Colby Covington has the most to lose on Saturday

blaseblase

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
He's been in a unique and privileged position at welterweight. Over the past several years he's been highly inactive and extremely selective about who he will fight but the UFC keeps giving him title shots and let's him maintain a high spot in the rankings, despite having done nothing to earn it.

His last win was over a year and a half ago against an 0-2 Masvidal, who went on to lose and retire shortly afterwards. Prior to that he fought an 0-2 Woodley, who would never win a fight again in the sport. Prior to that he beat an 0-2 Lawler. Notice a trend here? His last relevant win over a fighter on a winning streak was 5 and a half years ago against RDA.

Saturday is his final opportunity to change the narrative about his career. A win will prove he deserved that ranking for all those years. But a loss and he was never that good, and played the system by only fighting washed veterans. He's 35 about to turn 36. This seems to be his last chance to make a name for himself in mma.

Leon losing to Colby may actually be worse as he probably won't get a guaranteed rematch, plus the embarrassment of losing to said Colby.

Either way, Paddy has the most to lose considering he's got the biggest and broadest fan base, based all on hype and losing to the corpse of Tony on a 6 fight skid is a terrible look.

Side note, did Colby delete or get kicked off instagram?

If he loses then he probably has to move to 185. There might be some fun fights such as Dustin but I don't think Dustin will entertain it until both guys are washed.

Leon losing to Colby may actually be worse as he probably won't get a guaranteed rematch, plus the embarrassment of losing to said Colby.

Either way, Paddy has the most to lose considering he's got the biggest and broadest fan base, based all on hype and losing to the corpse of Tony on a 6 fight skid is a terrible look.

Side note, did Colby delete or get kicked off instagram?
Paddy didn't have that much potential in the first place imo. He's an overachiever if anything. Colby was legitimately the second best guy in the division 4 years ago.

Pretty sure the UFC hooked him up, 1. with a title shot, 2. with some money and options post title shot. Colby could have sent Jorge to prison for years. And they played ball with Colby. Would love those details.

It's my humble opinion that one have nothing to lose when he/she is constantly given opportunities that is not earnt.

You guys can have your opinions too of course.

I would pay decent money to see him get slapped around at Middleweight.
You probably aren't going to like it. It's towards the end of his career and he is probably going to show up short notice in a title eliminator or belt. That division is fickle. People get injured or pull out all the time. He is going to get rewarded with undeserved contender shots.

You probably aren't going to like it. It's towards the end of his career and he is probably going to show up short notice in a title eliminator or belt. That division is fickle. People get injured or pull out all the time. He is going to get rewarded with undeserved contender shots.

Colby would get the shit beat out of him by someone like Whittaker. Colby getting unearned opportunities is like saying water is wet.

Paddy didn't have that much potential in the first place imo. He's an overachiever if anything. Colby was legitimately the second best guy in the division 4 years ago.

Sure, but paddy has the popularity which leads to bigger fight, pay and exposure. Losing to legit prospect may be recoverable, losing to Tony, not so much.

Colby would get the shit beat out of him by someone like Whittaker. Colby getting unearned opportunities is like saying water is wet.
Robbie is looking for a fight with Usman. God forbid we see Colby and Usman 3 at MW. I don't think Colby will entertain the non popular regular contenders at MW. It would be fun to see Khamzat and Colby but it's like wasting another year for Khamzat. I just want to see Khamzat fight someone ranked in the MW. The promotion is not above making nonsense fights like Colby vs Israel either. I also want to keep Colby away from Strickland. He can beat Strickland because of the matchup.

If he loses then Poirier or Wonderboy would make sense. However a wildcard that I'd like to see, if the UFC does Islam/Gaethje next, if Colby vs Oliveira! The UFC's biggest fan-favorite vs its biggest heel. Not sure at what weight class but it would be a perfect fight for UFC 300 imo. Charles via sub?

I see Colby's entire career being on the line.

I don't see him working his way back up the rankings fighting the best of the division.

He's had a very strange and unusual path to the titleshot, his claim is hardly indisputable..

colby has everything to gain. if he wins, holy fuck you will never hear the end of it. the rivers will flood over with the tears of salty virgins and terrorists.

Probably still would try and get 1 win and wait for another title shot if he loses. Fucking works every time. What a shitty precedence.

Back