Cody Garbrandt training with Mark Henry.

Cody needs to fight smarter and stop reading his own press clippings. If he could fight everytime like he did against Cruz, he'd still be champ

Cruz laid on a very particular style of verbal assault on Cody that made him employ a super risk averse strategy. It had the complete opposite effect that Dominick hoped it would have, but were yet to see that version of Cody since. I think Cody just accepted after seeing so many TAM fighters lose to him that you’re not gonna beat Cruz fighting with your ego. You have to be tactical.

Cruz laid on a very particular style of verbal assault on Cody that made him employ a super risk averse strategy. It had the complete opposite effect that Dominick hoped it would have, but were yet to see that version of Cody since. I think Cody just accepted after seeing so many TAM fighters lose to him that you’re not gonna beat Cruz fighting with your ego. You have to be tactical.
100%

eG92Mn.gif

e5eeaaef674a2b20b121b38777b244a9.gif

skip to (9:50)

Size would be the only Advantage. Cody hits very hard, and when he is using his movement and combos he is an absolute killer with his hands. I've watched him box many times on cards my friends boxed on and hebakways was miles ahead of the guys who weren't Olympic class amateurs

Cody isnt "miles" ahead of good boxing prospects. He has absolute shit defense when punching and you only get that when you havent learned the basics the right way. He would get smoked by most and countered into oblivion.

There is a reason why Cody could only implement his flashy game at elite level against a baby puncher like Cruz. As soon as the power went up , he went down.

No ring iq, no guard to speak of, no sense of defense other than slips and bobs. He is a Naseem Hamed for the poor. He had a good run until TJ but got figured out. Someone like Lineker would bomb him out inside 1 round.

Cody isnt "miles" ahead of good boxing prospects. He has absolute shit defense when punching and you only get that when you havent learned the basics the right way. He would get smoked by most and countered into oblivion.

There is a reason why Cody could only implement his flashy game at elite level against a baby puncher like Cruz. As soon as the power went up , he went down.

No ring iq, no guard to speak of, no sense of defense other than slips and bobs. He is a Naseem Hamed for the poor. He had a good run until TJ but got figured out. Someone like Lineker would bomb him out inside 1 round.
His shit defense is about the level of your shit analysis.

His defense was quite good against Cruz, when he failed to respect his opponents and went looking for the KO that's when he stayed in the pocket too long and was getting countered instead of exiting out and resetting

Cody needs to work on his range when trading. It's usually how he gets beat. Dude has short arms and goes blow for blow in terrible range

Size would be the only Advantage. Cody hits very hard, and when he is using his movement and combos he is an absolute killer with his hands. I've watched him box many times on cards my friends boxed on and hebakways was miles ahead of the guys who weren't Olympic class amateurs
Hebakways indeed

Thinking about fighting or thinking about grappling?
<{fry}>

Naseem was pretty damn good tho and still, mma striking has come a long way and is still evolving, cody is one of the best boxers in the ufc with all his shortcomings considered.

Cody needs to fight smarter and stop reading his own press clippings. If he could fight everytime like he did against Cruz, he'd still be champ
That's exactly what I'm still hoping for. Cody is young. He still has plenty of time focus up and become a great champion.

Back