Checking out new schools while wearing old patches?

I could just take off the patches, but I don't really want to do that until I decide to actually sign up for a different school.

Why do you need to find another school to take off your patches? Are you going to commute to your home state to train?

Asking in advance will show a lot of respect to the new club. But chances are nobody is gonna give a crap.

Guy from another gym came to where i train with his old pacthes but the instructor was cool about. He had no problem with it.

Not everyone has money to buy a new gi just because the pacthes may not show the correct affiliation.

I'm sure if you just tell the instructor this is my only gi, i don't mean to be disrespectful, he'd be cool.

I have a similar question

I'll be moving to Montreal in September. I currently train at a Renzo Gracie affiliate and will be training at a Gracie Barra school in Montreal. At our club we're required to have a patch on all our gis and so I have 4 Renzo patched gis right now. I'm in the process of getting a Gracie Barra gi but I can only afford one at the moment since I'm becoming a student again.

I know Renzo and GB are close but I wonder if it would allow me to wear my Renzo patches. Ideally I would own only GB stuff but that's not realistic at the moment.

We get visitors all the time with patches from other schools. No one gives a shit. My friend still wears Gi pants with the Gracie Academy logo. Why pay for a new pair of Gi pants when you already have a good pair to begin with. No one is offended b/c we have no rivalries with other schools. In fact, its encouraged to go visit other schools in order to broaden your knowledge and experience in BJJ. We also love it when we get visitors from other schools to share what they know. I only see a problem if a student starts talking smack or says something along the lines "oh, but my last school did it this way..." which would offend both the new instructor and students alike. Rip it off only if you new Instructor asks you to.

Back