Cody Garbrandt's head movement is nonexistent

Brom Bones

Where's that little soy boy, bitch Ichabod?
@Black
Reaction score
I was watching the coaches' corner commentary and I noticed at the end of TJ's version, one of the coaches says something to the effect of, "Every time he throws, he leaves his head right there."

So I went back and rewatched it and they were absolutely right. If fact, Cody has very little head movement at all. He moves his body, not his head. This is the exact opposite of TJ.

I'm frankly a bit surprised no one else, especially Cruz, hasn't capitalized on it. I know his 1st amateur fight ended fast with Cody laid out (look it up). I'm just shocked a person with no head movement got the title. I guess his offensive weapons covered up his defensive deficiencies.

Seriously, watch the fight and just pay attention to that one aspect. Also, the TAM coaching is garbage. Once Cody really started to get his ass kicked, they didn't even say anything. Like they knew it was inevitable and just accepted it.

You’re right, I noticed that too. Which is crazy bc he used to have great head movement. I first noticed it in the Thomas Almeida fight. I wonder what happened.

Somewhere in the world Edmond Tarverdyan was watching the fight yelling "head movement" <45>

I'm frankly a bit surprised no one else, especially Cruz, hasn't capitalized on it.

No, his defense against Cruz was brilliant.

This was just a case of a fighter getting emotional and throwing all his technique out the window.

Cody is probably kicking himself because he knows he fucked up bad in the sense that he didn't really use his skills but rather he let his emotions take over.

osRQew5.gif

lol.

Dillashaw makes it difficult to move your fucking head, since he comes at you from 50 angles. lol.

Dom Cruz broke it down nicely in that first fight. Paraphrase: TJ attacked the legs, forcing Cody to retreat his legs, making him leave his head hanging. TJ faked a low kick, forcing Cody to push his hips back, then went high, catching him.

12:00 mark:

It's pretty obvious that in a sport like MMA, somthing like head-movement isn't really the be all end all, since your have so many different angles and the added threat of kicks to the fucking head.

He actually has good head movement but In this fight it was non existent
Terrible performance, no idea what he was thinking playing rock em sock em in the pocket like that

lol.

Dillashaw makes it difficult to move your fucking head, since he comes at you from 50 angles. lol.

Dom Cruz broke it down nicely in that first fight. Paraphrase: TJ attacked the legs, forcing Cody to retreat his legs, making him leave his head hanging. TJ faked a low kick, forcing Cody to push his hips back, then went high, catching him.

12:00 mark:

It's pretty obvious that in a sport like MMA, somthing like head-movement isn't really the be all end all, since your have so many different angles and the added threat of kicks to the fucking head.

Nice.

He has gureat head movement as seen VS Dom.

TJ is just so good he made him look horrible

Threw his technique out the window and fought with emotion. Sad.

You’re right, I noticed that too. Which is crazy bc he used to have great head movement. I first noticed it in the Thomas Almeida fight. I wonder what happened.

His head movement is good when he's fighting defensively like he did against cruz, but when cody gets aggressive on the attack his head is straight up there and his whole upper body looks stiff.

He has gureat head movement as seen VS Dom.

TJ is just so good he made him look horrible

He has great defensive head movement, but when he bangs in the pocket he keeps his head straight up in the air. Watch all the exchanges where TJ hit cody...cody's head is straight up as he swings his right hand, his lead hand is down not protecting his face, while TJ gets his head off the ccenter line, has his left hand protecting his face, and lands his own right.

thats not necessarily a bad thing
not many fighters use head movement in Muay Thai for example, or you might tiger knee'd in the face

The type of head movement he used against Dom is dangerous to use against someone as kick heavy as TJ.

His head movement is good when he's fighting defensively like he did against cruz, but when cody gets aggressive on the attack his head is straight up there and his whole upper body looks stiff.

This. You beat me to it.

The difference between Cody and TJ is that TJ is constantly moving his head off line when he throws. Cody’s head movement is great when he’s just defending, but non existent when he throws. Plus he keeps his chin up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back