COC and grip help!!!

tommboy

White Belt
Reaction score
Where do you guys hold your grippers when closing them? Do you incorporate your pinky, because when I grip it farther down it is a lot easier..... Just curious where you are supposed to/ is best to hold them...

my pinky is as low as I can get it, but yeah I use it. And a lot of people think that timed holds and overcrushes are the way to go (a lot of people with stronger grips than me). But I personally have found that I respond well to lots of singles (say 40-90 in 20 minutes): crush with left hand once, crush with right hand once, repeat.

i recomend anyone that is interested in grip/ lower arm strength read john brookfield's mastery of hand strength

i just finished reading it and it is a good book

giveuptheghost said:
i recomend anyone that is interested in grip/ lower arm strength read john brookfield's mastery of hand strength

i just finished reading it and it is a good book
Seconded.

really?? doesnt seem a lot easier with out your pinky? Maybe its just the way I have developed my grip from deadlifts, now that I think about It I usually just end up using the others

i figure if you set the gripper first, the pinky will feel more comfortable and more helpful'

Train your pinkie/ring fingers by lifting block weights with only your thumb and those fingers, pinching in that manner, using Ironminds new "Tug" grippers etc.

They're the furthest down the lever, so strengthening them will help more than you might think. I originally got the tip from Clay Edgin.

When I set it I try to go as low as possible. My pinky is normally either barely fully on, or like 1/2 off. It has even slipped off a few times. So, I shoot for as low as possible while still having my little finger on it.

Like carnal said, it would be good to train it considering its lowest on the hand.

I found that concentrating on my little finger and training it was what finally got me to close the CoC#2, on a related subject is it worth buying both the grip masters manual and mastery of hand strength?

SmashiusClay said:
I found that concentrating on my little finger and training it was what finally got me to close the CoC#2, on a related subject is it worth buying both the grip masters manual and mastery of hand strength?
I don't have the grip master's manual, but I hear they cover distinctly different material and together are pretty comprehensive. It's tough for me to imagine material that ISN'T covered in "Mastery of hand strength" though.

Urban said:
I don't have the grip master's manual, but I hear they cover distinctly different material and together are pretty comprehensive. It's tough for me to imagine material that ISN'T covered in "Mastery of hand strength" though.
Thanks, I'll look into it and will probably end up buying both if I can afford it.

This little finger tip sounds like it could be just what I need.

I'll go and buy some ridiculously light grippers and start closing them with my pinky.

Thanks guys!

i have a question about the CoC grippers. i just got the #2 gripper for Christmas. my brother has it as well and i had been using it but just wanted it more readily available at my house so i got it as well. well the #2 CoC that i got is MUCH easier than my brother's. i know they can all vary, but this seems to be a big difference. i can easily close mine and his takes much more effort. has anyone else seen this?

yup. there can be big differences between COC's. What probably happened was you got an easy one and your brother got a tough one, so you're at completely opposite ends of the spectrum whereas most grippers fall somewhere in between and closer to the middle.

Urban said:
yup. there can be big differences between COC's. What probably happened was you got an easy one and your brother got a tough one, so you're at completely opposite ends of the spectrum whereas most grippers fall somewhere in between and closer to the middle.
Every time I hear this I'm tempted to get a whole bunch of CoC#3s to try and get an easy one, still I'd probably find that mine is easy and then become highly embaressed that it still laughs at my feeble attempts to close it.

Great posts - good information.

Yes, whenever you're talking about torsion spring grippers, there is no way to guarantee tight restrictions on the poundages. You can be close, with more stringent manufacturing and steel stock - but you can be exact. That being said - IronMind has made great improvements in the last couple years on standard deviations and processes and they are definitely the leader in the industry.

For crush strength, it is a badge of honor to say you can close a #3 - they are a great tool to gauge your grip strength progess. Great job for incorporating them into your training!

I dont want to hijack this thread, but I find it pointless to make another thread for it. My question is, what CoC gripper should I start off with, I know this is a broad questions with a lot of variables but when I went to Ironmind I saw a 60lb, a 80lb and then the Trainer. I have been training my grip not really that dedicated to it yet but will be.

My grip is definitely a limiting factor when it comes to deadlift I feel I could pull much more if not for my grip. So again my question is which one should I buy first.

Get the trainer, #1 and th #2. The guide and sport are novelty items as far as most people are concerned (though I think they are probably pretty good at training your lower fingers). If I had to choose just one for most people to get, I'd go with the number 1. if it's too tough you can glue on some pennies, and if it's too easy you can file the handles.

What does the pennies being glued do? And why do you file the handles down. If you cant tell im noob when it comes to grippers.

Gluing pennies to the inside of the handles decreases the range of motion of the gripper making it easier. Filing does just the opposite because you're essentially giving the gripper a larger ROM and making it more difficult to close.

Back