Cobrinha instructional video

zsmith3727

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH4gosWYlFs&feature=youtu.be

Hey guys I know the other week someone posted that we were taking requests for Cobrinha instructional videos. That is definitely the case and this is the latest one just out today. I know we had some requests for DLR and we are going to start filming those right after ADCC. For right now Cobrinha is pretty busy, but I will keep track of all the requests and we will get to yours I promise! Im new to this forum but I've been on the reddit one for a few years even before I started working for Cobrinha and I'm looking forward to being here with you guys too. I don't just post Cobrinha videos. Im pumped to hangout here too and be apart of all of the cool discussions. I'm just a fan of the sport and the community that happens to work for Cobrinha, so I wanted to use my position to help get that community some quality instruction online from a world champion that you all specifically have asked for. Looking forward to being a part of the forum!!

Is the back take off the knee slide Cobrinha hits at 2:06 in the video below a move he actually trains or did he just do it on the fly? When I saw him do it on Rader live it blew my mind. Anyway, it would be cool to see an instructional of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9irEy638pao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH4gosWYlFs&feature=youtu.be

Hey guys I know the other week someone posted that we were taking requests for Cobrinha instructional videos. That is definitely the case and this is the latest one just out today. I know we had some requests for DLR and we are going to start filming those right after ADCC. For right now Cobrinha is pretty busy, but I will keep track of all the requests and we will get to yours I promise! Im new to this forum but I've been on the reddit one for a few years even before I started working for Cobrinha and I'm looking forward to being here with you guys too. I don't just post Cobrinha videos. Im pumped to hangout here too and be apart of all of the cool discussions. I'm just a fan of the sport and the community that happens to work for Cobrinha, so I wanted to use my position to help get that community some quality instruction online from a world champion that you all specifically have asked for. Looking forward to being a part of the forum!!

Thanks for the videos and good to have you here! Btw quote either this or Drew's post to see how to embed videos. Basically you click the little youtube logo when you reply and put the string of numbers and letters after the "watch?v=" inside the brackets that come up.

[YT]LH4gosWYlFs[/YT]

Is the back take off the knee slide Cobrinha hits at 2:06 in the video below a move he actually trains or did he just do it on the fly? When I saw him do it on Rader live it blew my mind. Anyway, it would be cool to see an instructional of it.

Cobrinha's a master at getting the seatbelt/harness grip from so many different angles. That was the first match I'd ever seen him do it that way. So if you pause at at 2:11, usually he might either lock a brabo/darce choke or finish the knee slide through to long step around the head, doing a 180 degree spin from where he is at 2:11, and snag the harness after he goes around their head. This is the first time I've seen him jump over the lower part of their body to snag the seatbelt. If you pause at 2:12 it looks like Rader's back is exposed enough for it so Cobrinha locks it and clears the legs. Another cool thing he does at 2:12 is he goes ahead and gets wrist control on Rader's right wrist before jumping over.

@zsmith3727, I'd definitely love to see a video on this, especially if it's something that he does regularly. I remember seeing it on the live stream and assumed he improvised it.

Cobrinha's one of those few guys who I consider to be the highest level of master because not only has he won multiple world titles, he has black belt world champion students as well. Not many people can say that. Fabio Gurgel, Draculino, Terere, Gordo, Leo Viera if you want to count ADCC titles...I can't think of any others off the top of my head. It takes a special person to both be that good at the art and also that good at teaching the art.

Cobrinha's one of those few guys who I consider to be the highest level of master because not only has he won multiple world titles, he has black belt world champion students as well. Not many people can say that. Fabio Gurgel, Draculino, Terere, Gordo, Leo Viera if you want to count ADCC titles...I can't think of any others off the top of my head. It takes a special person to both be that good at the art and also that good at teaching the art.

Xande (Lovato). Marcelo (Dominyka Obelenyte).

It also disqualifies the really young ones (like the Mendes bros) because they're too young to have a lot of BB students.

Xande (Lovato). Marcelo (Dominyka Obelenyte).

It also disqualifies the really young ones (like the Mendes bros) because they're too young to have a lot of BB students.

