Claudio Calasans: Judo & BJJ [BJJHacks TV new episode]

Hywel Teague

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
New 3-part episode featuring BJJ & judo black belt Claudio Calasans (4x Abu Dhabi Pro champ, European and PanAm champ)

Enjoy!

[YT]f3IJh7FltI8[/YT]

Nice. your stuff is always great Hywel

Let's see if Claudio can settle the score with Leandro Lo at this Worlds

Thanks a lot for putting these free videos out there, very appreciated! Good choice of filming the introduction by the `lagoa` :D

Great stuff, I watch yours and stuart cooper videos nearly every day :)

Part 2 now live... we get a good look at his S&C training, and then we examine two of his trademark techniques

Thanks a lot for putting these free videos out there, very appreciated! Good choice of filming the introduction by the `lagoa` :D

Great stuff, I watch yours and stuart cooper videos nearly every day :)

Thanks! Much appreciated, I'm glad you're enjoying them

Part 3 just went live!

If you like judo, you'll definitely like this video...

[YT]cNbUnMZPBp8[/YT]

Very cool. I really wish he'd said what specific modifications he makes to uchi mata to get it to work for BJJ as it's my favorite Judo throw but I find it hard to be effective with in jiu jitsu.

Very cool. I really wish he'd said what specific modifications he makes to uchi mata to get it to work for BJJ as it's my favorite Judo throw but I find it hard to be effective with in jiu jitsu.

Never would have guessed. :D

From the video, it looked like he sort of does a weird hane goshi/uchi mata amalgam instead of a traditional uchi mata.

Instead of putting the leg in between uke's legs, he keeps his leg parallel and pushes off of uke's far leg, while sort of hooking the knee.

Look close @ 0:25 and again @ 2:03.

His ideas on how judo helps you conceptually are really cool.

I wish there was a breakdown on the guillotine roll. Help us, Hywel, you're our only hope.

From the video, it looked like he sort of does a weird hane goshi/uchi mata amalgam instead of a traditional uchi mata.

Instead of putting the leg in between uke's legs, he keeps his leg parallel and pushes off of uke's far leg, while sort of hooking the knee.

Look close @ 0:25 and again @ 2:03.

Watch Kosei Inoue here. Uchi mata can hit the outside leg, and doesn't have to necessarily go right up the middle. A lot of people get caught up on the leg placement with hane goshi, and I think it's one of the most misunderstood throws throws in Judo. As I understand it, hane goshi is mostly about the springing hip action, and "bouncing" them up and over your hips, and legg about where the leg goes. You'll see hane taught with the leg bent like a bird's wing at 90 degrees, or 45 degrees, or even pretty straight. Without the "springing hip" it's definitely an uchi mata.

Anyways, here's some uchi mata videos from Kosei Inoue, one of the best ever at it, where the leg sweeps up into the far leg.

His ideas on how judo helps you conceptually are really cool.

I wish there was a breakdown on the guillotine roll. Help us, Hywel, you're our only hope.

I don't know if you have any MGinaction or Mendes Bros access, but Marcelo's "flying guillotine" videos he teaches how to roll over (arm-out) and then roll back to the mount, or chase them as they come up to their knees. On the Mendes site there are videos where Rafa shows his roll over (arm-in) and then traps the arm with his legs, switching to the anaconda from his side, or runs up to the knees and swims the darce/brabo through.

Depending on what type of learner you are, maybe you can try to find a link and sort of bridge the gap to what Calasans is doing. Also, Hello Japan has a good highlight video where you can see a lot of crazy guillotines from Calasans that I had never seen before, so I'm gonna attach that, as well as a BJJ Scout breakdown (it's near the end) of his rolling guillotines. Hopefully they help you?

Last edited:
Back