Cleaning gi's of blood stains, sweat marks, and general gi funk.

Oxiclean has some of the same properties as hydrogen peroxide which break down the stains in order to remove it. I've been using it on my gis for a couple of months and it works wonderfully. The gi feels strong and it definitely keeps the gi white and does not turn it yellow like bleach. I love oxyclean :)

As far as blood stains go, just make sure they don't dry up for too long, and soak the areas with COLD water and just rub them and rinse them off, and then you can wash your clothes regularly. It works great for blood.

Oxiclean has some of the same properties as hydrogen peroxide which break down the stains in order to remove it. I've been using it on my gis for a couple of months and it works wonderfully. The gi feels strong and it definitely keeps the gi white and does not turn it yellow like bleach. I love oxyclean :)

So in the long run it'll stiffen up you gi and the fabric is going to tear easily in the long run. Since its got some similar properties to bleach. I've never tried oxiclean before. I hope it's like a magic dust that cleans it out well but doesn't have any side effects.

Old thread but probably a useful bump. Oxyclean works wonders, especially on white gis. If the stains are particularly bad -Fill the washer up about halfway, stir in two-three scoops of oxyclean until it dissolves, then throw in the gi and let it soak for over an hour. After the soak throw in detergent and run the normal wash cycle.

If there are still stains try it again another time but it should already be noticeably whiter. For all those worrying about gi life, oxyclean has been extremely gentle on anything I have ever used it on.

Well as far as cleaning Gis, not necessarily for blood. Is vinegar ok to use? I searched on google and people say vinegar is actually really good for your gi. I also know this one guy who trains with me and he says he washes his gi with vinegar and his gi look really nice. Does it have any negative effects on your gi?

Well as far as cleaning Gis, not necessarily for blood. Is vinegar ok to use? I searched on google and people say vinegar is actually really good for your gi. I also know this one guy who trains with me and he says he washes his gi with vinegar and his gi look really nice. Does it have any negative effects on your gi?

vinegar is fine. people have been using white vinegar to help wash clothes forever. also, for color gi's it's been known to help set the color and hold off fading. seriously, go to google and search "white vinegar laundry" and you will see tons of links for some uses of white vinegar.

as far as oxiclean, i've been using it and my white gi's look great. the only place that has any real sign of stains is the back of the collar which makes sense since it getting all the sweat from my neck and head. its almost not noticable though and i'm sure it would come out if i soaked the gi longer. i usually just fill the washer, put oxiclean, then detergent, then put the clothes in and go. no soaking.

Last edited:
Blood stains get cleaned with cold wash. Warm or hot sets them in

vinegar is fine. people have been using white vinegar to help wash clothes forever. also, for color gi's it's been known to help set the color and hold off fading. seriously, go to google and search "white vinegar laundry" and you will see tons of links for some uses of white vinegar.

as far as oxiclean, i've been using it and my white gi's look great. the only place that has any real sign of stains is the back of the collar which makes sense since it getting all the sweat from my neck and head. its almost not noticable though and i'm sure it would come out if i soaked the gi longer. i usually just fill the washer, put oxiclean, then detergent, then put the clothes in and go. no soaking.
Do you use a specific type of oxiclean? I know this is kinda redundant but I just wanna make sure im using the right things haha

Do you use a specific type of oxiclean? I know this is kinda redundant but I just wanna make sure im using the right things haha

i personally use the powders as it seems to be more cost effective. plus i can find it at costco. however, currently i have this version in my laundry room which is perfume, chlorine, and dye free. my costco only has the regular version which honestly i don't know if it's much different as far as smell is concerned. anyway, you can find all different versions at the store, but like i said the powders seem to be cheaper.

To me this is an interesting thread because I have the hardest time keeping my white gi looking sparkly white. The situation is that I live in an apartment and can't wash the gi right after I roll in it and have to wait until the weekend when I bring all my clothes and gi's to a laundromat.

I throw my white gi in the machine with my white clothes and wash them in hot water. I also add a spoon full of Oxiclean to the pre-wash and regular detergent for the main wash. The gi comes out clean but not fully white like it is on the inside of the gi. I just don't like how my gi looks "dirty".

Maybe I need to pre-soak my gi in Oxiclean before I bring it to the laundromat? Or maybe I need to start adding Oxiclean to the main wash too? Thanks to anyone who could enlightenment me on what to do to keep the gi looking really white.

Last edited:
dude, if you roll saturday then you need to be washing your gi saturday, letting in stew all night and washing it the next day is how you get a funky ass gi funk. first thing i do when i come home is go straight to the washer.

To me this is an interesting thread because I have the hardest time keeping my white gi looking sparkly white. The situation is that I live in an apartment and can't wash the gi right after I roll in it and have to wait until the weekend when I bring all my clothes and gi's to a laundromat.

I throw my white gi in the machine with my white clothes and wash them in hot water. I also add a spoon full of Oxiclean to the pre-wash and regular detergent for the main wash. The gi comes out clean but not fully white like it is on the inside of the gi. I just don't like how my gi looks "dirty".

Maybe I need to pre-soak my gi in Oxiclean before I bring it to the laundromat? Or maybe I need to start adding Oxiclean to the main wash too? Thanks to anyone who could enlightenment me on what to do to keep the gi looking really white.

dude, if you roll saturday then you need to be washing your gi saturday, letting in stew all night and washing it the next day is how you get a funky ass gi funk. first thing i do when i come home is go straight to the washer.

i agree. try and wash it the same night. otherwise you are just letting all the dirtiness set in and it will make it harder to get any stains/dirt out and also the gi will start to smell. however, now that it is dirty, soaking it in either oxiclean or vinegar for 30-45 mins prior to washing should hopefully help. try that a few times and hopefully it will start to look better.

If I could I would wash the gi right after I roll, but I can't due to timing (time when bjj ends and laundromat closes).

I'm gonna try pre-soaking it before washing. Thanks for the tips dat1978.

If I could I would wash the gi right after I roll, but I can't due to timing (time when bjj ends and laundromat closes).

I'm gonna try pre-soaking it before washing. Thanks for the tips dat1978.

Why don't you just hand wash it in the bathtub or something?

anyone have experience with RIT whitener? my ripstop pants are dark in the knees. any help would be great

My problem is how the hell do you wash the duffel bag? Ok i bring my clean gi in the duffel bag, train, get sweaty, put that shit back into my duffel bag, take it home, wash my gi,

next day, i put my cleaned gi in my duffel bag that i just put my dirty sweaty gi into, and because my duffel bag is black, i believe its perfect environment for bacteria that came from my sweaty gi, probably brewing in the bag all night... which transfers onto my washed gi...

My problem is how the hell do you wash the duffel bag? Ok i bring my clean gi in the duffel bag, train, get sweaty, put that shit back into my duffel bag, take it home, wash my gi,

next day, i put my cleaned gi in my duffel bag that i just put my dirty sweaty gi into, and because my duffel bag is black, i believe its perfect environment for bacteria that came from my sweaty gi, probably brewing in the bag all night... which transfers onto my washed gi...

My duffel bag is for clean articles of clothing only. Once I am done training I usually drive home wearing the gi. My car interior is leather so I wipe it down with some armor all to rid the sweat and funk. Once I arrive home I proceed to wash and dry my gi and stuff it in my duffel bag for the next use. If you want bring a trash bag with you so you can place it in there before throwing it in your duffel.

Back