Cleans

la vengeance

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just recently began doing cleans. However, I have a slight problem, when I catch the bar at the top I have problems putting my elbows up and it slightly hurts my wrists.

I think it's a flexibility issue...
Has anyone had this problem before andor have any suggestions that may help me solve this problem?

Thanks guys.

I think everyone has this problem with cleans at first... just remember to keep your catch solid and in good form and your wrists will adapt.

Yes. Keep doin' it. You'll get used to do/adapt, or you'll die.

I agree, this problem is pretty much universal when starting cleans and/or clean grip front squats. The trick is to actively stretch your wrists out for a few minutes before and after you do them...and also do lots of front squats. Just like anything else your flexibility here can be improved with time and stretching. Almost all the olympic movements have a large flexibility component to them, be it the flexibility required for an ATG squat, the wrists for cleans and front squats, or the shoulder flexibility required for snatches/overhead squats.

Im having the same issue. Do front squats too, it helps.

You're gay.

ooooooooo bern.

You shouldn't be asking this question because you SHOULD have Starting Strength. But since you obviously don't...I'll try to explain the best I can.

Set a bar to around shoulder level in a powerrack.

Grip the bar with your left hand (Palms facing away from you)

While gripping the bar, then move your shoulder underneath the bar like it would in the racked position

Use your other hand(the right one) to help raise your left elbow

Repeat for other hand

I think everyone has this problem with cleans at first... just remember to keep your catch solid and in good form and your wrists will adapt.

qft. It took me awhile to adjust, but I eventually got it. Good form is definately a big factor.

try not to rack bar on your palms but instead on the fingers. By racking the bar to your palms youll hurt your wrists. fingers have more flexibility.

A few things to try.

Widen your grip a little bit. I found that my widening my grip by about an inch and a half each hand I could not only rack the bar better but front squat and jerk it better as well.

Front squats x lots. Always focusing on keeping your elbows up.

Rack the bar with a bit of weight and just focus on stretching. Do it every workout, the flexibility will come eventually.

Drill it and do X. The more cleans the better.

Carnal only pitches... how dare you even suggest a possibility of him catching....

Back