Hardest punch to learn

TheAlliance

Seeker of War
@Green
Reaction score
What is the hardest punch to learn? When I mean learn, I mean you can use it during sparring and looks legit.

I remember being confused with the hook punch and my first lesson the coach taught it to me real quick. I started asking him about the “walking backwards hook shot” kindve similar to Anderson Silva going backwards and dropping Forrest griffin (was a straight shot though) and coach was confused why I would be going backwards LoL

but yah back to topic, what do you think is the hardest punch to learn? Uppercut? Hook? Jab? Power punch? Super man punch?

Any hook punch .

You can learn to throw any punch easy but throwing a punch isn’t the same as throwing it correctly ( there is no actual 100 % to throw any punch right every one will have different approaches) but you need to throw punches at angles you least likely will get hit and or be defensive minded as well when striking .

Hook punches require more torque and use of more body motion ,you are also open more then straight punches off counters.

The most difficult lone punch is probably the left uppercut and it leaves you open more , but those are punches more to be used at certain positions you won’t be in position as much and any legit fighter won’t keep giving you opportunities with it unless he’s inviting a close quarters fight .

drop back straight right (or left depending)

you basically have to accumulate power by falling back on your right foot, slip at the same time and then successfully measure distance and timing.

the set up also has to be too precise

they all take a lot of work but the ironic thing is, the hook is the hardest to learn, at least to where it's any good. it's natural to throw wild punches but I haven't seen beginners ever have any power on it.

IMHO counter to straight right. It is very devastating stuff and really difficult to master if opponent is sneaky.
Then there are uppercuts and half uppercuts .....these are devastating punches and isn't easy to sneak in and deliver with full power ....

Counters vs half hooks...

Jab ofc too isn't easy to learn while not so difficult than these mentioned.

It is difficult also to land properly body punches like liver and solar plexus punches....while if watching it looks easy to do and in reality they are very effective. IF happens to land properly, it isn't easy even if you are a pro.

Straight right IMO due to a small minority of boxers throwing it properly. Jabs and hooks aren't as difficult biomechanically and good jabbers and left hookers are easy to find in boxing history to learn from them.

As an orthodox fighter I don't think I ever got a good right hook. My left side was always stronger anyway.
Same for me. Got comfortable with all other punches but my right hook always was and I expect will be shit. Its ok on a stationary target but a moving one forget it. For me definitely the hardest punch.

Same for me. Got comfortable with all other punches but my right hook always was and I expect will be shit. Its ok on a stationary target but a moving one forget it. For me definitely the hardest punch.
It's not the hardest punch, it's the most useless punch. There's a big difference.

99% of the time, if you feel like throwing a rear hook, a cross or an uppercut would do the same job, only better.

It's not the hardest punch, it's the most useless punch. There's a big difference.
You have a point. Still its also the punch I suck the most at and as a tool for a close up body punch I think it has its value. .

As an orthodox fighter I don't think I ever got a good right hook. My left side was always stronger anyway.

I’ve been doing a lot of bag work southpaw this last 6 months due to a long standing injury to my left shoulder. I can’t get anywhere near the same power in my hooks and jab with my right. My left cross is fuckin awful and still feels weird throwing it. It’s all so do with my feet, mostly my back foot

I’ve been doing a lot of bag work southpaw this last 6 months due to a long standing injury to my left shoulder. I can’t get anywhere near the same power in my hooks and jab with my right. My left cross is fuckin awful and still feels weird throwing it. It’s all so do with my feet, mostly my back foot
Switching is difficult. Standing southpaw feels weird to me as well.

It's like trying to write with your other hand. You put your body in an unnatural position to try and force your left wrist to do something, when really if you think about it when writing with your dominant hand you are totally relaxed all over. And this is similar when in the opposing stance, you can feel a lot of tension in my experience.

To land reliably? The liver hook imo. You need to close in, weight transfer and land it lower than your face so you are vulnerable if your timing and read are wrong.
I’m an exception to the rule to the point it will sound like a troll job.
It’s the only punch I always land, like 100% connect ratio on everybody. For some reason I can naturally and perfectly feint a left hook to the head that drops half way to the body.

I barely ever connect with my hands to the point that it’s embarrassing except for that one specific feint to punch I mentioned above. I can spam that shit all night and still land clean af.

Feet are a different story. My question mark kicks, switch knees, and jumping teeps are a thing of beauty.

I’m an exception to the rule to the point it will sound like a troll job.
It’s the only punch I always land, like 100% connect ratio on everybody. For some reason I can naturally and perfectly feint a left hook to the head that drops half way to the body.

I barely ever connect with my hands to the point that it’s embarrassing except for that one specific feint to punch I mentioned above. I can spam that shit all night and still land clean af.

Feet are a different story. My question mark kicks, switch knees, and jumping teeps are a thing of beauty.

You sound ready for a Glory title, what's your name?

Back