cheap bike

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
id like to try out cycling for weight loss on days i dont feel like running or walking since i live right next to a state park with amazing trains and super steep hills i hate bikes that have the seat level with the steering wheel cause i have to bend over forward and its very hard and uncomfortable for me are there any cheap cycles that are like normal bikes we rode as a kid idk if i can get use to the normal cycles i see guys use im trying to find a good one for under a hundred if possible

If you eventually want to buy a cycle, you can look into investing in Triathlon bars to lift the steering unit. For old school bikes, try garage sales or online auctions.

would walmart be the best cheapest way to go? i cant go over a hundred

get a city bike or a hybrid bike. you have a more upright riding position. maybe your bike is too big and you're too stretched out? getting a bike that fits is really important..

but...if you want a real workout, get a road bike. for $100, you're not really going to get a decent bike...which will probably make you hate cycling.

Unless you live in a city with a community biking project, in which case you can volunteer and help fix kids bikes in order to be able to get parts on the cheap and build that mofo.

For comfort and an upright position you want something like this

81Pd6mApBJL._SX450_.jpg

It can became a live long partner and be very useful as a means of transport as well as joy rides for weight loss. And if you get more into cycling you can always bike a more sportive bike and still use this as a city bike.

Fedorgams, about that pain in the as... well, its complicated. The most important thing is bike fit and positioning: seat height and seat angle (looking up for upright positions, looking doing for faster ones). Then the saddle does need to be right for your as... a local shop can help. If you'va tried everything, try leather saddles: they ar harsh at the begennin but the leather adapts to you ass and long distance ccling swear by them. Me too.

And some people swaer by this no-nose saddles, haven't tried them personally.

no-nose+1.jpg

Almost forgot, a good pair of cycling shorts that fits you well is mandatory.

i wana have it as an extra form of cardio and for cutting weight my last week before a fight so its easy on the joints i dont see how people can be in that cycle position for more than 5 minutes someone told me to ride a cycle bike to a store once i had to walk the damn thing lol i couldnt hold myself up and balance i felt once i got on it and tried to stop id fall off and bust my ass

A 100 dollar bike is probably going to puss you off more than anything else. Check out bikes direct and get a Windsor for a few hundred more and at least you'll have something that works rather than a huffy. In fact, I'm not sure huffy is even around anymore, I've seen some full suspension bikes at Walmart and they are absolutely terrible.

You might look into hybrid bikes rather than city bikes.

You're likely going to find the best value for your dollar in a used bike, though you may have to search harder. A quality, 26" mountain bike can be had for a very good price in hardtail form, particularly something from the 90-00' range. An elevated short stem and riser bars can be purchased pretty cheap and will give you the more upright riding position you're looking for. I'm sure you could swing them new for $30-40 from Amazon. Couple that with something like a Planet Bike ARS seat and you'll have a nice ride for fairly cheap.

I built a similar ride for myself this year from a 99' Cannondale frame. I spent more than you are looking to spend, but I also purchased a lot more parts new for my build. I have put hundreds of miles on it this year and it's been rock solid. Very simple, quality parts, and little to go wrong. Good exercise equipment doesn't have to cost a fortune.

ive looked around on craigslist most bikes are just as expensive as brand new it seems ill look around i wana try out a few first to see what id want since idk anything about bikes other than when i rode them as a kid

Bikesdirect.com he some good stuff in the 300 dollar range but getting something for 100 bucks that is decent is going to be tough.

have u guys heard of pedal karts?there like go karts but you pedal them they make them for adults looks like would be great exercise i cant seem to find out how fast they typically go i might try to invest into one looks really fun

I had a professor in college who had thing called a "Rhodes car" or someone like that. Was basically a 4 seater bicycle, it was pretty cool.

Thing about bikes, you are going to get what you pay for, new or used. A walmart bike is a piece of shit that will crap out real quick on you. I'd recommend spending 3-400 bucks on a hybrid, if you take care of it after a few years you can sell it for 200 if you want. Same net cost as the walmart bike, way more enjoyable riding a quality machine.

Sounds like you are looking for a stripped down hybrid/commuter/fitness bike. Check out Trek FX series, you'd probably want an FX 7.1 or FX 7.2. Great entry level bikes. With a quality hybrid like that, you can go fast on the road, go through patches of gravel if you need to or hop a curb without worrying about bending a rim, and you don't have to ride in that bent over road bike stance.

Asset_338247

Back