1. Season 7 of the International Shoop League is now active! Section A » Section B »

Cody Garbrandt: The UFC ‘want me to be champ, that’s why they gave me the rematch’

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KazDibiase, Aug 2, 2018.

1. KazDibiase

KazDibiase "My style is kneeing people in the face."

The simple fact is, T.J. didn’t want this fight, [the UFC] had to basically tell him,” Garbrandt said at the open workouts yesterday. “He wanted to go down and fight Mighty Mouse. Even if he didn’t want to fight me, you didn’t see him wanting to fight Dominick [Cruz]. Dom has a win against him. He wants the easiest style match-up. He didn’t want to fight me - lord knows he doesn’t want to fight me, he knows what I bring to the table - Dominick’s already in his head with a win over him so he says, ‘I’m gonna go after Mighty Mouse.’ For what? Mighty Mouse is 125 pounds.”

Dillashaw knocked out Garbrandt at UFC 217 to reclaim the bantamweight belt, but before that he publicly lobbied for a fight with flyweight kingpin and pound-for-pound ace Demetrious Johnson when Garbrandt pulled out of their first scheduled bout. That fight never came to fruition but after KOing Garbrandt, Dillashaw renewed the push for the superfight but, according to Garbrandt, that fight was never going to happen because the UFC wants him to be the champion, not Dillashaw.

That’s the thing, that was my whole idea,” Garbrandt said. “I ended up hitting up Sean Shelby and Dana White, saying I’m gonna knock T.J. out and then go down and fight Mighty Mouse. That was my original thought. T.J. stole that from me, stole everything from me. If the UFC wanted that fight to prosper, they would have made that fight happen. They don’t want that to happen. They already moved on. They want me to be the champ, that’s why the gave me the rematch. They called me and offered me the fight in March, T.J. turned it down and made all these excuses and I had to wait all the way until August to fight him. I was ready to go way before that. I told my manager, ‘I’m ready to fight. I don’t want to have my return postponed.’”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

2. acannxr

acannxr Black Belt

More like...

1) The UFC purposely tied up Bantamweight contenders in order to justify trying to book Dillashaw vs. Johnson.
    2) Dillashaw didn't take on Garbrandt on short notice, so Dana pulled the plug on the Dillashaw vs. Johnson fight because he's petty like that.

3. Dbreiden83080

Dbreiden83080 Danger Zone

How does any man make 125 pounds? Most well put together fit women are like 110-115.. Cody wants to starve himself to go fight a man 5'3 that weighs 125 SMH..

4. Deceasedxo

Deceasedxo Blue Belt

Delusional. TJ didn't want it 'cause he knocked him clean out. Plus, TJ is actually the more charismatic person and that's fucking saying something.

5. acannxr

acannxr Black Belt

You're being too obvious and lack creativity regarding Johnson.

And Johnson weighs anywhere from 137-140 lbs; Garbrandt weighs 146 lbs; your logic could use a lot of work when comparing them.

6. Sonny Qc

Sonny Qc Gold Belt

To be fair, Cody's fight are really fun to watch.

But, I'm not sure you really want that guy to represent your company

MrDoctor and Toco like this.
  7. Dbreiden83080

Wait they cut weight?? Holy Fuck really? Shit.. The 125 class is a joke to me and many others agree. DJ had his shot at 35 and failed. He is not a champ at 35, this invented tiny man's weight class has no challengers. Mostly because most pro athlete's had Mom's that fed them..

8. Only Here for Attachments

Only Here for Attachments Free from the yellow once again!

Or maybe because the matchmakers are lazy and fell back on their bread and butter

9. Dbreiden83080

Both Cody and TJ want to beat MM, but neither of them would fight anyone else at 25. After they starve themselves to death for that fight, they are not doing it again to fight Ray Borg LOL..

FWRGeorgie likes this.
  10. sss133

sss133 Green Belt

Cody needs an old school pro wrestling manager.

11. acannxr

acannxr Black Belt

And Johnson was training part time while working a full time factory job when he fought for the Bantamweight title, and yet in spite of that he still went 14-2 (87.5% win rate) and had a 64.3% finish rate.

Your hate is so strong it's laughable.

MrDoctor, M.V.C. and leto1776 like this.
  12. The Witcher

The Witcher відродитися

Yep, completely true.

Sapp likes this.
  13. Sapp

Sapp Silver Belt

Cody is right. The UFC absolutely wants him as champ.

Timmahhhh likes this.
  14. PrepareForGlory

PrepareForGlory Blue Belt

I give him credit for admitting it, I mean it's quite obvious they want him as champ.

They want him champ as badly as they want Till to be champ at welterweight and Brock at heavyweight. The UFC is a shitshow.

[​IMG]

15. Mob69

Mob69 Black Belt

16. Mischievious

Mischievious Orange Belt

The UFC wanted to book TJ vs DJ first but DJ wussed out so this is what we got.

17. Spycho

Spycho Black Belt

He's right about the part of the UFC wanting him to be champ. Faber is such a suck up and good friend of Dana (and the Fertitta's) that him and his TAM fighters get thrown into big fights, TUF coaching spots, title fights and favourable match ups that can propel their careers, all the time. When Cody became champ (easier path than any other bantamweight), they treated him like he defended the thing 10 times, gave him a TUF coaching spot and they made him parade the thing around for nearly a year; no interim champ, no stripping, nothing. He's saying that he' ll give TJ an immediate rematch if he beats him, but I don't believe that. They' ll try to make the DJ or Cruz fight before that.

Timmahhhh likes this.
  18. TCanaveira

TCanaveira Purple Belt

I do think it's better for the UFC if he wins. Him and TJ are probably the 2 best bantamweights right now in the UFC. If Cody wins they can go for a trilogy. If TJ wins then is it even a rivalry? It's just 2 guys that don't like each other but one is on another level.

19. SHOKASE

SHOKASE Orange Belt

That 5'3 125 guy kills 99% of men in the world.

FRANKIE 保憲 and Timmahhhh like this.
  20. RayA

RayA Brown Belt

The Heritage's (NJ convenient stores) around me all have Cody Garbrandt cardboard standees promoting the drink bodyarmor. Cody has 1.6 million followers on instagram.
    Legitimate rankings be damned, the UFC invested I'm Cody's hype, and they want a return on it.

Timmahhhh likes this.