Cejudo/Moraes will be the first BW title fight....

skysolo

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
That doesn't feature Cruz, Barao, or Dillashaw in the UFC.

So let's look at the bright side. The BW title picture will be fresh.

Should be good. I personally wish fighters didn't jump to the front of the line in new divisions, but that's out of my hands.

sarah-moras-ufc-2151.jpg

BW is on tilt. Both fighters have been looking pretty beast in their last couple fights.

Should be good. I personally wish fighters didn't jump to the front of the line in new divisions, but that's out of my hands.
This is a special case.

When the UFC closes a division, they must give the champion of that division an immediate title shot at the higher/lower weight class. It would be unacceptable for the UFC to close down 125 and not give Cejudo a title shot at 135.

This is a special case.

When the UFC closes a division, they must give the champion of that division an immediate title shot at the higher/lower weight class. It would be unacceptable for the UFC to close down 125 and not give Cejudo a title shot at 135.
Why

This is a special case.

The 125 division isn’t closed

Honestly kid? You're like that impetuous 3 year old asking "Why? Why? Why?"

Because Cejudo is a legitimate title holder with a UFC contract based on intimated legal expectations that he will be given future title fights based on his current standing. As long as he keeps up his end of the bargain, the UFC is legally required to offer him title fights.

If they want to shut down 125, that's fine. But they need to offer him a corresponding title fight at 135.

The 125 division isn’t closed
If the UFC isn't offering Cejudo title fights at 125, then it is de facto closed.

And I would disagree with your opinion. The UFC are not signing any new 125ers, over half of the former 125ers have either been cut, traded, or moved up to 135. Only the stubborn holdouts like Benavidez remain, and once their contracts are up they will not be re-signed for fights at 125.

Honestly kid? You're like that impetuous 3 year old asking "Why? Why? Why?"

Because Cejudo is a legitimate title holder with a UFC contract based on intimated legal expectations that he will be given future title fights based on his current standing. As long as he keeps up his end of the bargain, the UFC is legally required to offer him title fights.

If they want to shut down 125, that's fine. But they need to offer him a corresponding title fight at 135.
Why would they have to offer him a title shot though, I dont understand the obligation

This is a special case.

I disagree. But regardless, the trend of giving title shots to non-contenders didn't start with Henry, nor did my disdain of it.

But like I said, that's out of my control, and I choose to enjoy the matchup.

Why would they have to offer him a title shot though, I dont understand the obligation
Because he has a contract and a champion's clause.

I'm not going to educated the uneducated. There are UFC contract examples available for download. Go read the champion's clause. It's mostly restrictive for the fighter, the contract automatically extends as long as they're champ, etc. etc. But it does contain provisions which guarantee the champion opportunities to defend their title.

Thus, the UFC is obligated to either 1) offer Cejudo title fights at 125 or 2) offer Cejudo title fights at 135.

As long as Cejudo keeps winning, the UFC MUST keep offering him 125 title fights. If they arbitrarily stripped him without cause, he could sue them for damages and breach of contract. And as long as he remains champ, if no title fights exist at 125, then they must offer him equivalency at 135.

The UFC want to avoid bad optics as much as possible. If the choice is between violating their contract with Cejudo or offering him a 135 title fight, which one do you think they're going to do?

Because he has a contract and a champion's clause.

I'm not going to educated the uneducated. There are UFC contract examples available for download. Go read the champion's clause. It's mostly restrictive for the fighter, the contract automatically extends as long as they're champ, etc. etc. But it does contain provisions which guarantee the champion opportunities to defend their title.

Thus, the UFC is obligated to either 1) offer Cejudo title fights at 125 or 2) offer Cejudo title fights at 135.

As long as Cejudo keeps winning, the UFC MUST keep offering him 125 title fights. If they arbitrarily stripped him without cause, he could sue them for damages. And as long as he remains champ, if no title fights exist at 125, then they must offer him equivalency at 135.

Pretty sure that's not how it works. But okay.

ALSO, what is interesting is what the UFC do to plan for the contingency in which he loses. If they are smart, they'll have him re-negotiate his contract that, win or lose at 135, he will vacate his 125 belt afterwards. This will give him the opportunity to be a "champ champ" for a day, but then that it's. And if he loses, he still vacates his 125 belt and they close the division.

If they fail to plan accordingly, they will be obligated to give him 125 title fights after he loses at 135, which is bad for them.

Back