Cheesiest song you ever heard

Everything was fine until this shit started happening:

hipsters-main.jpg.optimal.jpg

portrait-handsome-hipster-guitar-indoors-600w-1036963039.jpg
<{clintugh}>

Yeah, the radio has kinda always been garbage.

I see this logic trotted out in defense of modern music pretty often and it never rings true if what is meant by 'Radio' is Mainstream/Top 40. That's always been dominated by Pop and Adult Contemporary stuff. Schmaltz (cheese).

But Alternative, College, Dance, Metal, and "Urban" radio were teeming with great music that was flying underneath the Top 40/MTV radar from at least the 70s up until early 2000's.

Alternative/College: Early... U2, R.E.M, Pixies, Jane's Addiction, RHCP, Bjork...
Metal: Metallica, Iron Maiden, and basically all Ozzy besides 'Mama' i'm coming Home'...
Dance (genres): Italo-Disco, Freestyle, Electro, Hi-Nrg, House, Hip-House...
Early Grunge: Pre Nevermind and Ten, especially Sub-pop records stuff...
Most great Britpop and Trip Hop...
British rap... (i.e. The Streets, Dizzee Rascal, GLC).
Foreign Music: Period. All of it. So much great Spanish/Spanish Language, Italian, French music out there. German too. Too many to name (maybe i'll do that in another post, busy right now.)
And basically most Disco, early House/EDM. 90% of the great Hip-Hop before the mid-90s never reached the top 40, mainstream radio (think Wu-Tang Clan, early Nas, Slick Rick, Scarface etc, etc.)

And the aforementioned artists and genres are not even the tip of the iceberg. There's a ridiculous amount of great music that came out during the 'rock & roll' era (even before). I'm 40 years old and STILL discovering stuff from that period and before. What music today that's not 'mainstream' will people be listening too in 30 years plus?

Last edited:
Most rap songs by white folks are pretty cheesy

I see this logic trotted out in defense of modern music pretty often and it never rings true if what is meant by 'Radio' is Mainstream/Top 40. That's always been dominated by Pop and Adult Contemporary stuff. Schmaltz (cheese).

But Alternative, College, Dance, Metal, and "Urban" radio were teeming with great music that was flying underneath the Top 40/MTV radar from at least the 70s up until early 2000's.

Alternative/College: Early... U2, R.E.M, Pixies, Jane's Addiction, RHCP, Bjork...
Metal: Metallica, Iron Maiden, and basically all Ozzy besides 'Mama' i'm coming Home'...
Foreign Music: Period. All of it. So much great Spanish/Spanish Language, Italian, French music out there. German too. Too many to name (maybe i'll do that in another post, busy right now.)
And basically most Disco, early House/EDM. 90% of the great Hip-Hop before the mid-90s never reached the top 40, mainstream radio (think Wu-Tang Clan, early Nas, Slick Rick, Scarface etc, etc.)

And the aforementioned artists and genres are not even the tip of the iceberg. There's a ridiculous amount of great music that came out during the 'rock & roll' era (even before). I'm 40 years old and STILL discovering stuff from that period and before. What music today that's not 'mainstream' will people be listening too in 30 years plus?

Tons of good music now. You just have to look for it.

Blame the telecommunications act of 1996. Lifted restrictions so the big companies could buy up all the stations and make everything sound the same.

This. The past 10 years has been nothing but beta-male soy boy cuck music. It drives me insane and I can't listen to the radio anymore because it's either soy boy cuck music or some feminist singing loudly about her relationship
Go eat a Werther's Original and settle down grandpa.

Exactly right.
With minimal effort, I’m sure anyone can find something they like.

ROTFL. How old are you? 20+ years ago all you had to do was turn on the radio and you were bound to hear something you'd like within an hour. And i'm talking new music here, not the oldies.

I've tried to get into new music, metal, edm, rap, hipster shit... it's all shit. It's either derivative or completely lacking in craft. Meaning either the musicianship and production is canned garbage or the songwriting is daft chunks.

Songwriting and production have gone to shit over the last 2+ years. When the best songwriters come out of fucking Sweden, whose native language is (wait for it) Swedish, that's all you need to know about how shitty the level of songwriting is in the English speaking world. This isn't even debatable imo. as anyone who's older than 30 has recognized this trend.

Fact is: Napster and illegal file sharing neutered the music industry. Nobody with a modicum of songwriting talent pursues music nowadays... so what we're left with is posers like Kanye, Bruno Mars, Machine Gun Kelly, and on and on and on.

But yeah if we keep searching, with minimal effort, maybe we'll find some lame-o Metal record, EDM track, or mumble rap shit that's worthy of standing alongside the great stuff released in their respective genres 30 plus years ago.

today's video games are clearly better than the ones from yesteryear... that's about it. All other content has devolved.

ROTFL. How old are you? 20+ years ago all you had to do was turn on the radio and you were bound to hear something you'd like within an hour. And i'm talking new music here, not the oldies.

I've tried to get into new music, metal, edm, rap, hipster shit... it's all shit. It's either derivative or completely lacking in craft. Meaning either the musicianship and production is canned garbage or the songwriting is daft chunks.

Songwriting and production have gone to shit over the last 2+ years. When the best songwriters come out of fucking Sweden, whose native language is (wait for it) Swedish, that's all you need to know about how shitty the level of songwriting is in the English speaking world. This isn't even debatable imo. as anyone who's older than 30 has recognized this trend.

Fact is: Napster and illegal file sharing neutered the music industry. Nobody with a modicum of songwriting talent pursues music nowadays... so what we're left with is posers like Kanye, Bruno Mars, Machine Gun Kelly, and on and on and on.

But yeah if we keep searching, with minimal effort, maybe we'll find some lame-o Metal record, EDM track, or mumble rap shit that's worthy of standing alongside the great stuff released in their respective genres 30 plus years ago.

today's video games are clearly better than the ones from yesteryear... that's about it. All other content has devolved.
You’re missing out.
Before the rona, I was averaging a live show every two weeks.
Get a Spotify account, check out KEXP channel on YT, who knows, you may be surprised.
Also, I’m almost fifty, and I’ve been big music fan all of my life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back