Chris Leben: "Derek Brunson Is A Boring Fighter, I Let Him Hit Me"

Props to Derek. He took his UFC debut fight on VERY short notice and won. Not a lot negative about that.

Personally I think that trash talk about what you perceive as the lack-luster skill/ability of the person to whom you just lost demonstrates (at best) bad timing and (at worst) a lack of class. Not only that, but why on earth would you ever LET a person hit you? Especially when you may have to go to the judges! Seems to be a very revealing statement.....

Just a point of note: Derek Brunson, while training with Jackson's camp, has arguably done most of his training and development as a fighter in Wilmington, NC. Also, while I am not at all a fan of Greg Jackson I must say that, from the perspective of a teacher/trainer, that a short notice and high profile fight of this nature (particularly with the given skill sets of the participants) often necessitates a conservative game plan.

leben was slow and looked like he was wading through dry concrete and brunson didn't show up to fight. Not a good combination

Agreed. He has no explosiveness and is basically surviving off of chin strength. He really needs to retire.

That fight might have been interesting if Chris Leben's underrated ground game were a real thing and not just something Joe Rogan made up.

Actually it is, and I normally think rogan is a tard.

LOL, at all the Leben haters ignoring Brunsons little celebration at the end...

Shit was very disrespectful aside from being completely out of line...

"Oooooo he won his UFC debut...he was very excited"...Get that shit the fuck out, act like a man, especially in a BORING fight in which you've won by points. Dude acted like he had just finished a barn-burner.

Leben looked like shit, but that fight was terrible, you can cite Brunson's gameplan and 8 days notice, but as an unknown coming off of short notice he had very little to lose.

Considering the dude behaved like a little girl at the final bell, and the boring nature of the fight, I wouldn't see Leben's whining in the same light as some of you.

Leben can only blame himself, but that fight was garbage, Brunson's celebration was childish....i.e. Get the Leben hate the fuck out, and be objective. Most of you are losers in life, not the octagon, a la having thousands of posts on Sherdog.

Go get laid losers.

^^No the dude acted like 9 days ago I was working my other job uncertain of my MMA future...And now I just won my UFC debut on really short notice agaisnt Chris Leben on PPV.

I've seen old women in orthopedic shoes with better cardio than Leben and Brunson. That fight was sad.
Sadly, this is true. Both guys had no energy left after that fight. Seriously, both those guys had about as much energy as this guy. I've seen drunks fight with more energy. And trust me, that is not hyperbole.
1356838621250.gif
And that right there ladies and gentlemen is why that sucks. Brunson saved all his energy for the celebration. It is sad when the most exciting part of the fight was the post-fight celebration, and the post-fight celebration wasn't even that good. Jose Aldo at UFC 142, on the other hand (the difference is Aldo won and finished his fight in exciting fashion, unlike Bore-son)...

"Oooooo he won his UFC debut...he was very excited"...Get that shit the fuck out, act like a man, especially in a BORING fight in which you've won by points. Dude acted like he had just finished a barn-burner.

Leben looked like shit, but that fight was terrible, you can cite Brunson's gameplan and 8 days notice, but as an unknown coming off of short notice he had very little to lose.

Considering the dude behaved like a little girl at the final bell, and the boring nature of the fight, I wouldn't see Leben's whining in the same light as some of you.

Leben can only blame himself, but that fight was garbage, Brunson's celebration was childish....i.e. Get the Leben hate the fuck out, and be objective. Most of you are losers in life, not the octagon, a la having thousands of posts on Sherdog.

Go get laid losers.

except his spot on the UFC roster. You don't think they would have been canned him if he lost? Don't preach objectivity when you, yourself, are not being objective.

Agreed..
Brunson came out boring.. Another Jackson fighter fighting to not lose

Not this idiotic BS again. Why don't you go start another bitchy thread about how boring Jackson fighters are and how Greg is killing the sport, and leave the serious discussion to the adults.

Pot calling the kettle black. Both of them were boring and both of them deserved to have their pay revoked. Leben is a shit fighter, he always has been, but guys who like the brawlers with tattoos and dyed hair tune in to watch him fight. Leben shouldn't even be on a maincard as far as I'm concerned, he hasn't done shit in the last 5 years to deserve a spot.

Have their pay revoked? Seriously? That is a ridiculous thing to say, especially for a fighter coming in on such short notice (Brunson).

Go get laid losers.

You post something like this about a fighter, and you have the nerve to other people losers? You know what kind of year Brunson had before he won that fight? He got robbed against Kendall Grove. Then, he got his head knocked off by Jacare. Then, he tried out for TUF and made the show only to be told that he couldn't go on air because of his Strikeforce contract like a month before it was announced the promotion would cease to exist. He didn't have a fight lined up or any idea that he'd be going to the UFC when he got the call to fight Leben. He was out of training and working his regular job in North Carolina.

Yeah, how dare a guy a who'd been having a really shitty time lately and had seen his career stall celebrate after winning a fight that he had no time to train for and was essentially brought in to lose?

Goddamn, MMA fans keep getting stupider and stupider.

I don't remember it being the worst fight ever. I remeber Leben couldn't get up and struggled with the wrestling all fight. Considering Brunson took the fight on super short notice I would blame Leben for the lackluster fight. If he was able to stuff some take downs maybe it would have been a better fight.

Leben got beat standing as well. Not like it was some LnP exhibition like some people are saying....

This was a ring rusted Leben. The Leben that beat Aaron Simpson(a much better wrestler) and Terry Martin would have wen't to town on Brunson.

Maybe. We will never know. And that Leben was nowhere in sight, much like In Shape Shogun and Motivated BJ Penn....

Leben got beat standing as well. Not like it was some LnP exhibition like some people are saying....

People are making out like Brunson fought like some sort of abhorrent combination of Tyron Woodley and Kalib Starnes in there. The fact is that he advanced his position when he took Leben down, hit Leben with hard shots on the ground, had a nice sub attempt and hit Leben with hard shots when he was standing.

Brunson only had a few days to train and was brought in to lose. Leben had a full camp and is a much more experienced fighter. You want to blame somebody, point it in the right direction.

you forgot cocky. another boring jackson gameplan not to lose where the guy thinks he is amazing.

Are you retarded? Did you eat paint chips as a child? Brunson's UFC debut, on 8 days notice, and the guy's NOT supposed to be stoked that he won? And by the way, for the obviously uneducated fans like yourself, game plan had nothing to do with Brunson's performance. He gassed in the first round, either because of the short notice, or it being his UFC debut, or most likely both. How many more challenges does he have to overcome in ONE FIGHT before you give him a break?

I actually didn't watch this fight past the 1st round.

Chris He took the Fight on Short Notice and still had better cardio than you. Also Leben used the same Lay n Pray Gameplan on Jay Silva when his UFC career was in jeopardy.

What fight were you watching? I saw no ass beatings.
Agreed...didn't even see much of a 'fight' compared to most of Chris' other matches.
Brunson did what he had to do to win...first time in the octagon is always tough.

Like White said, he looked like a 14yr-old waiting for the school clock to strike 3pm so he could go home. It was sad to watch. It's not like he had to stand and bang with Leben.... but ay dios mio, there is middleground between that and doing what he did.

Exactly

The only extended time on the ground was in the 1st

Leben is a fan fav so people try to give him the benefit of the doubt. He lost this fight fair and square and looked bad while doing so.

Back