Cauliflower Ear

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by bigdude1, Oct 4, 2005.

1. bigdude1

bigdude1 Banned Banned

What causes Cauliflower ear? Is it the headgear?

2. 1rep_max

1rep_max White Belt

Headgear should help prevent it!

I think it's basically just ear bruising but because the ear is mostly skin over cartilege, when you have trauma to the ear that area fills with blood and swells. The fluid has no place to go so it eventually hardens and causes permenant change in the ear.

3. bigdude1

bigdude1 Banned Banned

ok, thanks. You cleared that up.

4. dabouv

dabouv Purple Belt

You need to drain these early. Needle drainage may work but often you need to make a nice long cut and make sure it is evacuated. This is especially needed if the blood has clotted. You need a pressure dressing applied if it recurs. Once the damage is done it is an awfully tough fix.
    They are also called an auricular hematoma for those interested. The blood supply of the cartilage is from the overylying lining and shear force causes bleeding between the cartilage and the lining (perichondrium). It takes about a month for this to really stick down well so if you keep traumatizing it, it often recurs.

5. judogido

judogido Aussie!, Aussie!, Aussie! ...

I think I have the start of a cauli. It's been sore for the last few weeks and there is a pretty minor swelling in the centre of the ear. Dont know if I should bother to get it drained or just hope it goes away.

Will probably be getting some wrestling headgear for future prevention.

Anyone else with "minor" caulis? Do they go away or get worse?

6. dabouv

dabouv Purple Belt

You can see if it is just a bruise. Sometimes you can get a fair amount of swelling without a collection of fluid. Ice it, if after a couple of days, there seems to be a fluid pocket, have it drained.

7. judogido

There seems to be a little fluid pocket. I just dont know whether I should bother with getting it drained (or draining it myself).

8. LOL, got luck trying to drain it YOURSELF...

9. thaiking

thaiking Guest

How do you avoid this problem? Does ear-gaurds prevent this?

10. judogido

11. thaiboxgrappler

thaiboxgrappler ******* *******

I've drained my own ears before. It's not hard at all. But dressing it properly afterward is key.

12. Ybot

Ybot Purple Belt

Judogi, I've had minor cauli on the edge, not in the middle. At worst it was the size of a pea. After the swelling went down it hardened a little , but is really not noticable now.

In the center of the ear it may be different. I don't know, other than my friends that have it there can't use ear bud ear phones any more.

As far as draining yourself, I don't know... I know some who have, but I would be reluctent. A friend did it with a staple. Said that the staple didn't hurt, it was the squeezing the fluid out. He then iced it put compression on it and let it heal.

13. thaiking

thaiking Guest

Does it hurt when You have it

14. Ybot

Ybot Purple Belt

Your ears are tender. Any pressure hurts, especially when they're fresh.

15. swiftman

swiftman White Belt

When i first started bjj my ears got *really* sore (even though i was using some old brute headgear lying around the club) and i noticed them getting a bit bigger. i ordered some Cliff Keen Tornados over the net and i haven't had a problem since.

16. can you take 2 fingers and move the swelling around like the juice inside a blister? you can tell if it's fluid.

if the fluid is near your "ear hole" then when it becomes solid you'll have problems hearing on the phone and stuff like that.

i suggest draining because when it's solid it's fairly painful, but when you drain they stitch something to pressure the skin to the ear and you have to lay off to get it to heal well. if you you keep fucking with it or getting inpacts or grinding like you get in jits then it will fill back up. it's a bit easier to go light in wrestling and have your partner watch out for your ear plus head gear is nice.

more jj guys and schools should sport head gear honestly. i might bring back my brute gear someday but i honestly feel out of place even when i wear by rasslin shoes. not that it will stop me though.

17. thaiking

thaiking Guest

Dahm I am thinking twice about training any grappling now lol

18. Dedicado

Dedicado Machetero

Cauliflower ears are a sign of two things: a.)You have been training a long time or b.) you got owned real good a few times.

Either way, they are a badge of honor and a sign that unmistakeably identifies the man as a serious grappler. You don't get them from skipping class, fighting weaklings, avoiding sparring or being a pussy and tapping from a headlock.
    You get them for being what brasilians call: " Casca Grossa " a tough guy. Or for " Grossura " lack of technique (but big on balls).

Anyone who trains and doesn't have them ( in minor or major form) after 2 or more years is either a technical bad-ass who never gets owned or he is a slacker. Man up ladies and get back on the mats.

19. mogway

mogway Blue Belt

20. Soid

Soid Renegade of Funk

If your ears are due to "home surgery" then I'll pass on what you guys are doing. Holy shit, looks like wrinkled cauli.