• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crime Cocaine-laden Colombian Narco Submarines Are Bigger, Faster, and More Sophisticated Than Ever

i don't like cocaine i just like the way it smells

looks like fun.

Coast Guard captures 'narco sub' carrying $165 million in cocaine
By Lauren M. Johnson, CNN | September 24, 2019​

190924130121-02-coast-guard-major-drug-bust-super-169.jpg
The Coast Guard cutter Valiant seized a a 'narco sub' carrying 12,000 pounds of cocaine worth over $165 million, according to a news release.

The 40-foot semi-submersible, a vessel made from an oil or gas drilling barge or platform supported by underwater pontoons, was found in the Eastern Pacific in early September, the Tuesday release said.

Members of the Valiant's crew intercepted the boat with the assistance of Colombian naval assets, took control of it and apprehended four smugglers.

The Coast Guard offloaded over 1,000 pounds of cocaine but had to leave the rest due to the questionable stability of the vessel.

"There are no words to describe the feeling the Valiant crew is experiencing right now," said Cmdr. Matthew Waldron, Valiant's commanding officer.

"In a 24-hour period, the crew both crossed the equator and intercepted a drug-laden self-propelled semi-submersible vessel. Each in and of themselves is momentous events in any cutterman's career. Taken together, however, it is truly remarkably unprecedented."

Within the last week, the Southeast Coast Guard has reported seizing over 13,000 pounds of cocaine from smugglers.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEM2GbD6r0OtPmHW2HwIniDoqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowocv1CjCSptoCMPrTpgU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

alto tu barco or some shit like that he was yelling, the question is to whom? how the fuck does someone travelling in a sub should listen to someone yelling on the surface...

"In a 24-hour period, the crew both crossed the equator and intercepted a drug-laden self-propelled semi-submersible vessel. Each in and of themselves is momentous events in any cutterman's career. Taken together, however, it is truly remarkably unprecedented."

Must be rare that the Coast Guard vessels travel farther south than the equator, guessing that's why it's described as a momentous event?

Sending special ops to Columbia to off any cartels members would be even more momentous.

The U.S. Coast Guard is no longer part of the DoD, it is now part of Homeland Security.
If it is a submarine, why did it not submerge?
It runs on diesel and the exhaust needs to go somewhere. They are built cheap so no internal system to deal with the engines exhaust. So technically they are a boat with a really low profile, since if they submerged, everyone inside would die from the engine exhaust.

It runs on diesel and the exhaust needs to go somewhere. They are built cheap so no internal system to deal with the engines exhaust. So technically they are a boat with a really low profile, since if they submerged, everyone inside would die from the engine exhaust.
This is why nukes are the best. You can stay underwater for as long as you have food to feed the crew.

The exhaust pipe runs underneath the vessel and exits the rear underwater so that the gasses are cooled off before surfacing. This kills any thermal footprint it might have, eluding detection.

So nice you said it twice

Seriously though that dude banging on the hatch has steel balls. I’m guessing these guys would rather surrender than have a nice sea burial

Just for kicks it would be fun to drop a grenade next to it before boarding just make them believe they we're getting depth charged. You know they would come flying out of there like rats off a sinking ship.

The exhaust pipe runs underneath the vessel and exits the rear underwater so that the gasses are cooled off before surfacing. This kills any thermal footprint it might have, eluding detection.
Hull can't take pressure if submerged

Additionally, no method of getting air for diesel. If they put oxygen bottles inside, that'd preclude the lack of air issue (AIP =Air Independent Propulsion), but the sea pressure on the exhaust limits its horsepower.

Use of batteries to drive the screw only gives a finite capacity, typically <12hrs before needing to recharge, which requires a generator, which requires something to turn it (motor) which will require air. That's why the Germans invented the Snorkel coming out of WW1

With Nuclear, a sub can run submerged, at any depth, as fast as it wants until the crew runs out of food.

Damn, that video was pretty intense. Take balls to jump on a moving sub in the moving ocean and open up the top with your face right there to be shot (if they were going to resist)

Pounding on the hatch and not knowing what's coming out is ballzy but jumping on a moving boat in decent weather is just another day for anyone making a living on the water.
Just getting around on a pitching deck in nasty weather especially if icy is way more dangerous.

