Changing my workout

samurai155

White Belt
Reaction score
Ive been lurking around here gleaning information for the past few weeks or so and Ive realized that Im doing everything wrong. First, Im 31 yoa, 5'6" 200 lbs. Most of its muscle but I have a little beer gut... Currently Im not involved in any type of martial art, but in the past Ive wrestled, played Judo, and boxed. For the past month or so Ive been doing a complete full body workout three times a week and have been doing cardio of various types between four and five times a week. Since Im a police officer, I really need to be strong and have a good cardio base. My main goals are to be leaner and be healthy. Lately Ive been thinking that my full body workouts are leading to overtraining.. Ive been having trouble sleeping and feel achy all over. So Im going to drop that and begin a routine based on what Ive read on this forum. I was going to try a Pull, Push, Squat three day a week style routine based on what Ive seen by Carnal and Urban and go as heavy as I can. Do you guys think cardio after these workouts would be too much? Im talking like a two mile run on working days and maybe some longer runs and bike rides on the off days. I know you guys are big fans of HIIT and sprints but my doctors have told me to keep the heart rate up constantly for 30 mins plus... Any advice you guys could give me regarding structuring cardio and lifting would be greatly appreciated. I also want to say that I greatly enjoy this forum and have learned much from all of you. Thank you all.

Ive been lurking around here gleaning information for the past few weeks or so and Ive realized that Im doing everything wrong. First, Im 31 yoa, 5'6" 200 lbs. Most of its muscle but I have a little beer gut... Currently Im not involved in any type of martial art, but in the past Ive wrestled, played Judo, and boxed. For the past month or so Ive been doing a complete full body workout three times a week and have been doing cardio of various types between four and five times a week. Since Im a police officer, I really need to be strong and have a good cardio base. My main goals are to be leaner and be healthy. Lately Ive been thinking that my full body workouts are leading to overtraining..
WRITE OUT WHAT YOU WERE DOING??

Ive been having trouble sleeping and feel achy all over. So Im going to drop that and begin a routine based on what Ive read on this forum. I was going to try a Pull, Push, Squat three day a week style routine based on what Ive seen by Carnal and Urban and go as heavy as I can. YES, BUT WITH GOOD FORM AND NOT GOING TO FAILURE

Do you guys think cardio after these workouts would be too much? DEPENDS ON WHAT TIME FRAME YOU HAVE TO SPARE...ITS FINE..IF YOU CAN DO IT SOMETIME DURING THE DAY, THATS SEPERATE FROM YOUR WORKOUT, THE BETTER.

Im talking like a two mile run on working days and maybe some longer runs and bike rides on the off days. I know you guys are big fans of HIIT and sprints
but my doctors have told me to keep the heart rate up constantly for 30 mins plus..
DOCTORS DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT EXERCISE..

. Any advice you guys could give me regarding structuring cardio and lifting would be greatly appreciated. I also want to say that I greatly enjoy this forum and have learned much from all of you. Thank

The workout I had been doing is as follows:
Monday-Wednesday-Friday
Leg Press 4x4-6
Bench Press 4x4-6
Weighted Pullups 4x4-6
Military Press 4x4-6
Curls or narrow grip chins 4-4x6
Weighted Dips 4-4x6
Rope Crunches 4x4-6
After the weight workout I would either go home or run 2 miles
Tuesdays and Thursdays:
4-6 mile run
Saturday:
4 mile run, If I didnt do cardio on the lifting days or off
Sunday:
Off
I stick to those exercises trying to use as much weight for the listed reps. It has been giving me good results/gains thus far. I feel strong and look more muscular. However, hitting everything three times per week, as far as all of you say, is too much. After reading about all of you, I realize leg press is BS... I used to squat and deadlift a lot (S-505 DL-405) however, my lower back hurts me these days... I really want to get back into those lifts and strenghten my lower back. I am very familiar with lifting and own a copy of Dinosaur Training. Also I like Matt Wiggins website. Im sorry I didnt get more specific in my original post. Im not training for a fight or anything, I just need to be ready in case I have to subdue a combative arrestee... I have also read the stickies. Maybe my routine isnt too much? Any advice or criticism from you folks again is appreciated. Thank you

I have no idea Carnal, but its true... Probably because I spent more time on it. I was always a little shy of deadlifts, because I had heard they were terrible for you from all the pumpers at my first gym. For some reason I can only do Sumo Deadlifts... Maybe its because I have crappy flexibility in my hamstrings, or the fact that Im built kind of weird! Im short and stocky, almost like Barney Rubble. Anyway, I want to start incorporating deadlifts in my workout because years of sitting in a police car with a gun belt around my waist will start to wear my lower back away. Do you guys think hitting these lifts once a week is enough? Thanks for your responses

Duncon, you are so right when you say Doctors don't know anything about exercise. I know in my experience this has been true. My doctor was asking me what lifts I did, first he had no idea what a deadlift was and then when i showed him he tried to show me a "safer" way to do them. I know his intentions were good but he should stick to diagnosing and helping cure illness and let someone with atleast some experience tell me about exercising. Sorry for the rant.

Back