Chris Weidman at Heavyweight or Welterweight?

Give LHW a shot again. He lost to the # 1 contender who gave Jones fits. There is no shame in that.

Knocked out is what I think obv.

I hate to say it and see it but I think Weidman's best move might be to just step down to Bellator.

The UFC doesn't do favors to get guys back on track 99% of the time. It's a murderous row for most each time out and Weidman has more or less ran his course in the UFC. Honestly, barely have a care in the world to see him fight in the UFC anymore.

Wouldn't matter much would it?

USADA doesn't discriminate between weight classes

HW?

Na. I want him to bulk up to 450lbs and go to Japan as an American Sumo.

He's my boy.... but he has no chin anymore.

He is not really my boy.

People need to wake up and smell the napalm. Chris is a large middleweight so welterweight isnt even on the radar. Chris needs to stay at middleweight and start to have a heavy wrestling/ grappling gameplan and see where that takes him.The one thing that's still in his favor is that 185 isn't that deep.

Flip side of coin - Chris already took advantage of that small opening of window----and made the most of it. Chris made bank in Anderson fights and everything after that. I dont like to call fighters " done" ( unless they're in 40s and obvious at that) but Chris is hanging by a thread, imo. Rockhold is broken( jaw-head) - I feel for the guy......Chris is already in that path but not there just yet.

If I'm Luongo- Serra- what do you really say to guy like Chris who has that fighters ego and still believes. It's a delicate line but at some point- your support system around you , well, has to support and in a productive/ healthy way.

This is why I don't consider them better than gay guard. He has a very long career compared to these two with very short careers

He should fight Rockhold again no matter at MW or LHW.

Stay at MW and fight someone like Anderson Silva.

Moving down in weight has rarely gone well for a fighter late in their career. When you get older it's easier to deal with a shallower pool of slower fighters which means going up in weight, not down.

He looks way too small to ever compete at heavyweight.

Weidman is too small for HW. He will get destroyed by the top 50.

This is why I don't consider them better than gay guard. He has a very long career compared to these two with very short careers
Especially weidman- and when they fought it was prime moose vs a weidman one fight removed from being champ ....and the way he beat him. He let the larger elite WRESTLER/BJJ Chris take him down in 1st round - what 4 times ?- gave him his back & neck and popped up within seconds. Chris, then for 1st time in career, was just totally outclassed on the feet in 2nd. Chris could not keep moose at the end of his punches ( his bread and butter) as gegard just backed him down while putting the hurt on him. Great win and what transpired after is still shocking to me.

Well- I say that in the sense that rockhold is in like chuck mode- theres no point and the last fight had the worst possible outcome- lights out( again) with a busted jaw to boot. We wont see Luke in mma ( unless its grappling event) unless its agsinst Chris, at 205 and after Chris loses by tko/ ko in his next ( and that scenario isnt likely- meaning if Chris loses by stoppage again , it probably will be end).
If you're digesting my post properly, I'm siding on caution and maybe Chris calling it a day. I'm just saying - if Chris is adamant, he can take another fight at middle and change things up ( he does have that background) and see what happens. The way Luke has been blown up has differed from Chris but in the end , my " hanging from a thread line" speaks volumes.
Your response is semantic like anyway cause Chris is looking for a fight and Luke is not.

I understand your point, and am not trying to argue semantics. But I just fee as if though Weidman has taken far more damage these last few years than rockhold. And if rockhold is considered done, I just don’t see how Weidman isn’t. Both have great ground games but neither want to implement it during the fights, both have terrible defense standing. I don’t see how you can favor one over the other.

I understand your point, and am not trying to argue semantics. But I just fee as if though Weidman has taken far more damage these last few years than rockhold. And if rockhold is considered done, I just don’t see how Weidman isn’t. Both have great ground games but neither want to implement it during the fights, both have terrible defense standing. I don’t see how you can favor one over the other.
I'm really not arguing with u , again. Rockhold s defense was never good but camouflaged it with all his other talents. Chris's defense was actually decent- he understood the science of keeping distance and holding opponents at the end of his punches UNTIL the real talent from SFORCE came over ( Luke being one of them). They both collapsed.... and quickly. Luke was getting blown up while Chris was getting stopped ( some brutal as well).
Lol - hence , Chris is still fighting but " hanging on by a thread " and Luke is not - nor he should ever enter a cage agsin ( unless its grappling). Xhris is probably right behind him.
??
I really don't understand what you want me to acknowledge?

HW.
Every man should focus on being the best they can be.
A 225lbs, in fight shape, non weight cutting Weidman would obviously beat the shit out of a deflated Weidman who dieted and then cut to 185 and fought at ~205.

He needs to try not fighting killers every single fight.. he is one of my all time favorites, but he is not the same fighter he was and he has fought like 10 top level fighters in a row pretty much. He has had one of the hardest schedules I have ever seen.

I think LHW is the right move, MW was too hard for him to make and he wasn’t healthy at that weight. He can still get some wins at LHW if he fights guys closer to the bottom of the top 10. He really needs to up his boxing defense, his chin is clearly not what it used to be and he is pretty slow both with his footwork and reflexes so he needs to keep a tight guard.

It’s sad to see his downward spiral, with his grappling ability, timing and power in both hands he was a hell of a fighter, then when he basically beat machida in a kickboxing match I couldn’t see him losing to anyone at that point, then he loses to basically everyone after that lol

Back