Cody Garbrandt vs. Augusto Mendes

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Young Turkey, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Young Turkey

Young Turkey Green Belt

What do you guys think about this fight?
    Mendes is the underdog. I don't know much about Cody, besides that he trains at TAM.

What do you guys think of Tanquihno's chances?

2. 0r3o

0r3o Orange Belt

He has a solid chance at winning this fight. Cody tends to get a little wild and swings wide. If Mendes doesnt get caught early I think he takes it to the ground and gets the W.

3. kenetics

kenetics Red Belt

Tough fight for tanquinho especially with a week notice.

4. Ninjapunch209

Ninjapunch209 Purple Belt

Tanquinho wins RNC

5. MagicWand

MagicWand Purple Belt

It's garbrant's to lose. He is the far superior wrestler and he is usually content to use his wrestling to keep the fight on the feet. If he executes the game plan, it's a nightmare match up for a bjj guy still new to mma. Then again, I am incredibly biased in favor of wrestlers.

6. Steve08

Steve08 American Fedor Belt

It's an interesting fight. Some people have said Tanq gets wild with his striking himself, and Cody has a nice counter left hook that could make that risky. Obviously Tanq has the advantage on the ground, but not sure if he'll a.) be able to close distance without getting hurt or b.) take Cody down if he does manage to do that.

7. portland

portland Green Belt

Tanquino tried to cut 26 pounds in 6 days to make weight for this. Weigh in day they changed it to a 142 pound catch weight so i'm assuming the weight cut wasn't going well.

8. Dayman1984

Dayman1984 Purple Belt Platinum Member

Cody has good boxing so I don't think Tanquinho will want to stand with him, and his wrestling is good enough that he might be able to keep the fight on the feet where he wants it. Tanquinho will have to figure out a way to get it to the ground, but I'll be interested to see how he'll do that without eating shots.

9. HtomSirveaux

HtomSirveaux Blue Belt

Welp, that's a bummer

10. Young Turkey

Young Turkey Green Belt

Good call on the left hook.

Still sucksto see bjj guys go into Mma and get ko'd though

11. kenpeters8

kenpeters8 Purple Belt

I don't think we'll see anymore BJJ guys making it big in MMA. The reason is nobody now a days wants to play the good old school game of takedown, pass, and submit. This new generation of BJJ guys only care about pulling each other's pants, spinning upside down doing that lame ass berimbolo shit, stalling with that stupid worm guard crap, and doesn't care to learn takedown because all they want to do is butt scoot.

ens189, Mr.Maelstrom and dmwalking like this.
  12. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

Funny you say that. Cerrone just did exactly that. Takedown. Pass. Mount. Submit. Beautiful stuff.

I know Maia has been working his TD's lately. Jacare also has a TD, pass, submit style. He did a great job against Mousasi.

I want to agree with you, but I also want to disagree with you. Meaning, I hope you're wrong. I hope that some guys from the new generation learn to adapt their BJJ to MMA.

I have hopes for Garry Tonon.

13. fittycentguard

fittycentguard Orange Belt

We need Ryan Hall to fight again. But even Hall couldn't finish from the back mount. damm, maybe pure BJJ really doesn't work anymore on todays modern MMAer.

14. kenpeters8

kenpeters8 Purple Belt

Cerrone is not a pure BJJ guy that used to mostly compete in that IBJJF shit.

Maia, Jacare, they're old school BJJ guys, so they're definitely better than this new generation of Miyao bros/Mendes bros wannabes.

I have high hopes for Garry Tonon too. Those IBJJF guys don't like him cause they'll always say he'll get disqualified whenever he reaps the knee and tap someone out with a heel hook. IBJJF fools hates heel hooks.

dmwalking likes this.
  15. kenpeters8

kenpeters8 Purple Belt

Old school BJJ will always work. But this generation of modern BJJ hipsters will never do well in MMA. They're too used to butt scooting, pulling off a dumb berimbolo, and they're too concern with wearing overpriced garbage gi such as that shoyoroll crap.

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  16. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

I do enjoy the hate that flows through you. LOL.

17. OoopsaDaisey

OoopsaDaisey Black Belt in DEEP Megaton

That's why old school BJJ players are dominating MMA, right? The problem is that people aren't using more modern BJJ games. The modern passing game would dominate the average guard in MMA, without a doubt. Modern guards would wreck most top players in MMA, as well. Most MMA players simply aren't used to real modern BJJ games. Ryan Hall is unathletic and can't fight very well, but he's dominating average fighters simply because they can't deal with a modern leg lock game.

Tanquinho lost because he clearly can't fight worth a shit. He clearly had zero natural ability on the feet, and looked very unathletic and uncoordinated. It was a sure 100% KO loss as soon as he got in his goofy ass stance.

The #1 problem is BJJ guys taking fights they're in no way ready for. Tanquinho should have been fighting at low-level shows until he had at least 10 fights of experience. THEN he should have fought in RFA until he got a few more wins.

Torrid and TheGZA like this.
  18. completesky

completesky Green Belt

Marcin Held

19. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

I wonder who the fuck told tanquinho to get outhere and try to outbox a boxer? brillant game plan.

dmwalking likes this.
  20. Mr.Maelstrom

Mr.Maelstrom Belt of Skulls belt [÷X]

Poor mendes, just couldn't close the distance without taking damage. No Love is a tough first out for anyone on short notice. Mr. Dern will do better next time.