Cody Garbrandt is exteremely predictable..only throws hooks

Cody is good, but was unproven, bad matchup for Cruz and that's it. He has one top5 win if I'm not wrong and it's Cruz.

You mean top 10. His second best win is Almeida, who lost almost all it's hype since.

The myth that lighter fighters are more skilled is precisely that. A myth.

Even when Cody isn't fighting emotionally, like he did against Almeida/Cruz, he was still opting to throw a lot more wild, telegraphed hooks than straights, when any half decent boxing coach should teach you the opposite. Coupled with his below par chin, it was only inevitable that it caught up with him eventually. Gustafsson is a far more skilled boxer and fighter than Cody despite having never won a title, which shows that the elites of 205 (Jones, Cormier, Rumble) are better fighters than the Cruz, Garbrandt, Dillashaw love triangle. Cody literally tried to throw the same loaded up haymaker 3 times in a row - have you ever seen something that dumb from an "elite" fighter in ANY weight class?

Lineker would shatter his chin into 7 sparkling pieces.
Lol lineker is a worse boxer than cody, just has power

Lol lineker is a worse boxer than cody, just has power

Thats too simplistic. Cody has speed, footwork and reflexes as an advantage. But execution of punches / kicks, variety of punches /kicks Lineker is ahead of Cody. If Cody could stay on the outside a win by points is very possible, but as soon as Lineker can get into infight and short distance he should be favoured.

The excuses for Cody are more stupid than him.

If he's so predictable how come he outclassed Cruz in 5 rounds when Cruz is known as a high fight IQ manlet?

His coach said he never reached that level again.

Last edited:
You mean top 10. His second best win is Almeida, who lost almost all it's hype since.
Nope, Cruz is his top5 win, only one, and when you think about Almeida he was ranked 8, if I'm not wrong, when he fought Cody. Right now Cody has 1 win over top 10 figher...lol. And 2 top 15 wins...so my point is... he was pushed too early and he was unproven.

The way I see it.

Cody was able to beat Cruz, because Cody was willing to take a punch to give one.
TJ beat Cody, because he has the power/chin to win that trade.
Cruz beat TJ, because TJ doesn't want to get hit like Cody, and gets outscored.

IDK how accurate that is, probably not at all. But I also feel like TJ has tried to understand and utilize several of Cruz's techniques. Which, it's hard to blame him for. Cruz was so dominant that the 125lb weight class was created to let a couple of guys compete with DJ.

Right now Cody has 1 win over top 10 figher...lol. And 2 top 15 wins...so my point is... he was pushed too early and he was unproven.

We agree, this is what I meant.

I dont think ive ever seen Cody throw a right hook. Overhand right? Yes. Mostly tho its just a straight-right & left-hook. Or left-hook & straight-right. All punches to the head, no body work.

This. TS also forgets that timing is where it's at.

EVERYONE knew Crocop would throw the left high kick... it still connects
EVERYONE knew Hendo would throw his overhand... it still connects
EVERYONE knew Jones would poke an eye... it still went in

<Fedor23>

Jones just does illegal maneuvers without getting disqualified. Not a skill.

I agree with Hendo but even there Hendo had some sneaky feints to mask the right hand. Problem with Cody imo is not timing but masking his power shots. He gets repetitive on the combos.

Crocop is a bad example as he also had a straight left from hell with excellent defense. Crocop is the much better boxer than Cody with a wide arsenal of weapons plus his left high kick which was also a muderous left middle to low kick. Thats why he could land his lh so good. He was a master in feinting / conditioning the opponent on low kicks. Thing is you cant ignore a Crocop low kick and keep your guard high. That means its only a matter of time until he gets you with a high kick.

crocoprv2_zpsa2fcaee7.gif~c200

tumblr_n09zoesrmh1t3gujjo1_400.gif

Last edited:
Back