Cody Garbrandt vs. Augusto Mendes

Young Turkey

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this fight?
Mendes is the underdog. I don't know much about Cody, besides that he trains at TAM.

What do you guys think of Tanquihno's chances?

He has a solid chance at winning this fight. Cody tends to get a little wild and swings wide. If Mendes doesnt get caught early I think he takes it to the ground and gets the W.

Tough fight for tanquinho especially with a week notice.

It's garbrant's to lose. He is the far superior wrestler and he is usually content to use his wrestling to keep the fight on the feet. If he executes the game plan, it's a nightmare match up for a bjj guy still new to mma. Then again, I am incredibly biased in favor of wrestlers.

It's an interesting fight. Some people have said Tanq gets wild with his striking himself, and Cody has a nice counter left hook that could make that risky. Obviously Tanq has the advantage on the ground, but not sure if he'll a.) be able to close distance without getting hurt or b.) take Cody down if he does manage to do that.

Tanquino tried to cut 26 pounds in 6 days to make weight for this. Weigh in day they changed it to a 142 pound catch weight so i'm assuming the weight cut wasn't going well.

Cody has good boxing so I don't think Tanquinho will want to stand with him, and his wrestling is good enough that he might be able to keep the fight on the feet where he wants it. Tanquinho will have to figure out a way to get it to the ground, but I'll be interested to see how he'll do that without eating shots.

It's an interesting fight. Some people have said Tanq gets wild with his striking himself, and Cody has a nice counter left hook that could make that risky. Obviously Tanq has the advantage on the ground, but not sure if he'll a.) be able to close distance without getting hurt or b.) take Cody down if he does manage to do that.
Good call on the left hook.

Still sucksto see bjj guys go into Mma and get ko'd though

Good call on the left hook.

Still sucksto see bjj guys go into Mma and get ko'd though

I don't think we'll see anymore BJJ guys making it big in MMA. The reason is nobody now a days wants to play the good old school game of takedown, pass, and submit. This new generation of BJJ guys only care about pulling each other's pants, spinning upside down doing that lame ass berimbolo shit, stalling with that stupid worm guard crap, and doesn't care to learn takedown because all they want to do is butt scoot.

I don't think we'll see anymore BJJ guys making it big in MMA. The reason is nobody now a days wants to play the good old school game of takedown, pass, and submit. This new generation of BJJ guys only care about pulling each other's pants, spinning upside down doing that lame ass berimbolo shit, stalling with that stupid worm guard crap, and doesn't care to learn takedown because all they want to do is butt scoot.

Funny you say that. Cerrone just did exactly that. Takedown. Pass. Mount. Submit. Beautiful stuff.

I know Maia has been working his TD's lately. Jacare also has a TD, pass, submit style. He did a great job against Mousasi.

I want to agree with you, but I also want to disagree with you. Meaning, I hope you're wrong. I hope that some guys from the new generation learn to adapt their BJJ to MMA.

I have hopes for Garry Tonon.

We need Ryan Hall to fight again. But even Hall couldn't finish from the back mount. damm, maybe pure BJJ really doesn't work anymore on todays modern MMAer.

Funny you say that. Cerrone just did exactly that. Takedown. Pass. Mount. Submit. Beautiful stuff.

I know Maia has been working his TD's lately. Jacare also has a TD, pass, submit style. He did a great job against Mousasi.

I want to agree with you, but I also want to disagree with you. Meaning, I hope you're wrong. I hope that some guys from the new generation learn to adapt their BJJ to MMA.

I have hopes for Garry Tonon.

Cerrone is not a pure BJJ guy that used to mostly compete in that IBJJF shit.

Maia, Jacare, they're old school BJJ guys, so they're definitely better than this new generation of Miyao bros/Mendes bros wannabes.

I have high hopes for Garry Tonon too. Those IBJJF guys don't like him cause they'll always say he'll get disqualified whenever he reaps the knee and tap someone out with a heel hook. IBJJF fools hates heel hooks.

We need Ryan Hall to fight again. But even Hall couldn't finish from the back mount. damm, maybe pure BJJ really doesn't work anymore on todays modern MMAer.

Old school BJJ will always work. But this generation of modern BJJ hipsters will never do well in MMA. They're too used to butt scooting, pulling off a dumb berimbolo, and they're too concern with wearing overpriced garbage gi such as that shoyoroll crap.

Old school BJJ will always work. But this generation of modern BJJ hipsters will never do well in MMA. They're too used to butt scooting, pulling off a dumb berimbolo, and they're too concern with wearing overpriced garbage gi such as that shoyoroll crap.

I do enjoy the hate that flows through you. LOL.

That's why old school BJJ players are dominating MMA, right? The problem is that people aren't using more modern BJJ games. The modern passing game would dominate the average guard in MMA, without a doubt. Modern guards would wreck most top players in MMA, as well. Most MMA players simply aren't used to real modern BJJ games. Ryan Hall is unathletic and can't fight very well, but he's dominating average fighters simply because they can't deal with a modern leg lock game.

Tanquinho lost because he clearly can't fight worth a shit. He clearly had zero natural ability on the feet, and looked very unathletic and uncoordinated. It was a sure 100% KO loss as soon as he got in his goofy ass stance.

The #1 problem is BJJ guys taking fights they're in no way ready for. Tanquinho should have been fighting at low-level shows until he had at least 10 fights of experience. THEN he should have fought in RFA until he got a few more wins.

I wonder who the fuck told tanquinho to get outhere and try to outbox a boxer? brillant game plan.

Poor mendes, just couldn't close the distance without taking damage. No Love is a tough first out for anyone on short notice. Mr. Dern will do better next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back