The helicopter rescue dudes have pushed the limits of man and weather, totally bad-ass. I know several people that wouldn't be walking around if they hadn't pulled them out of the water in unbelievably horrific conditions.

This is the Icelantic coast guard but it's excellent footage of what it's like dealing with a pitching vessel in heavy seas.

The U.S. Coast Guard is no longer part of the DoD, it is now part of Homeland Security.
If it is a submarine, why did it not submerge?
Is it SOP for the U.S. Cost Guard to open hatches and stick their head inside? 99% chance of being shot.
Drop a grenade instead...
Those subs can’t fully submerge. Can’t drop a grenade down there... this isn’t COD. What if instead of carrying drugs that sub was human trafficking and you killed a bunch of women and children? Similar to the first man through the door in a raid (a position I’d personally much rather be in) the man looking down the hatch has to seize that real estate and keep it in order to gain control of the sub.

Can’t drop a grenade down there... this isn’t COD. What if instead of carrying drugs that sub was human trafficking and you killed a bunch of women and children? Similar to the first man through the door in a raid (a position I’d personally much rather be in) the man looking down the hatch has to seize that real estate and keep it in order to gain control of the sub.
Not sure what your COD stands for. It does not have to be a HE fragment grenade, you could use a stun grenade. Why would you rather be the first man through the door? I believe those 'subs' were specifically designed to carry loads of cocaine. Where would those trafficked humans urinate and defecate? Yeah, the smell would be terrible...

Not sure what your COD stands for. It does not have to be a HE fragment grenade, you could use a stun grenade. Why would you rather be the first man through the door? I believe those 'subs' were specifically designed to carry loads of cocaine. Where would those trafficked humans urinate and defecate? Yeah, the smell would be terrible...
I was being a smart ass lol. COD is call of duty. I don’t think it’s in their SOP to toss any kind of special purpose or offensive grenades down a hatch into a tin can thats fully enclosed and out to sea. I would at the very least like the option to move on my feet and be able to dump into a certain area of a room and have an option for cover or concealment if shit gets hairy.

Im not versed in things submersible. I’m assuming anything non-nuclear today would be diesel electric. What did the diesels do for supply air when submerged before hybrid powerplants and batteries were available?
Big canisters of compressed air? That wouldn’t last long.

Hull can't take pressure if submerged

Additionally, no method of getting air for diesel. If they put oxygen bottles inside, that'd preclude the lack of air issue (AIP =Air Independent Propulsion), but the sea pressure on the exhaust limits its horsepower.

Use of batteries to drive the screw only gives a finite capacity, typically <12hrs before needing to recharge, which requires a generator, which requires something to turn it (motor) which will require air. That's why the Germans invented the Snorkel coming out of WW1

With Nuclear, a sub can run submerged, at any depth, as fast as it wants until the crew runs out of food.

Must be rare that the Coast Guard vessels travel farther south than the equator, guessing that's why it's described as a momentous event?

No.

Pretty common for our larger ships to cross the equator in both oceans, but ceremony they do for first timers is a cool right of passage. The fact they did that one day, then busted the semi-sub makes for a memorable trip.

Also, some guys I know happen to know the hatch pounder, and in typical military fashion busted his balls over sticking his head in the hatch like that....and the terrible spanish in the video.

No.

Pretty common for our larger ships to cross the equator in both oceans, but ceremony they do for first timers is a cool right of passage. The fact they did that one day, then busted the semi-sub makes for a memorable trip.
Ah, got it, yes that's definitely a big day for the newer coasties, thanks for replying!

Also, some guys I know happen to know the hatch pounder, and in typical military fashion busted his balls over sticking his head in the hatch like that....and the terrible spanish in the video.
Good to see they properly channeled their jealousy into solid mockery, lol!

If he's an mma fan his buds should let him know he did a great job beating that can :cool:

Why are those terrorists stealing those innocent mens legally and well earned drugs?

Back