• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News *** Charles Oliveira vs. Islam Makhachev MEGA THREAD PART II (OFFICIAL FOR UFC 280, 10/22) ***

Who Wins?

• Total voters
You will never get agreement on anything in this world....

So....

<{JustBleed}>

And dumpster this thread...

<Fedor23>

Reactions: d2s
THIS is the most exciting fight to make at this moment in the LW division of MMA
anybody who disagrees is coping or trying to protect one of the two fighters

Islam was never actually able to fight a top 5 LW prior to the title shot because of this ducking and rank squatting

The LW division is currently unable to really move forward at the moment due to those 3 ranked squatters (Justin, Dustin & Michael)

At least Beneil is actually willing to defend his ranking against Gamrot but those other 3 are just stalling the division by not fighting other fighters in the top 10 but instead just fighting each other

The UFC in the end just had to give Islam the title shot because of the ducking and rank squatting

Where are you guys know?
How come there's so much excitement for this fight?
Would you guys want to cancel that fight and do Islam vs Dariush instead?
In a perfect world he would have. And they tried, with Dariush.

But in this imperfect world, he both should have AND is the best one for the title shot. Both are true. Sometimes things like this happen. Sometimes life is not made up of binary choices.

So I agree with those who point it out, and disagree with those who are so stodgy about it that they let it override every other thought they have had about the LW division in the last 3 months.

Looking forward to this fight.

I agree they should let Islam warm up by annihilating Conor, but that would be too easy to even call a warm up.

10 in a row is an auto shot. On team Charles for this one, but I've never once said Islam does not deserve the shot.

Ideally everyone should prove their way up the rankings on their way to a TS, including Islam. That's 100% not on the fighter to ensure that happens. It's on Maynard, Shelby, Campbell to see that it happens.

10 in a row is an auto shot. On team Charles for this one, but I've never once said Islam does not deserve the shot.

Ideally everyone should prove their way up the rankings on their way to a TS, including Islam. That's 100% not on the fighter to ensure that happens. It's on Maynard, Shelby, Campbell to see that it happens.
And, they tried. https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id...-islam-makhachev-due-ankle-injury-sources-say.

These decisions are not made in a vacuum.

Last edited:
I felt the complete opposite, it's not Islam's fault he was largely avoided and that the few big fights he got fell through. That said Gaethje and Poirier were coming off recent title fight losses and Chandler never really earned a UFC title shot but I get it, former Bellator champ and gets paid a lot, is good ol American boy so very marketable.

That said the vacant LW title should have been Charles Oliveira vs Islam Makhachev all along. They were the two best in the division and everyone knew it, they earned their title shots and were on the biggest win streaks. Islam was the heir to Khabibs throne and the odds favorite vs an entire LW division that was afraid of him. Oliveira was writing one of the best Cinderella stories in MMA history before our eyes too. It was always supposed to be Islam vs Charles.

Where are you guys know?
How come there's so much excitement for this fight?
Would you guys want to cancel that fight and do Islam vs Dariush instead?

Charles the Champion or Khabib or both have finished the top guys that aren't named Islam... So this fight is a good one in my opinion.

New guys to challenge for the belt will also be revealed tomorrow.

For all the vocal and confident Oliveira backers: Don’t hide after he loses. Take your L, don’t stop posting after we quote your previous posts.

Everybody is wrong at some point, just make sure you’re still posting here after the loss, please:)

Everyone is pissed at the odds but won't put down a bet slip lmao. Enough complaining, sometimes people can analyze beyond stats.

Back