Choking someone out?

I say "choked out" when I submit/get submitted via choke. Different people will have different opinions on the terminology. It's just splitting hairs really.

This is such a stupid argument, I refuse to post in this threa... shit.

I use the term "tapped out" when talking to the non-Judo/BJJ/Subgrappling crowd. I'm not trying to impress people, I'm trying to recruit damnit! Don't want to scare people off before they get infected with the addiction.

to me the person was "choked out" if they are passed out. and "tapped to a choke" if they didn't go out.
that's just me. some people use "chokked out" to mean via tap, so we all have to clarify all of the time.

first off to handle one thing

Is this really an argument?

I say you argue about more important things like smooth or chunky peanut butter.

Chunky, definitely chunky and if you argue with me on this you are wrong.

Secondly,

Really I'm not concerned with the perceptions of other people who don't have some knowledge and interest in grappling, because really what good is an uneducated opinion except as a vote for president? When I talk about doing jits with ppl who have little clue what I'm talking about all I ever seem to say is either "no i don't I'm a badass and think I can kick your ass" or "well its about using leverage and body positioning to cause an opponent to submit by the use of joint locks and chokes". I have discussed ground aspects with boxers who think that they are unbeatable, and usually that ends with "hey you should fight MMA if you think you can do it, b/c I'm not interested in fighting really."

I have had decent theory conversations about fighting with people of different backgrounds, and in those cases I have used the term "choke out" to signal either being choked out of the contest or choking unconscious. The thing I think we need to be aware of is signaling what we mean when we say out. Most the time I only mean choking out of contest, unless someone refuses to tap then I mean choke out of consciousness. I think I take for granted that people will know what I mean, and for some reason I now think I should be more careful to explain myself.

Back