Economy China might collapse, and the global economy is going into major recession

If China tumbles so will the rest of the world

Their central bank is pumping money into the financial sector to keep it afloat, but they can't keep propping it up forever. This will have a huge impact on China, with ripple effects that will be felt around the world.

Note to the mods: this thread is about the economic impact, not the Coronavirus.

China Reneges on Commodity Deals, Worsens Global Trade Chaos

Stephen Stapczynski, Mark Burton and Jackie Davalos
BloombergFebruary 7, 2020, 4:53 AM UTC

(Bloomberg) --

Global commodity trade plunged deeper into chaos as Chinese companies started walking away from purchase contracts because of the spread of the deadly coronavirus.

A Chinese buyer of liquefied natural gas and a copper importer declared what’s known as force majeure -- meaning they are reneging on deals as the virus constrains their ability to take deliveries. The cancellations are among the first known cases of the legal clause being invoked in commodity contracts due to the epidemic.

“Everything that we were afraid of, from trade wars or global growth, doesn’t compare,” said Jan Stuart, global energy economist at Cornerstone Macro. “This virus is an entirely different risk, especially in commodities where China’s role dominates.”

China is the world’s biggest consumer of most raw materials, from energy products to industrial metals, and disruptions in its purchases create havoc across global supply chains. Now, while global markets bounce back from initial fears over the impact of the virus, the fallout in commodity trade is only worsening as Beijing keeps swathes of the country under lockdown and restricts travel.

In a dramatic and rare step, China National Offshore Oil Corp., the nation’s biggest LNG buyer, invoked force majeure and told some suppliers it won’t take delivery of cargoes because of constraints caused by the coronavirus. French oil and gas giant Total SA rejected the declaration.

Hours later, it emerged that Chinese copper smelter Guangxi Nanguo had also declared the same get-out clause, refusing to take delivery of raw materials.

Meanwhile, copper buyers are requesting Chilean miners postpone shipments because of port shutdowns while China’s biggest oil refiner, Sinopec Group, is likely to ask Saudi Arabia to reduce crude supplies next month. Soybeans from Brazil and the U.S. are being held up on arrival in eastern China and Indonesian palm oil shipments are also being delayed.

“We are truly concerned about the loss of buying power that has spread across every division of commodities,” said Pete Thomas, a senior vice president at Chicago-based broker Zaner Group. “The impact has been much larger than everyone even realizes it would be.”

For LNG, CNOOC’s force majeure hurts a market already buffeted by rising U.S. supplies and weak demand after a mild winter in Europe and Asia. Even before Chinese buyers walked away from supply contracts, spot prices fell to a record low, crippling the profitability of energy giants such as Royal Dutch Shell Plc and Exxon Mobil Corp.

CNOOC sent the force majeure notice to suppliers including Shell and Total, according to people familiar with the matter, who asked not to be identified because the matter is confidential. Shell declined to comment.

Total confirmed it received one force majeure notification, which it rejected after legal analysis, Philippe Sauquet, the company’s president for gas, renewables and power, said in a company presentation.

“Of course we have to be careful, if there is a real quarantine in all unloading ports in China, we have a real case for force majeure,” he said. “But for the time being, this is not the case. For me it is ordinary negotiation.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/chinese-gas-buyer-cnooc-declares-064044988.html

China told more than half the country and the heart of it's manufacturing to shut down after Chinese new years until February 10th.

This virus hasn't been contained in China.

How can they let people go back to work?

They can't.

This is just the beginning.

Discuss........

China will collapse eventually, if not from this, then their environmental damage or food shortages.

The western economics will adapt. The free market economy is a hell of a thing.

Ha!

This virus is more than likely going to sweep through the world.

This is coming home.

If we were really smart, we would stop trying to contain it, and just accept that 3% of the world population has to die.

The economic fallout will probably kill more.
LMFAO

Do you really believe this pile of crap you are writing?

I will bump this thread in a couple of months with all these stupid commentaries when coronavirus is a thing of the past.

You are fucking crazy

Imagine if we had to subsidize the building of a few entire cities of factories along the East coast and in the mid-west to start using our raw materials and make our wears again. What a disaster that would be. I mean, we could use that 2 trillion like Trump did to make weapons that cost even more if we ever use them, and don't really matter because the next great war would be nuclear anyway. My God if a couple million people were forced back into making the things we consume again what would become of us?? Other countries might even want to put that burden on us to make things for them. We've seen what has happened to the Chinese economy over the last 30 years.. That would be a disaster. We need those trillions for useless weapons.

China will collapse eventually, if not from this, then their environmental damage or food shortages.

