Chasing and striking

Higus

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Newbie here: I'm struggling with people who are moving straight back after an exchange. Our coach always tells us not to run straight back, and I can see why; you look completely off balance and can't attack while running away. When I spar, especially with other new guys, I see a lot of them move backwards and look very vulnerable. The problem is that I don't know how to chase them down and keep a solid footing to throw a strike at the same time. I end up doing the Forrest Griffin 1-2-1 charge, and I feel like I'm even more open and off balance than the guy I'm chasing. Any tips?

Just be patient and remember your footwork. The biggest problem with moving straight back isn't so much a balance issue, it's because the angles stay the same; you're still in front of your opponent, and the attacker just needs to adjust the distance to capitalize on the mistake. As for you taking advantage of that mistake, it all depends on how advanced your footwork is, have you already learned how to spring off of your support foot to close the distance, or are you still at the step-and-drag phase?

And you should be able to move faster forward than they are moving backwards. Work on your foot work....

Newbie here: I'm struggling with people who are moving straight back after an exchange. Our coach always tells us not to run straight back, and I can see why; you look completely off balance and can't attack while running away. When I spar, especially with other new guys, I see a lot of them move backwards and look very vulnerable. The problem is that I don't know how to chase them down and keep a solid footing to throw a strike at the same time. I end up doing the Forrest Griffin 1-2-1 charge, and I feel like I'm even more open and off balance than the guy I'm chasing. Any tips?

you're thinking wrong. why do u want to 'chase' them ?
What you should be doing is just follow them as they go back. Then before they set themselves , you unload again or u just follow them and now they're on the ropes.
Do u remember what happened to FG when he did that AS ?
If u run foward n the guy stops-sets-strikes , your foward motion multiplies that force.
If u do end up chasing , its better to throw a low kick (preferably right leg).

As for you taking advantage of that mistake, it all depends on how advanced your footwork is, have you already learned how to spring off of your support foot to close the distance, or are you still at the step-and-drag phase?

I'm still step and drag. I could lie and say I'm "stalking", but the truth is I probably forget that I even have feet in the middle of a spar

Cut off the ring, put their back to the ropes / cage / wall and take it from there.

Also timing, guys that back up are often very easy to catch with kicks, Use your hands to get them backing up, step in deep and kick out the legs.

There are allot of answers depending on the situation, but the most basic way and one of the most effective is just to follow them back by jabbing forward, double, triple, etc.... follow them with the jab and use that as your distance guage. If there going back off balance throwing a jab at them will keep them off balance and slow them down moving back. Once you get the jab on them (keeping your feet under you and balanced), then let your hands go.

Are you in a ring? If so, try using a lateral step, pivot, or circle step to cut em off and force them back into a confined space. I.E: pivot/circle/step laterally and get your jab on them till you find your range.

Truth is, if there just back pedaling and dont have their feet under them..... you absolutely can crash in or charge in, just get your feet there first..... Get body on them as their backpedaling, soon as you body up or crash into them let your hands go as their falling out off balance. Watch some tape of Marvin Hagler, he was genius doing this.

Start utilizing feints and lateral motion. If you feint and they move back take small steps to get into position and stalk them down. I say small steps because big steps= big risk. It's easier for them to turn you or make you miss when you start stepping in and chasing because your momentum is such that it is easier to read and take advantage of if you miss.

Apply constant rhythmic pressure with your feet and keep your double jab pumping like a piston. You can jab at his hands to keep them busy so as to set up for a powershot and also to occupy his punches and stilt his range.

Feint with your whole body, feint a step forward to see if he runs straight back or if he stays on guard then adjust to him. Feint with your jab to the body or the head to assess his reaction and if his reaction is to go straight back let him run into the ropes and start picking your shots.

i try not to move back. rather if anything stand your ground and cover up and move sideways

i have always had trouble with opponents who do not move are who are not fased by anything you throw, im sure you know how its disapoiting if your ever going like 90% or more on someone. and you are trying to win but they very easily pull a anderosn silva or machida and just block all your moves, and step away and hit you back

or i will face people who i will hit them, but they will counter my next move and get me good.

or i will not attack and let them come to me, and while i am countering, if they are better than me. its like they know im about to counter switch things up's move away and wait till i come forward

all in all the stand up world of muay thai and mma is very hard

what exactly are you doing? boxing? mma? kickboxing? as long as you're allowed to kick throw some roundhouses in to his legs. while walking backwards your opponent can't really use his shins to block, and your roundhouses can reach him easily because they're longer than punches.

do you get to work on mitts much? throw 1-2s while the guy holding the mitts is backing up and trying to get away from you. Or shadowbox, throw a combo and take a couple steps forward, throw another combo then take a couple more steps. Or you can just do jab, step, jab, step, etc. Just work on it and you'll eventually get better.

try using your feints and your double jab, and you could also try stepping your rear foot forward every now and then thus giving your self more angles and forcing your opponent to adjust, also try using head movement and maybe work a double slip to a lead hook i find that one works when coming in on an opponent as long as you dont use it too much.

In short, mix it up come in different ways so your opponent cant find a pattern, and your not telegraphing your attacks.

Also if your in muay thai, try leading with a cross, then stepping your rear leg forward, then throw outside leg kick, if he tries to move back step your rear leg forward again and fire another one back at him.

Be careful chasing guys after they throw a punch.

They may throw a punch and appear to move straight back
but what they have actually done is move back and take their head off centre,
setting you up for a nasty counter punch when you inevitably take the bait.

If I'm "chasing" someone, I'll use a shit load of jabs till I'm in range to throw something hard. That's one strategy anyway.

Sometimes I'll just stalk slowly coming forward with 2-3 punch combo's as I need to, cutting off their lateral escapes. I like subtlety.

Back