• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chael Sonnen : Sambo sucks, Khabib is a wrestler, not a Sambo player...

1. Neither bjj or judo's history stems from pankration. 2. Prankration don't have the exact same techniques bjj or judo do.

Carlson bjj and kodokan judo study the exact same techniques. The exact same. They just have different names.
Plus the creation of bjj came directly from a kano judoka named Mitsuyo Maeda, who taught the Gracie's everything they know.

I'm not sure why you're attempting to fight me on something that is common knowledge. Traditional bjj is the same thing as traditional judo. The only difference between the two is one sport spends more time on the ground work and the other spends more time on the clinch work.
Do you also think Greco and folkstyle wrestling are the same since everything in Greco is in folkstyle wrestling?

Chael is a dope

Such horseshit. Most Sambo guys, even at the world level, have terrible wrestling.

You’re redundant. Of course the perfect grappler would have certain aspects of every grappling art. There are useful techniques from all of them. Some arts just have a lot more useful and practical techniques, like Bjj and folkstyle wrestling. Others have less (sambo, judo).
Hahaha the part they practice the most is wrestling, Come on now

So it's basically just MMA
In a basic sense yes it is. It’s missing some things from mma, but it began as a combination of judo/traditional wrestling and evolved from there. Combat Sambo includes boxing and strikes on the ground. It’s an excellent sport and what little I have seen of combat sambo competitions was really exciting to watch.

It lacks the complexity of all the other martial arts individually though. I couldn’t say whether or not it is a good starting place for an mma fighter, and I don’t think there is enough historical data to back it or way or the other. It did produce Khabib and Fedor though so it obviously is not useless

You’re ignoring that he took his back after that.
And did fuck all with it. Just like when Chael was on top from the two minute mark to the one minute mark, when Fedor effortlessly reversed position.

1. Neither bjj or judo's history stems from pankration. 2. Prankration don't have the exact same techniques bjj or judo do.

Carlson bjj and kodokan judo study the exact same techniques. The exact same. They just have different names.
Plus the creation of bjj came directly from a kano judoka named Mitsuyo Maeda, who taught the Gracie's everything they know.

I'm not sure why you're attempting to fight me on something that is common knowledge. Traditional bjj is the same thing as traditional judo. The only difference between the two is one sport spends more time on the ground work and the other spends more time on the clinch work.

It isn’t common knowledge. You’re changing the bar now. Just because one art stems from the other and they overlap doesn’t mean they are “literally he exact same thing.” Modifications were made and it evolved into BJJ. The spending more time on the ground led to evolving nuances and new techniques that weren’t around earlier when the ground was less emphasized.

He's right about Khabib, but I wouldn't say Sambo "sucks".

You just don't know much.

If you go through different organizations and look through the background of russian fighters, a lot of them are sambo practicioners. It is one of the best base martial arts that can be expanded on, as it combines practically all elements of mma.

Orlovski trained sambo, Islam Makhachev, Rustam Khabilov, Vitaliy Minakov(Former Bellator HW champ), Ali Bagautinov, Aleksei Oleinik all sambo practicioners and that is only what is coming off my memory.

Fedor, Aleks E, Khabib, Volk Han, Blagoi Ivanov, Dean Lister, Sergei Kharitonov, Viktor Nemkov, Dennis Siver, Megumi Fujii, Mikhail Ilyuhkin, Valentin Moldavsky all did Sambo as well. Oh, and Smoldarev, Denis Goltsov, and Sergey Pavlovich as well.

Back