• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Charles Oliveira explaining 50K bonus

Think hes exaggerating tbh, Brazil isnt place where you wanna be showing off your money. Also US Dollars goes much farther in Brazil because stuff/housinh is cheaper
I'll never forget the one Brazilian fighter who begged for the 50k bonus to buy A HOUSE. So Charles should have 9 house worth of money.

Anyone still think that Helwani deserves $500,000 for talking about "tough" stuff?

THIS^^^ I receive quarterly bonuses and I have to take a benzo after I look at the amount of tax that's taken out of both my standard and bonus check combined. It's infuriating.
This is a myth... witholding is higher because bonuses will often put you in a higher tax bracket, but you should get this back at your tax return

Proving yourself to be a moron again. Did you even read the post? He's getting fucked on taxes, fees, and cuts to his team. How is that the UFC's fault?

Meanwhile Bellator prelim fighters are making $1K/$1K and you don't say a fucking word about that. And don't respond back with "BuT spOnSorShips!" GTFO of here, those prelim fighters don't make shit in sponsorship money

""BuT spOnSorShips!" GTFO of here, those prelim fighters don't make shit in sponsorship money"

You should check out Myles Jury video on sponsors in Bellator..
He made 8k for his main event fight vs Ben Henderson from sponsors.

An awful lot of people on here seem to have no experience with paying taxes in general. Or expenses for that matter. They see the amount fighters reportedly make and think that's all theirs. Gross and net income seems like a foreign concept.

Probably stupid kids or just people that don't care about their finances.

When I was growing up I thought 100k in salary was an unimaginable amount of money, now I am getting there I realized you don't have much left after taxes, mortgage, other expenses.

For UFC fighters it's even worse because their salary is taxed, and gyms and managers take a big chunk. On top of all that their earning potential could end with an injury. Reported gross income is so misleading.

Did people actually think when there is a 50k bonus that they really got to keep 50k?
<36>

This is a myth... witholding is higher because bonuses will often put you in a higher tax bracket, but you should get this back at your tax return
Lol, "myth", huh? I'm well aware of which tax bracket I'm in, what I receive back in taxes and how much is deducted from my income each year which you obviously don't. But I'll make sure to let the IRS know that I heard that what's been deducted from my income for the last 13 years is a "myth" and should be refunded immediately. [Fingers crossed]

Did people actually think when there is a 50k bonus that they really got to keep 50k?
<36>
I thought Dana just throws them 50k cash in the locker room

Attachments

• CBD5261D-6938-4699-A73F-74AFC29A73EE.jpeg
    CBD5261D-6938-4699-A73F-74AFC29A73EE.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 2
The UFC champion is complaining on social media he doesn't make enough money because he has to buy supplements

Olivera can fuck right off. I thought he was way above this.

Think hes exaggerating tbh, Brazil isnt place where you wanna be showing off your money. Also US Dollars goes much farther in Brazil because stuff/housinh is cheaper
Housing is anything but cheap in brazil, its the most expensive developing country there is ( brics) he's not exagerating a bit

This. Brazil's taxes are wild but his team is taking a huge amount. A lot of coaches do flat fees not percentages.
I agree 30% to his team is a huge amount. Is that some "straight off the top 30% payment"?? Like it just gets transferred to his team? So 15,000USD of any 50k bonus automatically goes to his team?
and then he has State income tax from USA, ok.
And then he has to pay tax AGAIN in Brazil? Don't know anything about Brazilian personal taxation.

but ...yeah only netting 12,000 to 15,000dollars from a 50,000dollar bonus seems really punitive. And he came from Dirt poor, and is incredibly humble so I'd like to see him really make some decent money.

I think his purse incl win bonus was about 600,000 I recall seeing around that number. Anyone know the purse+bonus??

nah

• Cost of living in Brazil is cheaper than in 76% of countries in Latin America(13 out of 17)
  • Cost of living in Brazil is cheaper than in 84% of countries in the World (65 out of 77)
  • https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/country/brazil
  • Also dont let those big numbers on the site fool you, one real(brazilian dollar) is equal to 20 cents american money. So yeah…..

There are extreme price fluctuations within 3rd world countries. I've been all throughout Colombia. In the smaller cities, houses are like 20K -50K USD. In Bogota, Houses are like a million USD. Most of the wealth is concentrated in specific areas. I'm guessing Charles lives in the nice part of the city.

Does he live in Rio?
I doubt there is any big country's capital left where living is cheap.
He lives in Guarujá, which is a beach near São Paulo, housing there is fairly cheap compared to the US, 400k gets you a very nice apartment near the beach. Rio isn't Brazil's capital by the way.

Let me tell you a story: I have a cousin that lives in Brazil. He asked me to buy him a laptop and send him via mail.
I asked him if it was not dangerous (as many parcels end up "missing" in Brazil).
He told me that even if it does not arrive and try a second time, he would have saved a lot of money.
Only on the third time he would break even, and then ask me to wait until I knew someone who was going to Brazil to take it with them...

That should give you an idea of how much more expensive the cost of life are in Brazil (for Brazilians).
This only applies to tech products, mainly imported ones, since tax is insanely high on those items. Housing, food and basically everything else is very cheap US dollar wise.

Back