Opinion Change My Opinion: Most of our arguements are manufactured by computers picking up trending topics

Jack Stevonovich

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I am of the belief that most of the things people argue about these days, as far as partisan politics are concerned, are the result of computers picking up on trending topics on the internet where advertising and PR companies pander to the economy of clicks and some sort of fucked up feedback loop where people respond to it producing a new trending point to create controversial media.

Last edited:
That was only one sentence....without any comma.

Impressed.

I am of the belief that most of the things people argue about these days, as far as partisan politics are concerned, are the result of computers picking up on trending topics on the internet where advertising and PR companies pandering to the economy of clicks and some sort of fucked up feedback loop where people respond to it producing a new trending point to create controversial media.
This has more truth to it than most people will admit, I think.

As an aside:
The Reagan FCC eliminating the "fairness doctrine" set the conditions for it all to go to hell. Then the proliferation of TV "news outlets" really started the problem, as they were forced to pander to their viewers as consumers to compete for ratings.Now, just like with gerrymandering, modern information analytics has exacerbated the problem many times over.

To quote a phrase from the old "fairness doctrine" debates that is just as true and unpopular now as it was then:

"What the public is interested in is not always in the public's interest."

Last edited:
100%

I get weirded-out when I see people passionately debating these random, hot-button issues from random news sites. Just look at any Facebook comment section and it's a circus.

Not me at least.

I've been railing against the MIC, lobbying and campaign finance, banksters, and foreign influence for many years now.

Glad some of you are starting to realize it.

You might be on to something. Even people who don't follow the "trending" stuff will be dragged into it by others who do and talk about it.

"Most" is not right. Stuff like the Smollet situation and random crimes threads seem pretty manufactured and designed to stir up arguments.

Did I need any?

While it is my belief that prescriptive grammar can be very silly and that persons that correct punctuation are generally dildos it is advisable that you at the very least use commas and get used to using commas to conform your writing to the conversational cadence in your head because if you don't not only will your writing be harder to read but it will also make less of a connection with your reader so especially when you are expressing your opinion as opposed to a fact and meaning to be persuasive to your reader that consideration should be paramount given that if your reader feels like simply viewing your writing is a chore they are less likely to be open to its contents.

I've said all along, this outrage shit is coming for everyone. It has infected absolutely everything. You cant even turn to pro wrestling to escape it.

what do you mean?

It's not more than half of the arguments that are related to trending topics being picked up. But when you see people expressing outrage about stories about someone we've never heard of committing a crime (example) or something, that's something that Breitbart or some other disreputable outlet picked up specifically to get their viewers worked up.

It's not just the internet, it's the permissions you give aps on your cell phone and the mic clearly listening to you as well

At a certain pt when all these tech pseudo trusts continue to reap profits and pay little to no taxes you have to ask yourself what is the US government actually getting out of that to allow it (besides Campaign funding).......that answer is shared private personal data

It's not more than half of the arguments that are related to trending topics being picked up. But when you see people expressing outrage about stories about someone we've never heard of committing a crime (example) or something, that's something that Breitbart or some other disreputable outlet picked up specifically to get their viewers worked up.
ah, I see. Too be honest though I am not just talking about that but that sort of stuff sure does provide fuel for the fire.

AOC disagrees and has had enough of people denying that we'll all be dead in 11.8 years.

Back