Cody Garbrandt: The UFC ‘want me to be champ, that’s why they gave me the rematch’

And Johnson was training part time while working a full time factory job when he fought for the Bantamweight title, and yet in spite of that he still went 14-2 (87.5% win rate) and had a 64.3% finish rate.

Your hate is so strong it's laughable.

For me I feel the UFC has muddied up the waters in this pound for pound debate with too many weight classes. I would be fine with it all stopping at 155. 145 at the max. There is nothing wrong with having to face some fighters that are bigger than you, if you are not naturally big for a weight class. Edgar was kicking ass at 55 spectacularly at one time, and he only weighed about 155. Aldo for years we heard about lousy weight cuts for 45. With his level of skill, he should have been at 55 his whole career if you ask me. I like Cruz and some others at 35, but if they had to fight at 45 or even 55 so be it. Cry me a river if you are small for the class.. Because I feel like going all the way down to 125 is simply making it easier for some to hold belts. DJ lost to Cruz at 35 by UD. Then here comes the 125 class, and now he breaks records in the UFC and we are talking about him being a GOAT. Sorry that does not sit well with me.

It's true. UFC wants him to be the champ. It's pretty obvious why too

Of course the UFC wants the wrestling character, but you aren't supposed to say it.

At least he's honest about it. Pointless rematch... regardless, I hope Cody beats TJ this time around.

this fight is crazy to me. bc even though garbrandt was KO'd in round 2 last time around, its understandable that he has confidence due to the fact that he almost finished dillashaw in round 1 previously - which kinda makes the dynamic a lot different. even though the rest of the card sucks balls, this one is amazing.

I think they want some colourful characters,, LGBT era,,

For reasons beyond me WME see’s tattooed up meatheads lacking mic skills as marketable. I get if a certain fighter is a draw, I just don’t see neck tats as that guy, add in degenerate neck and back problems it would seem he’s nearing expiration quickly.

Those little men with their little problems...

its become obvious who they want as champs. Stipe and Aldo didnt get rematches while breaking records but others do. Certain fighters get fast tracked to the belt with favorable matchups.

How does any man make 125 pounds? Most well put together fit women are like 110-115.. Cody wants to starve himself to go fight a man 5'3 that weighs 125 SMH..
I was thinking the same thing. I'm probably 1 at max 2 inches taller and I couldn't imagine getting that low. TJ was cut as f in his last fight I can't imagine him getting down there. With that being said TJ wrestled so I'm sure he knows where he can and cannot get.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm probably 1 at max 2 inches taller and I couldn't imagine getting that low. TJ was cut as f in his last fight I can't imagine him getting down there. With that being said TJ wrestled so I'm sure he knows where he can and cannot get.

I was just watching some of TJ’s recent fights and I have no idea how he gets down to 125 either? In the past I was critical of DJ for using making weight as an excuse but TJ is scrawny as fuck. There’s no fat to come off his body. And you can only lose so much water weight.

For me I feel the UFC has muddied up the waters in this pound for pound debate with too many weight classes. I would be fine with it all stopping at 155. 145 at the max. There is nothing wrong with having to face some fighters that are bigger than you, if you are not naturally big for a weight class. Edgar was kicking ass at 55 spectacularly at one time, and he only weighed about 155. Aldo for years we heard about lousy weight cuts for 45. With his level of skill, he should have been at 55 his whole career if you ask me. I like Cruz and some others at 35, but if they had to fight at 45 or even 55 so be it. Cry me a river if you are small for the class.. Because I feel like going all the way down to 125 is simply making it easier for some to hold belts. DJ lost to Cruz at 35 by UD. Then here comes the 125 class, and now he breaks records in the UFC and we are talking about him being a GOAT. Sorry that does not sit well with me.
1) I absolutely loathe P4P discussions; there's no such thing as a P4P division, there's no P4P champion, and there's no possible way of determining who is the best. P4P discussions is just a talking point for the media and the fans continue to fall for it. Division GOATs is a discussion I don't mind having, but P4P is a special sort of stupidity.
2) Johnson was only training twice per week and was working a full time factory job, and in spite of that was winning the stand up, causing Cruz to subsequently change his gameplan mid-fight. And that was against a prime, pre-injury Cruz who was probably cutting from 155 lbs back then.

The fact that your hang up on Johnson revolves around who's the best P4P fighter is nothing more than a waste of time and energy (for you).

Personally I would've rather seen the UFC adjust the weight limits for the lighter divisions rather than creating a 125 division:

Back