Chin Up shoulder problem.help plz.

Tiger

Random Poster
@Green
Reaction score
While doing chin ups today i heard a crack from my right shoulder as i did one week ago when i did chin ups again
it hurt only a bit at first only to get worse in the process...
the cracks kept on until the end of the workout its like my tendons or whatever is inside was brushing against smth

if i do pull ups there is NO pain at all...only in the middle of a chin up do i hurt and feel the "cracking"

i do chin ups since i was in high school (and thats more than 8 years ago) and never had a similar problem,now i cant do more than 5 chin ups without having to stop...

a friend of mine said it could be tendonitis and i might need better warming up but as i said for 8 years i never had a problem and i didnt do anything different this time...

I really hate not being able to do chin ups cause its one of my favourites and also one of the best excercises there is...

Any ideas whats going on and how to fight it?I cant afford a doctor and leave the fact that all the doctors here are crap...So i turn to you guys...Thank you very much...

Edit:i didnt exactly hear a loud crack.more like felt it...

This might be too obvious, but how about just switching to pullups for now?

Many consider them the better exercise anyway and if they don't cause you any pain...

How wide is your grip?

thats pretty much the only option left to me but i can handle greater weight and more sets and reps with chin ups and i always had better gains(in everything) with them than pull ups...

If the pain continues i will switch to pull ups but i really want to know if anyone knows whats wrong or if anyone knows what to do?

thx man

How wide is your grip?

Last week was shoulder length and today i tried narrowing an inch but it still hurt the same way(maybe a tiny little less)...

is my grip wrong or smth?

I'm on lunch break right now so I don't have the time to look up everything I would like to. This what I would tell you to do to begin with:

1) Stop chinning for now.

2) Get to the bottom of your injury and rehabilitate it.

You might find some articles on t-nation helpful. Several articles on shoulder health and mobility--as well as rehabilitation--have been posted on that site throughout the years. Use the diagnostics in those articles to identify, as precisely as you can without a professional opinion, the source of your pain. Then you can begin stretching, icing, massaging, and exercising your shoulder back to health.

DO NOT just quit chinning and act like nothing's wrong. You're going to have to square with injuries sooner or later. Make it sooner. If nothing else, it gives you more recovery time.

thanks a lot hulkamania im a bit familiar with t-nation i will definitely look into it and stop chins for now,so far i have done only massaging and streching,i will try some icing and excercise along with the rehabilitaion...

really appreciate it...be well...

Here are the "Shoulder Saver" threads from t-nation:

Shoulder Savers #1
Shoulder Savers #2

As for personal advice, I would say that you invest in a tennis ball. You can use one just like you would a foam roller, but I think the ball is better for massaging the complex of tiny muscles that is your wounded shoulder.

You can also use your healthy shoulder as a sort of goal for your injured one. It gives you something of an example to follow. Many times when someone is getting over an injury, they develop alternate muscle recruitment patterns which work in the short term but are less-than-optimal in the long haul. I broke my leg back in 05, for instance, and I didn't realize how dramatically it had affected my gait until I began squatting. I could walk on it again, yeah, but I hadn't been careful throughout the healing process to make sure I restored my leg to it's previous flexibility and strength. I had just restored it to usability. Left to it's own devices, the body sometimes just sort of jury rigs itself and carries on. You have to be careful about that.

So, yeah, use your healthy shoulder as an example of good shoulder function. When your currently injured shoulder has the freedom of motion, the freedom from pain, and the muscle recruitment patterns of your healthy shoulder, you're ready to start chinning again.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I hope you're back to chinning, too, in very short order. Good luck.

Here are the "Shoulder Saver" threads from t-nation:

Shoulder Savers #1
Shoulder Savers #2

As for personal advice, I would say that you invest in a tennis ball. You can use one just like you would a foam roller, but I think the ball is better for massaging the complex of tiny muscles that is your wounded shoulder.

You can also use your healthy shoulder as a sort of goal for your injured one. It gives you something of an example to follow. Many times when someone is getting over an injury, they develop alternate muscle recruitment patterns which work in the short term but are less-than-optimal in the long haul. I broke my leg back in 05, for instance, and I didn't realize how dramatically it had affected my gait until I began squatting. I could walk on it again, yeah, but I hadn't been careful throughout the healing process to make sure I restored my leg to it's previous flexibility and strength. I had just restored it to usability. Left to it's own devices, the body sometimes just sort of jury rigs itself and carries on. You have to be careful about that.

So, yeah, use your healthy shoulder as an example of good shoulder function. When your currently injured shoulder has the freedom of motion, the freedom from pain, and the muscle recruitment patterns of your healthy shoulder, you're ready to start chinning again.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I hope you're back to chinning, too, in very short order. Good luck.

Excellent advice and post my friend,the good thing is i already have a tennis ball but never used it like this(im starting right now)
I cant express how thankful i am for everything and for the links ill make sure ill put them to good use...Have a nice day/week/month/year :icon_chee

If possible with your setup you could also try out a neutral grip - should be closer to chins, so you might like it more.

i will try the neutral grip i liked it the last time i did it.although im not so sure that it wont still hurt. thx ;)

Back