Circuit Question

tough_remedy

White Belt
Reaction score
Im getting ready to join a MMA gym and I want a head start on conditioning to be ahead of the game. I want to do 5 5min circuits performing every exercise for 1 minute each. I have a tractor tire, sledge hammer, sand bag i built, an some olympic weights. My question though, should i do each round devoted to muscle groups or do each round with mixed exercises hitting every muscle group per round?

So this:

R1-back and bis
R2- legs
R3- chest and tris
R4- rotation power exercises
R5- shoulders

or each round focus on a little bit of everything?

huh? your gonna organize your weight lifting into 5 5 min rounds?

for strength do compound lifts. squats, deadlifts, cleans, benchpress etc

for some good conditioning advice check out the FAQ's

no all of my exercises are conditioning exercises. i try to sray away from a bar and weights as much as possible. I do each exercise for a minute straight. each minute is a different conditioning exercise. for example: R1-keg toss with sandbag for 1 minute, then tire flips for 1 minute, then cleans for 1 minute, sand bag rows for 1 minute, and maybe end the round with curls for 1 minute. Get it?

no all of my exercises are conditioning exercises. i try to sray away from a bar and weights as much as possible. I do each exercise for a minute straight. each minute is a different conditioning exercise. for example: R1-keg toss with sandbag for 1 minute, then tire flips for 1 minute, then cleans for 1 minute, sand bag rows for 1 minute, and maybe end the round with curls for 1 minute. Get it?

Sounds like a good circuit except for the curls. Since you're not training for body building, there is zero need to split your training based on body parts. You could replace the curls with sledge hammer swings on the tire.

I would do all muscle groups in each circuit to avoid fatiguing a certain group to the point of destruction.

Maybe also do 30 seconds of each exercise twice, almost a circuit within a circuit if you like.

I also like the idea of having 5 exercises, 5 minute rounds and you just perform a random number of reps depending on how you feel.

IE do 5 burpees, 20 swings, another 5 burpees, 15 pushups, 10 squats, 4 snatches, 8 burpees, 15 snatches etc

Sounds like a good circuit except for the curls. Since you're not training for body building, there is zero need to split your training based on body parts. You could replace the curls with sledge hammer swings on the tire.

QFT

If you're conditioning for fighting, which I'm assuming you are cause you're doing it by rounds, then splitting it by bodypart is silly. I've never seen a fight of any kind where the fighters used only one bodypart per round. Use whole body exercises every round.

watch sean sherk do his caveman training for some inspiration

-start lifting weights....they are essential to your development...what type of resistance you choose is up to you...bodyweight training without external resistance can only go so far as far as limit strength and power is concerned..
-focus on movements ....not bodyparts...
-get infinite intensity or never gymless by ross enamait...he got quality conditioning and strength endurance training with minimal equipment...

What Brock Lesnar's trainer did was soemthing like this I believe

Round 1-Pushing

Round 2-Pulling

Round 3-Cardio

Round 4-Push/Pull

Round 5-Cardio

Something like that, I myself aim for the verge of puking every conditioning session! Like they say, you want the fight to seem easy compared to the training! GL bro!

There are lots of videos on the internet that show how to train for MMA strength and conditioning. One of my favorite is a simple circuit training video by Randy Couture. He shows how to get in a great weight routine with just a barbell with a 25 lb on each side. You can view it at World Extreme Fighter. I hope this helps.

i did something that almost got me puking. i tried the workout of a fighter i knew.

Round 1: Upper Body
Round 2: Snatches/Burpees
Round 3: Diverse Cardio
Round 4: Complexes
Round 5: Functional Strength

that was the worst 30 minutes of my life.

Back