to the interest rate. If it's more than 3-5%, pay as much as possible (unless you can invest with higher return). That shit adds up quick and you're giving money away.

Graduated with no debt. Lived off grants, scholarships and part time work.

graduated in 2012 with about 25k in debt. paid it off in a year. a whole lot of credit cards and some balance transfers and leveraging better interest rates against another.

Basically I transferred all my student loans over to credit cards via balance transfers (3% fee) towards the end of my senior year since I was able to project my salary. I paid them in full within the 12-15 months of 0% interest i had with the balance transfer. Towards the end of this period, I was running low on money so I opened new credit cards and put all my daily spending on them while I paid them off in full so I didn't get charged any interest. basically I've repeated this every 9 months to a year since I've had other big expenses (bought a house, got engaged, got married, went on a 3 week honeymoon in europe), so I keep opening cards and paying them in full within a year of opening them while still under 0%

i'm paying it off as slow as possible over 20 years.. interest is so low that it's basically free money

im entering my last semster once all is said and done ill be looking at 40k....i will probably die before its paid off, just sayin.

im entering my last semster once all is said and done ill be looking at 40k....i will probably die before its paid off, just sayin.

Move back with your parents. You'll be amazed how much money you can save. I know it doesn't sound good right now, but you can always get out again in a few years.

I worked in the summers and our summers were like 4 months long so I graduated with 4700 in debt. I then took a small line of credit out and paid my credit cards and student debt to the tune of 7000 at 4% I paid that off within the following summer and avoided trappings like a car loan for a couple years.

Move back with your parents. You'll be amazed how much money you can save. I know it doesn't sound good right now, but you can always get out again in a few years.
Dont think girl and kids will want to live in my dads basement with me, but you never know until u ask i guess!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back