Cheap Thick Bars???

Flounder

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok. I'm getting ready to start some strength training. I've done some reading, and hear thick bars are the way to go to seriously develop strength and grip. The problem is that thick bars are outrageously expensive. Any one have any solutions for getting an inexpensive one?? Maybe a local machine shop or something?? Any ways to jury rig one??

Here's one of mine. I like to call it "Dumbell + 2 rolls of hockey tape".

thickbar_000.JPG

I made my thickbar by wrapping some old towels around the bar, then duct taping it up and sliding some PVC pipe over it. Takes less than 5 minutes to make and costs fuck all

I bought an inexpensive 2" thickbar from BruteStrength.com for $65 including shipping.

DieselWeasel said:
I bought an inexpensive 2" thickbar from BruteStrength.com for $65 including shipping.

Really?? Wow, that's great. I'll check it out.

foam insulation, over by the pvc pipe at lowes, home depot, comes with self adhesive, meant to go around a pipe, use duct tape too.

i add weights to my dick cause its like 5 inches in diamter, but serioulsy use a pipe and some tape, i would buy a real one though if you gonna use haevy weights, i wouldnt trust some shit rusted pipe for DL's or squats.

Did you just make fun of my rusted pipe? Works fine for me really (though the "pins" on the end where you load the weight have bent a bit as of late, so I'm working on a way to upgrade). Why you would want to squat with a thickbar I don't know (except maybe zerchers), and even still it's not like the weights are in a compromising position should the bar give out. I use mine for oly lifts and deadlifts and it works fine and I've had it up to around 300 lbs.

The only reason I could see someone using a thick bar for squats is for comfort reasons.

Sonny said:
The only reason I could see someone using a thick bar for squats is for comfort reasons.
pussies.

/\/\/\/ ahahah, what kind of bar are you supposed to use, mines not think, i can fit my hand around it ver easily

Urban said:

Agreed.

Sherddog said:
/\/\/\/ ahahah, what kind of bar are you supposed to use, mines not think, i can fit my hand around it ver easily
What the hell are you going on about now???

Back