Chris Weidman, Cain Velasquez, Frankie Edgar = Similar Prototype, Different Weight

MDEmike

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Here are the similarities:

-Wrestling base
-Improved, advanced striking
-Never been submitted
-Best takedowns in their divisions
-Cardio for days
-Former/current champions
-Extremely well-rounded
-Acclaimed work ethic in the gym
-Good recovery and heart

They are extremely similar fighters. Even the way they move has a comparable look. When broken down they all have a slight edge in one particular thing:

Striking: As far as technique goes both on offense and defense, Frankie probably gets the slight edge. Chris did KO Anderson. Cain did stand with Junior. But Frankie's speed and technical boxing seem to be slightly better.

Submissions: Weidman has to take this one. He is the most offensive BJJ guy of the three. But they all show elite submission defense.

Wrestling: All of them appear to be able to take down virtually anyone, given enough opportunities. But, Cain seems to get guys down effortlessly. One thing these guys don't do, is smother their opponents. Sometimes it works to their disadvantage, as their opponents scramble to their feet. But, they all work hard and advance on the ground fearlessly. Edge, Cain.

This seems to be the ideal MMA prototype. I know you could point out Frankie and Cain having similar suspect chins. As of now, you'd have to give the edge there to Chris. I can't recall how tested his chin is, though.

I know there are other guys with good striking and great wrestling, GSP, McDonald, etc. But there is just something eerily similar about these 3 guys to me. Anyone else see it?

They even look kind of alike, despite Cain's "Brown Pride."

i see where ur comin from with these similarities.

Its weird to think of frankie in the same light as weidman and cain thought simply because of GnP... striking is different as well as frankie moves a shit ton.

But i cant disagree with any of the points you made though...

So I would agree moreso with Weidman and Cain as opposed to Frankie being thrown in there as well imo

I agree. Really, the only thing that differs out of the three is the specific striking style they employ. Power kickboxing vs stick and move vs basic kickboxing to setup TD's.

Except Weidman and Edgar have never been knocked out, Weidman has that one punch ko, Edgar and Weidman have much better striking..

Frankie doesn't have near the top game of Weidman or Cain.

Velasquez really looked like a supersized Frankie in his rematch with JDS due to all that head movement.

How in the hell you know if Weidman has cardio for days or great heart/recovery?

Most high level wrestlers have good cardio. It's not that ridiculous.

True , but it remains to be seen how fresh he is in a 5 round fight especially if it is fought at a furious pace and he is receiving damage or is the one pushing it, we know Frankie can do it and we know that Cain probably has the best Cardio of anyone above 200lbs

True , but it remains to be seen how fresh he is in a 5 round fight especially if it is fought at a furious pace and he is receiving damage or is the one pushing it, we know Frankie can do it and we know that Cain probably has the best Cardio of anyone above 200lbs

Cain almost never stopped in his rematch with JDS, and it was 5 rounds of him doing a lot of work, standing, taking JDS down, clinching and on the ground.

Lol at Weidman's cardio being comparable to Cain and Frankie. We have this new criteria now, good wrestler = cardio for days.

Weidman doesn't have the best takedown or cardio and Frankie doesn't have the best takedowns. I don't think you can really group them together past being wrestleboxers, Weidman in particular has a very distinct grappling style from Frankie and Cain.

Here are the similarities:

-Wrestling base
-Improved, advanced striking
-Never been submitted
-Best takedowns in their divisions
-Cardio for days
-Former/current champions
-Extremely well-rounded
-Acclaimed work ethic in the gym
-Good recovery and heart

They are extremely similar fighters. Even the way they move has a comparable look. When broken down they all have a slight edge in one particular thing:

Striking: As far as technique goes both on offense and defense, Frankie probably gets the slight edge. Chris did KO Anderson. Cain did stand with Junior. But Frankie's speed and technical boxing seem to be slightly better.

Submissions: Weidman has to take this one. He is the most offensive BJJ guy of the three. But they all show elite submission defense.

Wrestling: All of them appear to be able to take down virtually anyone, given enough opportunities. But, Cain seems to get guys down effortlessly. One thing these guys don't do, is smother their opponents. Sometimes it works to their disadvantage, as their opponents scramble to their feet. But, they all work hard and advance on the ground fearlessly. Edge, Cain.

This seems to be the ideal MMA prototype. I know you could point out Frankie and Cain having similar suspect chins. As of now, you'd have to give the edge there to Chris. I can't recall how tested his chin is, though.

I know there are other guys with good striking and great wrestling, GSP, McDonald, etc. But there is just something eerily similar about these 3 guys to me. Anyone else see it?

They even look kind of alike, despite Cain's "Brown Pride."

I think you could sum this up as they are all "well rounded"

Most high level wrestlers have good cardio. It's not that ridiculous.

Johny Hendricks is one of, if not the most decorated collegiate wrestler in the UFC. And he has cardio for ~2 rounds.

Weidman's cardio remains to be seen, as the only fights we've seen him go the distance in were short notice fights where he did not have a full camp.

His chin is also untested, don't think I've ever seen the guy take a clean shot to the head.

I think we could add mighty mouse to this also. But I also think Weidman has better subs then the others. But overall I believe wresting or some form of it is the best style to come from and build on. IMO its just easier to learn stand up then learn wrestling.

So the ugly showcase of gassing in Maia fight is all explained by short notice?
(no offense of sarcasm, I just want to know)

Probably had something to do with cutting something like 32lbs in 8 days or something very similar and he was just teaching classes at that point not training for a fight so both of which would affect him and lets not forget Maia is a pretty good fighter himself and Weidman still won.

Back