Cauliflower Ear

Thaiking - don't let nasty ears keep you from rolling. I've got some slight swelling in my left ear, but it's all good. I'm sure bruises don't keep the strikers out of the gym - that's all part of the package. I do have some headgear, and I'll wear it if the ears are tender, but I try to go without.

Have to say that my wife is a lot more concerned about it, though.

I've been grappling for a bit, and my ears are just starting to get the damage, especially my right year.

I will begin wearing headgear once it gets bad, because I simply do not want cauliflower ears. But until then, I'll go without.

Dedicado said:
Cauliflower ears are a sign of two things: a.)You have been training a long time or b.) you got owned real good a few times.

Either way, they are a badge of honor and a sign that unmistakeably identifies the man as a serious grappler. You don't get them from skipping class, fighting weaklings, avoiding sparring or being a pussy and tapping from a headlock.
You get them for being what brasilians call: " Casca Grossa " a tough guy. Or for " Grossura " lack of technique (but big on balls).

Anyone who trains and doesn't have them ( in minor or major form) after 2 or more years is either a technical bad-ass who never gets owned or he is a slacker. Man up ladies and get back on the mats.
Dude, I think I've just been called a slacker... I think I should be offended.

Ever seen Matt Lindland? His ears are the only thing that makes him cool

Dedicado said:
Anyone who trains and doesn't have them ( in minor or major form) after 2 or more years is either a technical bad-ass who never gets owned or he is a slacker. Man up ladies and get back on the mats.
Or they wear headgear to protect themselves.

YBot-> you may be a bad ass.
Van Guard-> Head gear, right, I forgot about that! I don't wear it after I had a set stolen from me ( asics gel, really good one) I don't miss it.

Back