Cleaning gi's of blood stains, sweat marks, and general gi funk.

UltimaMMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just found this tip to cleaning gi's of the general nastiness we put them thru when training:

Throw some Oxiclean in your wash with super hot water - just enough to mix with the powder. Let it sit long enough so the powder disolves. Fill up the machine with cold water and add your gi. Let it soak for an hour. Wash it normal after soaking. Rinse it off and sit it in the sun to dry. You may want to rinse again to remove any existing powder. I just tried this and my gi is super white and smells fresh. It removed the sweat marks in the pits, blood stains, and my gi used to be a bit yellow.

Unlike chlorine bleach, Oxiclean doesn't kill your fabric, so you can use it with colors and stuff. But to be safe, I'd color test it on the fabric first.

Either way, please wash your gi's at least once a week. I hate rolling with stinky partners.

I was my gi generally on Sundays as I roll on Saturday so it is nice and clean for my Tuesday class.

Gotta agree with you on the oxiclean, great stuff for removing blood stains thought i'd probly have to replace my gi after the last time my nose got broken (heel to the face from a guy trying to armbar me, I escaped but my gi was drenched in blood) but oxiclean got the stuff out pretty good.

Thanks for the tip. Just curious, is anyone else here proud of like the blood stains on their gi? Like I understand washing out the sweat and general gi funk, but I dont know for some reason I just get a kick of the blood stains being signs of how hard Ive trained.

Reminds me of the belt progression. The changing colors of the belts signify all the blood and sweat that goes into the training, thats why it starts with white and ends with black. Because the belt becomes stained and soiled by the blood and sweat you put into training. Just my two cents.

blood stains scare noobs and ppl in tournaments.

I see what you're saying, but how about the MEMORY of blood stains to remind you of how hard you trained? I'm one of those people who would be a little hesitant to roll with you if you had blood stains all over your gi...(your blood? someone else's? a week old? a day old? hepatitis a/b/c?)...

lol yeah same here I understand that. I thought it was technically clean after the washing, but still the color remained or something Im not sure haha. Yeah hep = ewww

DMcKayBJJ said:
I see what you're saying, but how about the MEMORY of blood stains to remind you of how hard you trained? I'm one of those people who would be a little hesitant to roll with you if you had blood stains all over your gi...(your blood? someone else's? a week old? a day old? hepatitis a/b/c?)...
hepatitis cant survive outside of a host unless you're keeping the blood nice and warm.

feel free to correct me if i am wrong. i'd like to know.

Nasty ass ringworm breeds in damp/dank gi's along with other crap like mildew, mold, spores, etc. Either way, people should wash their gi's. If that's too much to ask, please, at least hit your gi up with Lysol or some other disinfectant spray.

I never wash my belt, it smells like shit, has blood stains all over it, and in about 5 weeks it will be totally black from the mat.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
I never wash my belt, it smells like shit, has blood stains all over it, and in about 5 weeks it will be totally black from the mat.

wash that shit.

SmashiusClay said:
Gotta agree with you on the oxiclean, great stuff for removing blood stains thought i'd probly have to replace my gi after the last time my nose got broken (heel to the face from a guy trying to armbar me, I escaped but my gi was drenched in blood) but oxiclean got the stuff out pretty good.

That reminds me of my MMA class, some guy tried to shoot in on me and he accidentally headbutted me and it opened a nasty cut above my eyebrow. (16 stitches) My red sprawl shorts just got a lot more redder, and I got the mats really dirty. (The blood actually spurts out like in kill bill)

RickoOodles said:
That reminds me of my MMA class, some guy tried to shoot in on me and he accidentally headbutted me and it opened a nasty cut above my eyebrow. (16 stitches) My red sprawl shorts just got a lot more redder, and I got the mats really dirty. (The blood actually spurts out like in kill bill)
Look at some UFC's aka GnR

Hydrogen Peroxide is great for blood stains, I think that's what the active ingredient is in Oxyclean. use NON-chlorine bleach everytime. I use BIZ it works very well.
i've tapped being on bottom of a side mount do to the putrid odor of onions and B.O.
Just told the guy I was gassed. didn't have the heart to say "you reek bro"

Does the oxiclean work like clorox? Cus if it does, I don't want my gi turning yellow or the fabric to start stiffing up and tear easily.

Yeah, Oxiclean works pretty well. But I always wondered if it isn't as bad for your gi life as bleach is? But is surely works.
I can't stand blood stains on my gi. It just looks dirty even if it has been washed. I also can't stand people who don't wash their gi everyday. They smell.

Back