close grip bench question

ThaiBoxer80

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I did a search but didnt find anything that helped. While doing close grip bench, in the down position where should the bar be in relation to my chest? Also, where should it be in in relation to my body in the up position? I start with the bar just above my nipples but I notice I naturally end with the bar lower over my body. Im thinking this is wrong and it should just be up and down in a perfect line, right?

Theres many ways to do any kind of exercise in my opinion, depending on what part u want to train. But the close grip bench should be like this:
Lift bar off holds, bring it to mid chest level, lower it kind of slow, touch chest, explode it up in a straight line, dont swing the bar left or right, it should go straight up. When you lower the bar it should touch the middle or alittle lower than middle part of your chest and the grip on your hands should be anything your comfortable with. If you for example feel like I do and feel pain on your wrists, maybe you should make the grip abit wider. Try this sample workout, it will burn those triceps:
Do 3 sets of 3 to 5 reps of highest weight you can do, then do 3 sets of as many reps as fast as you can with normal weight. For me, i do 190 like 4 times, 185 5 times, then 185 again 5 times, then i lower it to 135, and bang out as many reps. Hope this helps.

Ive heard several different people say different things like start low on the chest but end up with the bar over your eyes or push it up naturally and let it go where your arms want, but I felt like letting it go down past my lower chest didnt sound or feel right. Its kind of confusing with the the gym "experts" around. Your suggestion sounds good, Ill give it a try.

do it like your normal bench with a narower grip (bar goes down to lower chest - upper abs (personal preference) and comes up in straight line).

graedy said:
do it like your normal bench with a narower grip (bar goes down to lower chest - upper abs (personal preference) and comes up in straight line).

Normal BP should end at the nipple, you may be kicking too much of your triceps into the movement.

When I Close-Grip Bench Press, I lower the bar to the bottom of my rib cage keeping my elbows close to my body, whereas with a wider grip, I bring them out to the sides more.

I bring it up...hold it over my chest, bring it down, hits right under my pecks(upper ribs) and then bring it up straight...hope that helps

Back