Yeah, Saulo/Xande with Lovato and Marcelo too. And I realize that young guys can't fall into this category, but I think some will before too long like the Mendes bros, Galvao, and perhaps Romulo Barral. It remains to be seen how good they are as coaches I suppose, though obviously early results look promising.

also Drysdale (Michelle Niciolini). Alternatively (or in addition) you could credit Cavaca for Niciolini.

Well, Cavaca you could also at least partially credit with Buchecha. I'm not sure if he officially got his BB from Cavaca or Leo, but he definitely trained a great deal with Cavaca coming up the ranks.

Yeah man. I've said this before but I think he maybe isn't quite as appreciated for how incredible he is because he just barely missed out on the big internet boom for BJJ. When he had his insane run, I don't think any of those events were streamed live, and BJJ/MMA wasn't as popular as it is now. Now that we're in the era where damn near every single combat sports event has a live stream, I don't think there's ever been but maybe a couple events where his main rival hasn't had a live stream for his major tournaments.

He also seems to be pretty quiet. if you Google or Youtube "Cobrinha interview" or 'Cobrinha rolling" you won't find much.

He also seems to be pretty quiet. if you Google or Youtube "Cobrinha interview" or 'Cobrinha rolling" you won't find much.

He posts almost daily on his FB page. I was at his gym around New Years. Tough classes and Cobrinha is a really nice guy.

He posts almost daily on his FB page. I was at his gym around New Years. Tough classes and Cobrinha is a really nice guy.

Ahh. I've been taking a break from FB for a little over a year now. I meant nothing disparaging about the man at all. He's one of my favorite grapplers ever. I just meant that he seems like a chill guy. One of my best friends used to train there and said he was a fantastic coach and a really great guy.

He talks a lot in this one

[YT]x-D6_HeWIoY[/YT]

Last edited:
Wow!! Thanks for all of your help guys! I'll show all of the comment to Cobrinha, he's gonna love them. But yes he takes the back like that a lot from passing. Its amazing. Anytime he starts to pass and you try to turn away to turtle he latches that seat belt on and its over. I'll let him tell you guys the details. So far I have down that we need to make a DLR video(let me know if you want it to be offensive or defensive) and the back take off a guard pass.

Yeah man. I've said this before but I think he maybe isn't quite as appreciated for how incredible he is because he just barely missed out on the big internet boom for BJJ. When he had his insane run, I don't think any of those events were streamed live, and BJJ/MMA wasn't as popular as it is now. Now that we're in the era where damn near every single combat sports event has a live stream, I don't think there's ever been but maybe a couple events where his main rival hasn't had a live stream for his major tournaments.

Ya there isn't a lot out there from him. Thats what I'm trying to change. He really is a great instructor and one of the nicest guys around and its a shame more people don't know that about him. You're totally right about the internet boom though. If that had been as big in '00-'10 more people would know about how good he really is.

He is very active on his Facebook and Instagram pages though. Those are full of cool drills that he does in the advanced classes.

Thanks again for showing me how to embed the videos and for embedding them all! Thats why the BJJ community is the best.

Wow!! Thanks for all of your help guys! I'll show all of the comment to Cobrinha, he's gonna love them. But yes he takes the back like that a lot from passing. Its amazing. Anytime he starts to pass and you try to turn away to turtle he latches that seat belt on and its over. I'll let him tell you guys the details. So far I have down that we need to make a DLR video(let me know if you want it to be offensive or defensive) and the back take off a guard pass.

Ya there isn't a lot out there from him. Thats what I'm trying to change. He really is a great instructor and one of the nicest guys around and its a shame more people don't know that about him. You're totally right about the internet boom though. If that had been as big in '00-'10 more people would know about how good he really is.

He is very active on his Facebook and Instagram pages though. Those are full of cool drills that he does in the advanced classes.

Thanks again for showing me how to embed the videos and for embedding them all! Thats why the BJJ community is the best.

Don't thank us man. Thank you for helping to share more from one of the best athletes and coaches ever in our sport/art.

I've spent 6 weeks training at Cobrinha's school once and it was just amazing. His level of technique and details is game changing.

What do you guys mean when you say he isn't as appreciated for how good he is since his prime was a little earlier than the internet boom? Isn't Cobrinha always considered the favorite (besides Rafa) and widely regarded as one of the all time greats?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back