• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chael Sonnen : Sambo sucks, Khabib is a wrestler, not a Sambo player...

They need to have special markers on this forum to prove what people trained in otherwise it's too easy to talk out your ass. Even under the umbrella of something like Combat Sambo(vs Sport or Freestyle) there are different ways to play and different eras. Judo in Japan in the 70's is much different than Judo in the States in the 80's and so on. They are not just one monolithic entity, just like BJJ.

I have trained Combat Sambo for 6 years (military, not sports style),
so i know what i am talking a bit.

I agree it always progresses.
But Sambo in former USSR countries developms actively with a lot of competitions,
academies, sports centers and etc.

No way to tell for sure about pure effectiveness in MMA, because people cross train,
but Rogan tells that Combat Sambo is one of the best bases for MMA.

yes sambo sucks, that's why it's working so well in MMA

If what Chael Sonnen is was true, then all these NCAA wrestlers would be doing exactly what Khabib is doing to his opponents.

American wrestling is about self-defense. You take an opponent down, and you control them until the cops arrive. LOL

Khabib smashes. He doesn't wait for the safest position to get his smashing on. As soon as he has even half the control, the beatings beginning.

I see a lot of NCAA Wrestlers in the same positions as Khabib, but they prefer to ride the opponent's leg or other limb to waste time, and win the round on control. Khabib does his best to smash his opponent.

He is definitely doing something different from NCAA Wrestling. Look Stipe versus Ngannou. That is NCAA Wrestling. Stipe didn't want to try to finish the fight, because position is more important than smashing or a submission (in his own paraphrased words).

Last edited:
Sonnen is either trolling or mixing-up Sambo and Systema.

Well, after a lot of fights and injuries he got exposed by two roided up BJJ fighters,
one of them was bigger than Fedor by 50+ pounds.

Sambo has proven itself and keeps being proven by Khabib, Islam, Rustam, Minakov and other
fighters that are coming.

Of course they mix it with wrestling and others, but Werdum and Bigfoot also cross train in
Judo, wrestling, muay thai, boxing, etc.

No pure martial art right now.

And when there were, Taktarov did pretty well.

You have by the end of today to substantiate your steroid accusation of Werdum.

For the rest, those guys all use far superior fighting styles. Sambo is a hinderence if anything.

You have by the end of today to substantiate your steroid accusation of Werdum.

For the rest, those guys all use far superior fighting styles. Sambo is a hinderence if anything.

With Werdum it's only my assumption based on how he looked and performed against Cain
vs Stipe.

cain-velasquez-fabricio-werdum-ufc-188.jpg

Fabricio-Werdum-vs.-Stipe-Miocic.jpg

Lean and mean against Cain, hard fight for 3 round, taking big shots without fliching

vs

Chubby and sloppy against Stipe and being slept with one punch like a bum.

Now tell me how Sambo ins inferiour to other stiles?

No Chael, Khabib is a complete grappler.

He uses both wrestling and sambo to take you down, control you and then finish you.

I don't agree with Chael all the time but will always listen.
It's nice to hear a guy just always speak his opinion and make it interesting.
So many people bore you to death with their analysis.

Just another knock on Fedor from Chael the cheat. Nothing woukd make me happier than Fedor beating Mir coming up so he can throw Chael around.

Chaels new nick name shall be "Clickbait"

Chael "Clickbait" Sonnen!

Back