Cody Garbrandt is exteremely predictable..only throws hooks

CombatScience

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
98% of his strikes are right/left hooks...thats all he throws. Dillashaw knows it and exploits it. Cody Garbrandt is the most predictable top fighter in the UFC.

What other strike does he throw significantly.

If he's so predictable how come he outclassed Cruz in 5 rounds when Cruz is known as a high fight IQ manlet?

He has neck tats

You're mistaking his aggression and anger for TJ as a lack of talent and fight IQ. Smarten up. Be smarter than you incorrectly think Cody is.

Wow

This is a new discussion

7huukolu1riz.gif

The myth that lighter fighters are more skilled is precisely that. A myth.

Even when Cody isn't fighting emotionally, like he did against Almeida/Cruz, he was still opting to throw a lot more wild, telegraphed hooks than straights, when any half decent boxing coach should teach you the opposite. Coupled with his below par chin, it was only inevitable that it caught up with him eventually. Gustafsson is a far more skilled boxer and fighter than Cody despite having never won a title, which shows that the elites of 205 (Jones, Cormier, Rumble) are better fighters than the Cruz, Garbrandt, Dillashaw love triangle. Cody literally tried to throw the same loaded up haymaker 3 times in a row - have you ever seen something that dumb from an "elite" fighter in ANY weight class?

Lineker would shatter his chin into 7 sparkling pieces.

He does throw primarily hooks, but when he's on point (not going full tard like in both TJ fights) he has really nice head movement and angles.

Not to mention he's fast as fuck, too.

TJ just has his number, because Cody can't help but to go Neanderthal when he gets in there with Dillashaw.

The myth that lighter fighters are more skilled is precisely that. A myth.

Even when Cody isn't fighting emotionally, like he did against Almeida/Cruz, he was still opting to throw a lot more wild, telegraphed hooks than straights, when any half decent boxing coach should teach you the opposite. Coupled with his below par chin, it was only inevitable that it caught up with him eventually. Gustafsson is a far more skilled boxer and fighter than Cody despite having never won a title, which shows that the elites of 205 (Jones, Cormier, Rumble) are better fighters than the Cruz, Garbrandt, Dillashaw love triangle.

Lineker would shatter his chin into 7 sparkling pieces.

Forget Lineker, Cody has real beef is with Conor. I want to see emotional Cody vs. Conor at LW for 25 minutes with no ref stoppage. Whoever dies dies.

He does throw primarily hooks, but when he's on point (not going full tard like in both TJ fights) he has really nice head movement and angles.

Not to mention he's fast as fuck, too.

TJ just has his number, because Cody can't help but to go Neanderthal when he gets in there with Dillashaw.

This. TS also forgets that timing is where it's at.

EVERYONE knew Crocop would throw the left high kick... it still connects
EVERYONE knew Hendo would throw his overhand... it still connects
EVERYONE knew Jones would poke an eye... it still went in

<Fedor23>

Faber squandered Garbrandt's talent by making No love his attack dog. Garbrandt needs to leave tam's crabpot

Could someone please start a new thread per below.
- I can't bc I'm carded from my own idiocy which I regret.
- Subject Is: Conor's financial incentive vs Khabib?
- First Post Is: Conor is sitting on at least $50 million after-tax. Never has to fight again. Why risk his legacy?
No.

Well, many fighters are predictable in this sense. But if they have skill - power, speed, timing, stamina, etc - it doesn't matter if they're predictable. You KNOW DC will try to grind you with wrestling and dog-fighting, and you know Jones will throw oblique kicks and try to slice you with elbows. It doesn't mean you can do ANYTHING to stop them if they're simply better than you.

If he's so predictable how come he outclassed Cruz in 5 rounds when Cruz is known as a high fight IQ manlet?

Because a fight against Cruz is not about what you throw. Its not even a fight as Cruz only tries to touch you from weird angles. Its a cat & mouse game were you need to have elite footwork and stay relaxed. Cody has fast & smooth footwork and so was quick enough to outmaneuver Cruz for most of the fight.

As soon as Cody is in the pocket he gets predictable but Cruz was the one who avoided,understandable, a short distance fight by all means. It was a constant change of distance. Thats why Cody looked that good.

basic defense is not as important. Cody even got tagged with a left to the head right before he floored Cruz. Against TJ that would have played out different but there it was a light touch and he just executed his move.

Cody is good, but was unproven, bad matchup for Cruz and that's it. He has one top5 win if I'm not wrong and it's Cruz.

It's a good style match up for him. Cody's chin isn't great but Dom doesn't sit down on his punches often enough to pack any real power. Cody is fast and has good reflexes which is problematic for Cruz' style of feinting, baiting and setting traps. Cruz also fought uncharacteristically aggressive for reasons known only to him. If they fought again Cruz would be more capable of making the necessary adjustments than Cody would. Cody has excellent physical attributes for fighting (aside from his chin) but his fight I.Q is fairly low. I also think he needs to find another camp other than alpha male in order to progress further in his career.

98% of his strikes are right/left hooks...thats all he throws. Dillashaw knows it and exploits it. Cody Garbrandt is the most predictable top fighter in the UFC.

What other strike does he throw significantly.

You’re judging him based on his two fights where he fought too emotional.

Back