Checking out new schools while wearing old patches?

DanimalJr

White Belt
Reaction score
So I'm going to be moving to another state in about two weeks and I need to find a school. Is it disrespectful to try out new schools while wearing a gi with my old school's patches on it?

I could just take off the patches, but I don't really want to do that until I decide to actually sign up for a different school.

i wouldnt.

just turn up with a plain gi, or ask to borrow one.

its just manners.

Just buy a Fuji Gi. It's cheap and its good.

Depends on the school.
We have people who train in gi's that have other schools patches come in all the time. Just ask before hand.

wouldn't visitors normally have another place's tags on them?

I think there are two schools of thought for that...

1) Wearing the old school's patches to a new school is disrespectful, when you leave one school and join another, you need to dedicate yourself to the new school and represent their patches accordingly.

2) Your gi patches are your BJJ heritage. When you leave a school, they have left a mark on you, so it is fitting that they leave a mark on your gi. Your old school and your new school have both affected your BJJ talents, so both should be recognized. Sort of like respecting your high school class ring the same as your college ring. One gym took you so far in your training, and the new school will take you further on your journey.

I for sure wouldn't cut my patches off just for a trial week at a new gym, just like I wouldn't sew on the NEW gym's patches just for a week trial.

New gyms respect other gyms (usually) enough to recognize their belt levels (i.e. a purple will stay a purple even if he moves), so in my opinion, they should respect the training and loyalty that a player has for their old gym.

Be loyal to your schools, but also regonize that if you have trained at multiple schools, they both deserve your loyalty. A gym is like a family. If I ever have to move and leave my gym, it will be important to me to keep my patches on my gi to represent my roots.

I think there are two schools of thought for that...

1) Wearing the old school's patches to a new school is disrespectful, when you leave one school and join another, you need to dedicate yourself to the new school and represent their patches accordingly.

2) Your gi patches are your BJJ heritage. When you leave a school, they have left a mark on you, so it is fitting that they leave a mark on your gi. Your old school and your new school have both affected your BJJ talents, so both should be recognized. Sort of like respecting your high school class ring the same as your college ring. One gym took you so far in your training, and the new school will take you further on your journey.

I for sure wouldn't cut my patches off just for a trial week at a new gym, just like I wouldn't sew on the NEW gym's patches just for a week trial.

New gyms respect other gyms (usually) enough to recognize their belt levels (i.e. a purple will stay a purple even if he moves), so in my opinion, they should respect the training and loyalty that a player has for their old gym.

Be loyal to your schools, but also regonize that if you have trained at multiple schools, they both deserve your loyalty. A gym is like a family. If I ever have to move and leave my gym, it will be important to me to keep my patches on my gi to represent my roots.

Makes sense. Some places just won't have other patches, I think you need to call and ask.

I wouldn't take off the patch until you settle on a school.

It's just a patch. You can keep it as a memento but I wouldn't wear it on your gi while training though. It's disrespectful.

You are just a visitor until you sign on the dotted line. I wouldn't take off any patches until then or told by the instructor.

I recently moved schools and I just turned my gi inside out until I bought a new one. It was no big deal.

99% of schools wont give a shit and most people are speaking hypothetically and are such pussies that they say what they think they should say to avoid any way of possibly stepping on anyones toes. Its a patch on a piece of sporting equipment, go find your new school.

99% of schools wont give a shit and most people are speaking hypothetically and are such pussies that they say what they think they should say to avoid any way of possibly stepping on anyones toes. Its a patch on a piece of sporting equipment, go find your new school.

Couldnt have said it better myself

Not necessarily true. I was asked to wear mine inside out.

Especially since it is another state, I doubt it matters. Now if you were just going across town, they would think your a spy or something...

Untill you sign up and become a regular at the new place , imo your identity is that guy from that other school, so i'd just leave the patches, thats who you are at the moment, a visitor.

I guess when you decide to stay there sign up and roll frequently you could decide to talk the old ones off or add new ones.

Nobody at my school would care if you showed up in your patches. That's who you are, after all.

Once you start training at the new school regularly, you should probably switch it up. But you'll know when that is.

Back