The western economics will adapt. The free market economy is a hell of a thing.

<{nope}>

So our gas prices should plummet, or they have it rigged. Let’s keep an eye on that.

and when people said, take the numbers and multiply by 100, they might be right. China could be fudging by a huge degree. They aren’t setting up those brand new Hospitals in 10 days for nothing. Watching them do it on vidoe is nothing short of miraculous. And then sending people to fog the streets is so useless it’s desperate. The door to door checks and then seizure of people who fail the tests makes me think this is out of control.

EQIfewDX0AYS2OM
Holy shit, source?

My company has been getting the cold shoulder from a lot of companies because of China. I wonder what kind of effect this will have.

Jesus all of this just because some asshole made bat soup.

If China tumbles so will the rest of the world

Their central bank is pumping money into the financial sector to keep it afloat, but they can't keep propping it up forever. This will have a huge impact on China, with ripple effects that will be felt around the world.

The loss of dollar store toys and fake rolex watches alone will cost billions!

Ha!

This virus is more than likely going to sweep through the world.

This is coming home.

If we were really smart, we would stop trying to contain it, and just accept that 3% of the world population has to die.

The economic fallout will probably kill more.

It would help our SS from going negative but at the cost of Republican voters. Hmmmmm.

Explain to me how that works?

Like paint the picture for how China sends people back to work in the next 3 months without losing all attempted containment of the Virus?
Holy shit you said something relevant , short answer is they can’t and they won’t. This shit will kick them out of the game a year minimum. The world isn’t going to be stepping on each other’s toes to do business with China anymore after this. And we don’t even know the full extent of how far this will go. Now onto the results for trade agreements that remains to be seen as the use is doing very well right now, Canada not so much. Personally I’d like to go back to made in USA and Canada products and tell China to pound sand...

Holy shit you said something relevant , short answer is they can’t and they won’t. This shit will kick them out of the game a year minimum. The world isn’t going to be stepping on each other’s toes to do business with China anymore after this. And we don’t even know the full extent of how far this will go. Now onto the results for trade agreements that remains to be seen as the use is doing very well right now, Canada not so much. Personally I’d like to go back to made in USA and Canada products and tell China to pound sand...

...sometimes I get the feeling the left welcomes and longs for some sort of economic collapse (Bill Maher bless). I’d be down for Made in USA making a comeback. I already seek out and gladly pay more for USA/local products

I hope it crashes the housing market or at least jacks it to some extent. I got pre-approved for a good amount but I wouldn't dare lock myself into it. Here's to opportunity. Sucks that some have to get burnt but it's the way it is.

lolz @ this thread.

corona-chan already caused much of her economic impact on the markets, much of it's priced in already. i doubt we'll see a major collapse over this, since china's pumping their markets and they have a few more cards to play, if needed. additionally, the fed can still lower rates to pump the economy if it does dip.

it's a glorified flu. people will contract it... and a small % will die, the VAST majority will recover in ~1 week. the panic/etc made things worse for them. as usual.

buy puts on china/short china if you want. it'll probably pay off, but there's always the risk of china pumping and xi stealing your tendies.

edit: besides, swine flu (another corona) is back/still active in SE asia (china and taiwan, at the least) and is reportedly worse than 2019-nCoV. on a related note, $tsm looks pretty cheap.

Last edited:
lolz @ this thread.

corona-chan already caused much of her economic impact on the markets, much of it's priced in already. i doubt we'll see a major collapse over this, since china's pumping their markets and they have a few more cards to play, if needed. additionally, the fed can still lower rates to pump the economy if it does dip.

it's a glorified flu. people will contract it... and a small % will die, the VAST majority will recover in ~1 week. the panic/etc made things worse for them. as usual.

buy puts on china/short china if you want. it'll probably pay off, but there's always the risk of china pumping and xi stealing your tendies.

so China is going through all that expensive ass chaos for nothing? They just want to destroy their economy. And put tens of millions in lockdown and hundreds of millions in a larger quarantine.

you’re a genius. Get this man an advisory position to the major governments of the world.

so China is going through all that expensive ass chaos for nothing? They just want to destroy their economy. And put tens of millions in lockdown and hundreds of millions in a larger quarantine.

you’re a genius. Get this man an advisory position to the major governments of the world.

q7v6aM1.jpg

wtf are you talking about? try reading what i said instead of jumping to crazy.

lolz @ this thread.

edit: besides, swine flu (another corona) is back/still active in SE asia (china and taiwan, at the least) and is reportedly worse than 2019-nCoV. on a related note, $tsm looks pretty cheap.

you have zero clue on whats going on.

Back