Chest Cracking (costochondritis??)

codemonkey76

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have had a cracking sternum for a few months now, minor pain feeling like it needs to crack and if i arch my shoulders back and stretch my arms back my sternum cracks, anyone else have this?

The pain is not that bad, it's just annoying

I am pretty sure it is a grappling related injury

Hey guys,

I have had a cracking sternum for a few months now, minor pain feeling like it needs to crack and if i arch my shoulders back and stretch my arms back my sternum cracks, anyone else have this?

I'm not sure what the name of it is but it is pretty common for weight lifters who bounce the weight of their chest when they bench and guys who do lots of weighted dips to mess up cartlige in their chest or mess up that zyphoid process bone. I once did something really, really stupid and got the same result. It cleared up after a couple months of NO training or exercise.

Rest, ice, anti-inflamatories is what everyone is going to say. I have heard of guys having that problem and it becoming chronic. I am pretty sure you can get cortizone shots in your chest but I would try everything else first. A chiropractor or good physical therapist might help with some exercises or adjustments.

k, thanks dude, i will chat to my doctor about it next time i am in.

This happens to me after I sit in certain positions for too long. (half sitting /half laying down i.e. like on a bean bag chair or husband pillow).

I have NO pain but a tightness in the chest and when I arch my shoulders back I get a loud pop in my sternum and the pressure is released.

Never thought much of it.

I have this after a performing a sloppy breakfall. I can press on my sternum to pop my back and the sternum clicks, too. Getting armbarred from mount sucks, too. When it first happened it hurt really badly, but the pain has gone. Only the click remains. I think I dislocated the top rib at the sternum to cause the injury.

Yeah I think rest, ice, heat, anti inflammatorys etc are the answer, but best to talk to a doctor like you said. good luck man

I had the same problem after being slammed on the ground in training. It never did realy hurt but the center of my chest popped almost daily for about 6 months. Then it went away after a while.

This has happened to me a few years ago when a heavier purple belt got knee on belly ... but during the scrambled it turned into knee on chest.

It took me roughly 9 to 12 months to fully heal.

This is a tie in, but is cracking backs, etc bad for you? I've heard it's bad, but other people have said that it does nothing.

i have an indent in my chest, kinda like matt hughes and when i stretch, my sternum cracks all the time.

i crack my back all the time for that matter, as well.

I remember when i once got punched in the chest VERY hard and it hurt for about 2 months, but that is nothing like yours so i shouldnt even have posted this

One of my favourite training partners got this (he lifts, so might have been from that), and he's been off for about six months now. Looks like Yahoo has a big group on the topic, here - might be some good advice in there..

Hey guys,

I have the exact same thing. I'm actually very glad someone else posted this.

I think it might have something to do with having heavy bodies ontop of you (ie. bottom of side-control, being under your wife, etc.)

I think it might have something to do with having heavy bodies ontop of you (ie. bottom of side-control, being under your wife, etc.)

lol @ your wife being a heavy body

but really...I have this too! It feels like its in my chest, but I always just assumed that it was my back because my chest can't crack right? I guess not.

It doesn't bother me really, just sometimes my chest feels a little tight then I do a little lean back, it cracks, and i'm good to go for the day.

I pop my sternum like that all the time, but don't have any pain.

Hey guys,

Same. I've had it for months. It gets better then I get squashed and it is back again.

I've had the same thing before. Isn't happening right now, but always coincided with stiff back muscles being pulled forward by an overly exerted chest. Try focusing more on lat exercises for a bit and see what happens.

I've had this for a while, but it's not chronic. I think it's just too much pressure on the chest, like bench press bounching as mention earlier. I think mine comes from front squatting.

I've had a popping sternum for years, but rarely with any pain. It also have it worse when my back is tight. Don't really know much about it other than it sounds amazing when it pops and people think my chest is imploding.

I have the same thing and I talked to my doc about it and he says the chest can pop just like knuckles he said the pain will go away. I also had a chest X-Ray as part of my physical and it came out ok so i figured he is right.

Back