Chael P: " Izzy would whip Jones"

Jones doesn't care about Izzy's power, walks him down, keeps him close, throws him down from clinch, elbows Izzy until ref stops it.
Yeah, the jones from five years ago would have done that. The jones today is too old to do anything to anyboy elite.

Imagine Jon sharing a prison cell with Chael and Colby. They'd be washing his underwear and hustling cigarettes within 2 hours.

Yeah, the jones from five years ago would have done that. The jones today is too old to do anything to anyboy elite.
Who has Jones fought recently that punches or kicks weaker than Izzy? oh, no one? Izzy has power, but it's 185 power

Who has Jones fought recently that punches or kicks weaker than Izzy? oh, no one? Izzy has power, but it's 185 power
it doesn't matter about the power. if jones doesn't finish izzy, izzy will outclass him to a decision. This is old jones, not prime jones.

Prime jones probably rips izzy's arm out of his socket.

Izzy would be the fastest fighter he's faced too.

The reason Jones hasnt looked that great is the same reason GSP stopped looking great after he was champ for so long.

In mma when you hit that level of skill where youre fighting the top contender every fight than you have to staart making changes to how you fight or you WILL lose. You have to fight not to lose and that means not taking any chances and doing what you need to do to stay on top.

In boxing or kickboxing the best fighter is still just doong what they do so they can look good. In MMA there are so many variables even if youre the best youre still walking on thin ice at all times. There arr always ways to beat you.

Great Post. Good perspective, I never thought of it that way but it makes sense.

I would bet on Jones but I think in a few years Izzy could surpass Jones. He looked unstoppable against Costa.

I love chael but you gotta take his predictions with a bit of salt.

The amount of bank I made betting on the opposite of what chael predicted.

it doesn't matter about the power. if jones doesn't finish izzy, izzy will outclass him to a decision. This is old jones, not prime jones.

Prime jones probably rips izzy's arm out of his socket.

Izzy would be the fastest fighter he's faced too.
the lack of power matters because Jones wouldn't let Izzy do anything to him, he had to be cautious with Santos and Reyes, he doesn't with Izzy. And Jones can move laterally just as well as Izzy.

Izzy would be competitive but Chael is saying this out of vindictiveness, he's still taking shots at Jones whenever possible.

the lack of power matters because Jones wouldn't let Izzy do anything to him, he had to be cautious with Santos and Reyes, he doesn't with Izzy. And Jones can move laterally just as well as Izzy.
I'd like to say we'll see, but jones is going to be beaten before that's even a possibility.

He's right Jones hasn't looked good in years and his wrestling has deteriorated, Izzy picks him apart at range via superior striking.

Chael has some personal issues with Jones and whooped by him so his judgement is clouded.

Jones smashes Izzy rather easily on the ground

I'm not sure Jon has fought anyone with that level of footwork, distance control, precision, and timing since maybe Machida. Possibly Jones vs Gus 1 but that feels pretty generous.

I wouldn't bet on Izzy today, but Jones is on the back 9. If Izzy can't beat him today, they aren't far from it.

Chael is one of the worst fight analysts out there. I can't remember the last time he's had a good take.

Jones doesn't care about Izzy's power, walks him down, keeps him close, throws him down from clinch, elbows Izzy until ref stops it.
Not sure but if he wins this is how.

Problems:

Izzy's footwork. Jon isn't great against guys with great footwork and Izzy is amongst the best at it

Range. Izzy is as tall as Jon, and almost as long but he uses range even better than Jon and has better evasive footwork to win that battle

Power. Izzy has 1 punch KO power and Jon doesn't. Jon won't get a series of strikes landed unless it's on the ground. Standing Izzy can KO Jon and Jon cannot KO Izzy

Jon would have his hands full. If he can use his STRENGTH to get Izzy to the mat he can and will win. If it stays standing Jon has no tools to beat Izzy.

Hard to say who would win. If it were Jones from 5+ years ago, I would definitely favor him. Jon seems to be slowing down more and more, though. Jon's reach advantage and size advantage would pose problems to Izzy imo. Then, there is his elite wrestling and GNP if he could get him down. Izzy has outstanding TDD though.

I would pick JJ by 3rd rd SUB or GNP.

I seriously doubt that. I don't know if Jones has declined or if he just wan't all that motivated facing guys like Santos and Reyes. It'll be interesting to see if the move to HW rekindles his fire or confirms he's on the decline.

Jones has the size , the power he also has very high fight IQ , the wrestling the Ju Jitsu all round better MMA fighter

Adesanya has the stand up

Where do you think the fight takes place ????

I remember when Jones absolutely smashed Sonnen and made it look easy . Jones tko'd Sonnen in first round .

People forget Amderson Silva ( old version ) Gastelum ,!Romero we're close to beating Adesanya

Chael is quite often wrong

Jones has the size , the power he also has very high fight IQ , the wrestling the Ju Jitsu all round better MMA fighter

Adesanya has the stand up

Where do you think the fight takes place ????

I remember when Jones absolutely smashed Sonnen and made it look easy . Jones tko'd Sonnen in first round .

People forget Amderson Silva ( old version ) Gastelum ,!Romero we're close to beating Adesanya

Chael is quite often wrong
There was added pressure from Jon to finish it early because if it goes to end of round Chael wins the title due to doctor stoppage of Jones toe

Back