• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Cerrone and Gaethje two front runners for McGregor return.

He sure has, might even have more! You are correct. The purpose of this thread is to discuss who people think he might fight yet, even if it is not in January, though I am cautiously getting my hopes up :)
Fair enough.

I want to see Conor v Gaethje. But I doubt I will, because of what I wrote here in another thread:

Let's just say this: of all Conor's potential fights, (Gaethje) has one of the worst risk-to-reward ratios.

Edgar is a fine risk.
Cowboy is an easier bout, and the risk of getting hurt bad is low.
170BMF has no risk. If he loses, it doesn't impact his standing at 155. But big reward.

But fighting JG at 155 is very risky, low reward.
  • No Reward: He's already a contender so he doesn't have to fight JG in order to become a contender.
  • High Risk: Though some sherdoggers disagree and thing JG would be nothing but a doormat for Conor's precise striking, others (me included) think he could easily wreck Conor, and badly.
And that is why I hope they fight - to find out. But today, I doubt it will happen. But I doubt it will happen, because Conor has better options (from his risk-to-reward perspective). I hope I'm wrong.

He can make all the plans he wants, but it takes 2 to tango as they say. So as far as I'm concerned right now, it's just more blabber from the world's greatest blabbermouth. Underestimated Khabib's grappling lol that's hilarious!

I think it's gonna be Gaethje

Gotta be Justin. Dustin out, Cowboy most likely fighting Pettis, that leaves Justin as the only big name left.

He can make all the plans he wants, but it takes 2 to tango as they say. So as far as I'm concerned right now, it's just more blabber from the world's greatest blabbermouth. Underestimated Khabib's grappling lol that's hilarious!

No....he said that he overestimated Khabibs grappling but underestimated his standup. So Conor didn't think his grappling was a strong as expected but his standup was better than expected.

I'm in the minority here but I always wanted to see the Cowboy fight. If he fights any of those three then it's great.

And he is fighting in January cmon people. Date and Dana denying it's close confirms it.

Of those three definitely Justin Gaethje. Cowboy lost his last two fights and Dustin lost his last one + We've already seen Conor starch Poirier anyway. Gaethje's a fresh opponent and riding a three fight winning streak (all first round finishes.)

Poirier is having hip surgery. Not to mention, he's working on building his new line of drinking water as well. Proper Tears

Both are good
I prefer Gaethje, but both are good fights

Got my doubts but hopefully something gets made. Cowboy, Dustin, or Gaethje bare all good fights. All favorable match ups for Conman. All have a fair enough chance to go either way.

My money is on Cowboy since he's busted up to shit and on the downside of his career.

Not interested in the cerrone fight anymore to he honest. Gaethje would be good.

IDK about the cowboy or justin fight rather frankie get it.

The winner of The fighter Kevin lee vs Gilespie

Conor made it obvious he doesnt want Dustin, Cowboy lost his mojo and Rda is far far from his exciting days

Gaethje is also likely to be his oponent
His next opponent should be drug addiction.
Hope he wins

These are really the only fights that make sense for him before he fights the winner of Nate/Masvidal.

The only other slim possibility I could see would be RDA at 170 if Conor wants to get his body ready for 170 vs. Nate/Masvidal; the other top guys at 170 are too risky for the UFC to put him up against.

But really, Gaethje, Cowboy, and Poirier make the most sense.

My $ is on the UFC wanting to make the most $, and that means Gaethje.

conor said this as a pr stunt he wont fight and blame the ufc some how.

The winner of The fighter Kevin lee vs Gilespie

Conor made it obvious he doesnt want Dustin, Cowboy lost his mojo and Rda is far far from his exciting days

Gaethje is also likely to be his oponent

conor said this as a pr stunt and will blame the ufc when he not fighting jan 18th,.

Conor wouldn't take a hard fight, he'll fight Cowboy and then brag about how he came back after such a long lay off.
A beaten up, almost chinless old Cowboy.
lmao. They're not even covering it up anymore. It's a hype job, got lucky with the matchmaking at 145, at 155 he only beat a average fighter in Eddie Alvarez (who happened to be the champ). Gaethje would most likely embarass him and Dana doesn't want that, because there are no stars in the UFC atm

Back